Raised subscription

JohnD

Just had an email telling that the Club has to raise it's subscription, sad, but I can't deny, necessary.

But I'm really posting about the next paragraph: "At last year’s AGM the Com proposed that we introduce an electronic membership to our overseas members, this was voted on and carried unanimously in favour."  "An electronic member will receive a PDF version of the Courier magazine."

EXCELLENT!   I'm sure that overseas members will be grateful to get their Courier more quickly!

Well done!

John 

• Like 2

Re electronic Courier for us ex pats fully supported but re cheaper membership as far as I'm concerned not necessary, yes we can't use all the clubhouse facilities but just the Forum & the support from other members makes up for that.

I already use the Courier access on the club website to read the mag early generally within a week of it's issue, rather than waiting up to 3 weeks for the hardcopy to arrive.

PeterT 

10 hours ago, andybeau said:

I think there should be an option for either physical or digital. I personally would prefer digital as a pdf and I'm in the UK. 

From the email I received:

"The Com want to see how this works for our overseas members and if it is successful we will look at launching this into the UK as well, giving the members the choice of either printed or electronic membership."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris A said:

I like my paper copy, especially this month 😉, but I could be tempted to have the electronic only option if the subs were lower

I doubt the actual printing and postage costs for 12 copies of the Courier would make any meaningful dent in the annual subs.  Much of the real cost is actually in the layout and prep. of the document rather than the physical applying ink to paper side.  And on the ink to paper side at a guess we pay for a print run of a fixed number of copies, one for each existing member and some spares for new members/lost in post/sell of give away to prospective memebers at shows.  As a result 1 person swapping to digital delivery doesn't change the priting costs, just means one more spare copy at HQ.  It would need a significant percentage of the membership to swap before the size of the print run could be reduced - and even then savings wouldn't be as great as the reduction in numbers as generally the more you print, the lower the per-copy price.

Personally I'd stick with the paper version - much better suited to the life in the 'private reading room'...

In my OP, I remained positive about this venture, so while the general response seems to be the same with some reservations, perhaps I may be allowed to point out that I have been advocating that The Courier goes digital for YEARS!    The TSSC has some obscure accountancy/fiscal trick which they argue kept the subscription down, despite the cost of issuing a printed version, and has used this as an argument NOT to go digital.    Well, now they have  gone digital, and Lo!  the subscription goes up.    Not that I think the two are at all associated - costs in general have risen recently, it's called "Inflation".

Many respected journals have digital versions - Octane, Classic & Sports Car, Car, AutoExpress, Practical Classics, etc.etc. to name a few.   There are exclusively digital mags too, notably "Classic & Competition Car", which is extraordinary value for the range and scope of its text and pictures.  Or it would be, if you had to pay for it, but when it is FREE it just proves my case!    See: Classic and Competition Car Classic and Competition Car - Motorsport and cars of the past and present

John

Wasn`t there a Missive from COM, some time back setting out the factors behind this Digital V/s Hard copy? had to do with Tax or VAT or something?. A pdf version would be nice to see though. As keeping back issues can become something of a storage nightmare. pdf would allow the printing off of "useful info" and or electronic storage, without the whole magazine. "Screen shots" though useful, can be problematic.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

A pdf version would be nice to see though. As keeping back issues can become something of a storage nightmare. pdf would allow the printing off of "useful info" and or electronic storage, without the whole magazine. "Screen shots" though useful, can be problematic.

Logged-in members have been able to access digital versions of back issues via the website for some time now, so no need to keep the paper version once you've read it - https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/courier.asp

Edited by Mjit
  • Like 1

On 18/10/2023 at 16:25, JohnD said:

At last year’s AGM the Com proposed that we introduce an electronic membership to our overseas members, this was voted on and carried unanimously in favour."  "An electronic member will receive a PDF version of the Courier magazine."

This makes me confused. Unfortunately I have lost the e-mail John quoted above, and the TSSC website info about membership did not clarify what options I have as an overseas member. Can I choose if I want to receive a paper version of the Courier, or do all overseas memeber only receive the PDF version in the future?

19 minutes ago, JohnD said:

You''re asking ME???

Sorry, the question was not aimed at you John, it was for anyone reading this thread. I should have copied and pasted the text in a new post instead of quoting. I will reach out to someone at HQ.

2 hours ago, Roger said:

Sorry, the question was not aimed at you John, it was for anyone reading this thread. I should have copied and pasted the text in a new post instead of quoting. I will reach out to someone at HQ.

Hi Roger, we are going to be trialing/offering  an electronic membership for overseas membership to see how it works as there are a smaller number of overseas members.

As an overseas member you will be able to chose normal(printed) or digital membership.

Digital will be slightly cheaper and printed will be increasing due to postage costs ( just waiting on post office costings)

we are hoping to go live by the end of the year, all overseas members ŵill be receiving an email with all information you will need to make your choice.

If it all goes well we ŵill be offering the same in the uk, it ŵill affect our Vat but Com feel the time has come for change.

Hope this helps 

chris 

Tssc chairman 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris @Triumph948 for your detailed clarification. I'm one of those who have been collecting the Courier since mid 80´s and I really enjoy reading the paper version, and I'm also willing to pay extra for it. Seems like a great solution to give members the option to choose between paper or PDF. It might end up with so many PDF subscriptions that it will not make sense to print the paper version to a few memebers. But then again, if all those who prefer the paper version will not renew their membership if PDF is the only option left (like me) then the club might loose a lot of members. This is a tricky equation.

Also, thanks @KevinR for sending me the e-mail that I lost to junk mail, appreciated.

Br Roger.

• Like 1

Fully understand the reasoning behind this year's increase in subs.  All of us, including the Club, have much increased costs generally.

Glad to see the option for Overseas members, which at last means that they will be able to get an electronic version far sooner than they could previously.  That makes sense to me.

As I understand it (vaguely!) there are still tax implications for only having a digital option for all, and we must of course remember that there are still a significant portion of our membership who would not access that.  My other half for one always reads the paper version but I cannot for the life of me get him to read a digital mag!

Appreciate the well worded notification from COM.

• Thanks 1

Did a forum subscription get discussed opening up the forum to those who want to have full access.
A motorbike forum I am on charges 17 Euro a year for full access to the forum.

Thanks
Adrian

Edited by ahebron