Recommendations for Tyre replacement intervals

Sue Franklin

On 18/01/2024 at 14:01, Gully said:

So I got an advisory regarding tyres starting to perish. The experience of the MOT station / garage is that it's now more common for tyres to need replacing owing to perishing cracks than running out of tread. Perishing at year 3 is not unusual for many brands - including 'premium' ones. All in the zero ozone depletion compounds...

Gully 

I successfully made use of the Black Circles lifetime warranty. They gave me an 80% credit on the hardly worn, perishing rear Bridgestone tyres.

Gully

Does anybody remember 'Tyresoles' as advertised in 1957 Motor Show literature. Stick on treaded hoops for bald tyres. Unbelievable. I have the magazine somewhere.

Here is a link to a 1960 ad.

https://www.thenostalgiashop.co.uk/products/tyresoles-tyre-retreading-original-advert-1960-ref-ad2959

And treadcutting devices for lorry tyres.

Edited by Wagger

I don’t remember “Tyersoles” but often visited Birkenhead market with my Dad to buy leather for him to repair the family’s shoes. You could also buy rubber stick-on soles with the resplendent name of “R-Soles”!

• Haha 1

The carcass was supposed to be closely inspected before reuse in remolds. Must admit I never had any problems with them but the new tread never lasted as long as the original. I always assumed a softer, lower temperature compound was used so as not to damage that of the original carcass...

'Part Worn' tyres are a local thing over here - anyone else see them in their areas? Supposedly taken from accident-damaged vehicles, but can you really trust good tread on a tyre that may have had a serious impact? I have a mate sells tyres as a sideline but he claims to only use the spare tyre from cars they have picked up at accident sites or bought from auction, and I must admit to having used some in the past, within date and no visible wear at all, for about £15 each.