Recommendations for Tyre replacement intervals

Sue Franklin

Hello All

I think 6 to 7 years max and the cheapest new tyre would probably better than a 7 year old one!

Plus you all have cars that are worth mega bucks now so say £300 to £400 every 6 to 7 years(if you live that long?) is about £50 to £60 a year!

That's not even a meal out with the Memsahib now (excluding hot dog stands!)

Roger

21 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I think 6 to 7 years max and the cheapest new tyre would probably better than a 7 year old one!

Plus you all have cars that are worth mega bucks now so say £300 to £400 every 6 to 7 years(if you live that long?) is about £50 to £60 a year!

That's not even a meal out with the Memsahib now (excluding hot dog stands!)

Roger

well said sir currently a set of 4 of the 155R13 Pirelli Cinturato tyres costs less than a monkey including Vodka And Tonic

there is of course safety to consider, which i hope we deal with in this safety film

Yes, I see that Dougal's earlier post promoting his company and a brand of tyre he sells has been dropped down  the Memory Hole.  This makes my post on my cycnicism , and the previous one challenging him, and Doug's between them, redundant, so might as well wipe them too.   Moderators, this is very sloppy editing.  If this had been at the Ministry of Truth and the work of Winston Smith, it would have got them at least a visit to Room 101 for re-education.   

Dougal,

Someone with your knowledge and expertise on tyres will be welcome here,  but if you persist in promoting your company and the products you sell, then that welcome will soon wear out.   Unlike, no doubt, your tyres!

John

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I'm really glad I found this thread as it reminded me that I had a full set of tyres fitted when I had some work done on the car at Jigsaw...eleven years ago! A quick check found small cracks developing all over the sidewalls...so I've booked myself (or more accurately, the car) in to have new boots fitted tomorrow. Just shows how useful a Forum like this can be!

image.thumb.png.9a10aba31129997becf4cd930f67c3e2.png

The subject of tyre "life" occupies vast amounts of forum time on Motorhome and Camper van websites. The generally accepted "norm" would appear to be in the order of 7 years. Tyre life is dependant on many parameters, "in use" on a daily/regular basis the tyre tends not to suffer from cracking or tread delamination etc; asuming the correct pressure range and not abused, and a life of several years is subject only to the depth of tread. In storage it is recomended that they be kept darkened and preferably removed, exposure to U-V is detrimental to the tyre materials. Slight overinflation (+10psi?) helps to stop flats being generated, better still placed on stands.

I have an `09 Motorhome, the 5th tyre (spare) is dated late `08 so by now it is 16years old and never been fitted. It was in a locker when we purchased in 2018 so 10 years old then, It looks in pristine condition, But would I trust it, even as a"get you out of trouble" fitting, I doubt not, as I have NO desire to grovel and fit a spare to a 3.8t vehicle, not when I have full breakdown and recovery, so kept at home and saved 28Kg of payload for more beer.

Pete

Edited by PeteH

On 22/10/2023 at 16:42, Stratton Jimmer said:

Tyre experts Michelin recommend that, after five years or more on your vehicle tyres should be inspected at least once a year by a professional. 

Not necessarily a tyre fitter, either. I've been caught out like that before - a big hello to a certain Tyre Fitters in Scotland - who, when I went in to replace a seriously damaged tyre which had hit an object on the road, not only tried to sell me three more but also told me the brakes were 'dangerously worn'. Not a word of it was true and the tyres were excellent, less than a year old. Someone who stands to make money from tyre replacement can be economical with the truth. 

I think I've posted before that the tyres on my Estate were fitted many years ago when the car was a rolling chassis - certainly late 1990s - and have never been out of the garage let alone used on the road, but will need changed by now - perfect tread and no cracks, but I can't risk it. My 1200 convertible also got four new tyres for the rolling chassis in 2021, and they too have never yet seen the road. I wonder how many years they'll stand before being changed, unused, too?

It appears that Dunlop Street Response 2 tyres have been discontinued: Easy Tyres could get me 2, but not 4. They contacted Dunlop to see if there was a batch in the pipeline, but no. So after a quick trawl on here I've opted for Uniroyal Rain Expert 3s; they came out a little cheaper, too.

Having been caught in biblical rain back in September, on a 90 mile journey home, I was very impressed and relieved with the grip levels of the Uniroyal Rainmasters fitted to my Vit, as I don't normally drive her routinely in very poor weather nowadays.

Something that was not understood for many years was the fact that a tyres ability to provide grip had much to do with its compound flexibility. I have seen perfectly good visually, bags of tread etc, and yet because of age/lack of use, they are unstable on any other than dry conditions. Tyre storage is another issue, many tyre bays even, store them wrongly. Justifying it by the greater turnover. Or throughput. Currently I have the spare off my Motorhome stored in the garage at home. It’s the same age as the van. 2008 and has never seen use. Should I trust it?. Maybe as far as the nearest tyre place at relatively modest speed. But no further . Not on 3.8tonne.

The 13/60 I won in 2015. Came with tyres that could easily be from the early 90’s. Never checked them as it was always the intention to replace all 5 anyway.

Pete

Edited by PeteH

Current set of Bridgestones on my modern have started to crack between the tread blocks. They've been on the car for 2 years and done c. 30k miles in that time. Plenty of tread left front and rear. Date code shows them as having been made only 6 months before I bought them. Will be interesting to hear what the MOT man says later today.

Gully

5 minutes ago, Dalek said:

Reviving my Vitesse after 30 plus years in the garage I notice that the production year on the tyres is 1968. Suppose I should change them then 🙂

Nahh!!!!. Just an MOT advisory.😁

Pete

• Haha 2

Talking to a guy who worked at Castle Combe today he says they got four artics loaded with Mercedes tyres that had never been used. All shipped from Germany. The tyres were six years old and the German authorities forbid tyres of that age. They now form part of the tyre wall at the circuit.

On 15/01/2024 at 08:39, Gully said:

Current set of Bridgestones on my modern have started to crack between the tread blocks. They've been on the car for 2 years and done c. 30k miles in that time. Plenty of tread left front and rear. Date code shows them as having been made only 6 months before I bought them. Will be interesting to hear what the MOT man says later today.

Gully

So I got an advisory regarding tyres starting to perish. The experience of the MOT station / garage is that it's now more common for tyres to need replacing owing to perishing cracks than running out of tread. Perishing at year 3 is not unusual for many brands - including 'premium' ones. All in the zero ozone depletion compounds...

Gully 

5 hours ago, johny said:

it seems the only winners are the manufacturers😒 

Does that ever surprise anyone?? Built in redundancy has been a feature of life since “god was a lad”. Enhancement of the bottom line, the mantra of “business”. 🖕

Pete

Edited by PeteH

• 1 month later...

Modern tyres contain much less natural rubber @ 15%, than days of yore.

Heavy truck tyres contain much more, @30%.

Although modern polymers provide an excellent alternative, no one’s found a synthetic compound with the flexibility and durability of natural rubber.

See your old rubber bushes lasting 50 years and new replacement failing in a few years. See modern tyres often failing MOTs through cracking after a few years.

5 hours ago, scooter said:

Modern tyres contain much less natural rubber @ 15%, than days of yore.

Heavy truck tyres contain much more, @30%.

Although modern polymers provide an excellent alternative, no one’s found a synthetic compound with the flexibility and durability of natural rubber.

See your old rubber bushes lasting 50 years and new replacement failing in a few years. See modern tyres often failing MOTs through cracking after a few years.

My modern Hyundai Tucson had Mot advisory with 4 year old tyres - mileage 16,000 miles 

Paul