Insurance.......Grrrrrrrrrr!!

Mike

Just recieved my " renewal" from Lancaster. Policy started August 2013, Agreed value upgrade from 4th April 2014 for which Lancaster charged me £29.95. Went to renew today and they want £10 more than last year plus £15 for agreed value and at the last minute find they no longer include the breakdown cover that was on last years policy...in fact the renewal policy they posted is actually a different policy! Anyone recommend any others? Mk 1 Vitesse 2.0 Litre value £9500 mileage 3000 pa, breakdown, FJ -£195! , Lanc £143 no breakdown....was £117 last year with breakdown and no change to circumstances. Mike

I'd expect Peter James to be quoting you less than £100 pa  -  assuming you don't have a horrendous claim/conviction record!

Use the TSSC agreed value process and the Panel Members should not be levying an additional charge to handle the agreed value

..... Andy

Thanks for your replies. Andy I spoke to HQ today because I was truly shocked, I have a great record, postcode etc and insure a brand new Mercedes and Fiat for similar money on non restrictive policies. Lancaster did levy an extra £29 out of me for 5 months left on the policy and told me the agreed value was going to cost an extra £15 at each annual renewal including this one. FJ came back at £193 made up of £121 policy cost, £52 breakdown( no longer included as a matter of course) and £20 for legal cover by Angel Assist which is free to anyone if you call them in the event of a claim. The Fiat and Mercedes Sport combined value £ £40000 both cost less than that!

I'd second the recommendation of Peter James. I've just insured three classics with them for not much more than the quote for your Vitesse. 

Interestingly though, despite PJ giving me a very competitive quote for my two moderns last year, this year the premium for those two was double what the Meerkat could quote me. 

Just been nosy and had a look at the photos on your profile by the way Mike. Lovely Vitesse! 

Can't recommend Peter James enough, includes breakdown and I think that is for Europe not just the UK.

However I would consider going a price comparison site.

Being a fairly young driver Peter James wouldn't budge, where as Adrian flux halved mine and by looking on a comparison site, found out Admiral do a classic policy were they give a discount for an agreed value.

Worth ringing them up, they reduced mine dramatically.

Agreed value is a bit dodgy if it's not backed up by the club. If you have a valuation throuh the club it will be backed up. If you go on your own and the car is written off or stolen and the assessor thinks it wasn't worth the agreed value you still may not get payed out in full despite the value being "agreed"... Get a valuation through the club and go with one of the several policies on the panel for piece of mind...

Will try Peter James on Monday as their phone line wasn't working on Friday. I did go through the club though, £12 for the club even though I was a new member and entitled to a free valuation, then a £29.95 surcharge from Lancaster to cover their agreed value certificate and then they want an extra £15 at renewal. I'm not entirely familiar with the panel rules but I think this is poor. The COM are welcome to my details and I would welcome this being challenged. It's about the principal as I could cause a hugely expensive claim in any vehicle so my car being valued at £9500 is fairly irrelevant in the bigger picture.

I agree with Andy, ALWAYS get Agreed Value through the Club.  If you go it alone you may have allsorts of problems during a claim; through the Club the Club Office will back you up if you have any problems, although you usualy don't.

Also consider a multi-vehicle policy, they can save shed loads of money.  Put your moderns on your classic policy when their insurance is due for renewal.  I have three Triumphs and my SAAB on the same policy - it's much cheaper!

Regards

Mike

At last a bit of sanity within all the madness......Peter James who were personable and good to talk to and who also didn't ask if it was a 4 door 1967 Vitesse have come up with the goods. Agreed value, unlimited mileage and European breakdown cover without the need to ask for anything that is not included as standard £88.30!!!!!!!!

Angie at HQ has faxed the Valuation Certificate through so from 29th I will be insured with Peter James and will also consider putting the " moderns" on with them next year. Morale of the story is dont just automatically renew.

Thanks everyone.......and Cookie how do you do those pictures.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why is my herald loaded so much? 1300 spit engine with od. And yet twice the un modded price Makes little sense.

It is the way they have interpretted the modifications, perhaps the way you worded it when you took out the insurance.

Can't say it is the reason, but "fitted with standard 1300 engine and Overdive from Mk4 Spitfire" may be better than "modified by fitting a Spitfire engine"

Cheers

Colin

£20 for legal cover by Angel Assist which is free to anyone if you call them in the event of a claim. 

This is misleading and untrue.   If they believe you have a chance of a "win" you may get legal assistance for free but the reason you would pay for legal cover on a motor policy is to cover you for the scenario where you NEED LEGAL cover, not someone to ensure you get compensation.

different companies interpret mods in different ways - PJ, in my experience, do seem to be fairly sensible about this

....... Andy 

And despite the anti FJ stance on here, so do FJ.  I constantly call them with new mods on both my cars and the never ever increase the price.  And my £160 per year for a considerably modified Spitfire and a rather performance oriented Capri is a pretty decent premium. 

• 3 weeks later...

I insure with Lancaster at present but used to use FJ. They sent me a flyer this year suggesting I try them again but once we went through the car details (unchanged from when they insured it last) they said they no longer insured this type of car - GT6 convertible - professionally done by Anglian Triumph in 1999.

The forms ask for a list of mods. Hard to describe any other way !

It is possible to describe them in a different way!

For example is it a "4-branch performance exhaust manifold" or a "stainless steel tubular manifold"??

Is it a "Spitfire big brake upgrade" or "Standard GT6 uprights and calipers and ventilated discs"??

That sort of thing.

If any part is from the Triumph parts bin, then describe it as a standard part as fitted to the other model, rather than as an upgrade to your model.

Cheers

Colin

• 6 months later...

I am new and don't know any different at the moment but perhaps I feel I had a good deal with Lancaster Insurance but it may also be because I am a new customer? I also paid for agreed valuation, but didn't know TSSC did it at the time, so have emailed their required forms and images to Lancaster valuations themselves.

Sales was very pleasant and couldn't do enough to help me.