Wave From Other Classic Cars

Dave.

There is an unfounded & unjustified stigma to the TR7 - okay let us call it snobbery to be frank.

Many classic car owners of certain  marques will not wave at anything unless it's one of their own - says a lot about folk like that and their inverted attitudes towards the wider classic car fraternity.

Other classic car owners will not accept, yet, that the TR7 is a classic in it's own right. It warrants without justification a place along side every other classic IMHO. Perhaps if people knew about the cars history and achievements through its early years "they" may be more willing to accept - however that is a very poor excuse to pin ones acceptance of a vehicle on.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard,

I agree re the TR7. My own findings are there is a clear line between those who accept and those that don't. No halve way between. Most of those who don't like them have never owned or driven one.

If you remember we had the same thing with the GT6, Herald, Spitfire and Vitesse a few years ago. So time will tell.

In recent years Triumph's as a whole have suffered from the negative comments from an section of the motoring press.

To me it's interesting to see who waves back and the reaction you get at shows with the TR7. 

Dave 

I usually wave or flash the headlights - in such a way they know it's a friendly gesture and not someone complaining! - and remember getting some lovely waves and thumbs up when I had my Coupe on the road, and not just from other classics either. I don't really care what the car is, it's the fact that someone has taken the bother to get it out on the road that pleases me. Last night it was a lovely mid-blue Hillman Imp on a country road, very unexpected but looking superb.

However: is it snobbery when I DON'T want to race some oik in his Peugeot 307 away from the traffic lights? 

so.... back in the day, i used to just wave to cars that were the same marque & model....  then, as we have become a less common sight on the roads, anything of the same marque.

Now, given that any older car is a rather rare sight I'll greet any vaguely-classic vehicle (car or bike) with a friendly wave - most will acknowledge/wave back

I try and avoid headlamp-flashing these days after a 1500 Spitfire mistook it as an invitation to turn right in front of me :)

..... andy

• Like 1

I rarely wave at fellow classics on the road - but that's just because they've already passed by the time my brain kicks in that there's another classic comeing and works out if I'm going to wave or flash the lights!

Its a fact of life that I hate modern driving, modern cars and modern traffic and the only time I get excited about vehicles is when I see something of an age. My wife laughed at me because I pointed out a raggedy old Morris Traveller in traffic the other day ignoring the 17 plate Jaguar sports car in front of it. Is there any chance we can get the AA men to salute us again , I know Im with green flag now but even so it would be a nice gesture.

Is there any chance we can get the AA men to salute us again , I know Im with green flag now but even so it would be a nice gesture.

I'd be happy if they ignored me. I don't need any other kind of harassment from them; letters, e-mails and silent phone calls are already too much. I'm at the stage where I'll crawl twenty miles on my hands and knees along a road pushing a flat tyre with the bridge of my nose before I'll go near the AA.

• Like 1

I live near Ascot/Windsor and often drive through the town in my Vitesse or Herald,on sunny days you often see old Bentleys,Astons or E- types out,they never wave ,i don`t think they want to engage with the working classes.. :)

I suppose i could offer to clean their chimneys for them..

S

• Like 1

I thought the AA only saluted if you were approaching a speed trap? But I suppose the rozzers can probably nick them for it these days, so they don't do it anymore.

There is a spot locally where the speed trap van regularly parks, motorist coming the other way invariably flash.  :ph34r:  A small victory for the proletariat.

I wave at classics as it good to acknowledge a fellow enthusiast and see a classic on the road.

I agree there is an element of snobbery with some classic owners, which is pointless as we all need to support the classic movement to maintain its existence.

​Anyway the snobbery is ironic as many of the parts used are common over a range classics, i.e. the parts bin. I have upset a few people by pointing this out.

With the prices of some classic rising some people view them more of an investment than any interest in the cars or the classic car movement.

Dave

I thought the AA only saluted if you were approaching a speed trap? But I suppose the rozzers can probably nick them for it these days, so they don't do it anymore.

Other way round - if they DIDN'T salute you were supposed to go back and ask why, and it was presumably because there was a speed trap up ahead.

These days it's the same with phone calls - you get a silent call, you're supposed to ring them up and ask what it was for. Then they can sell you House Insurance.

• 1 month later...

The worst down in deepest Devon are def MG drivers but them we have to feel sorry for them don't we? 

Even got a toot and a thumbs up on the A303 on Monday - don't think there was anything falling off my car at the time.

Would always wave but never flash but them I am a lady of sorts.  Seriously though - highly dangerous as we all know.

• 2 weeks later...

I always wave when out in the Vitesse, and generally get waves back from all Triumphs and others. Not so often from Morgans but I guess they perhaps consider their cars modern, or from pre-war cars. My everyday drive is and Alfa 159, and I give the 'Alfa wave' to others. Usually get a thumbs up from 159, 156, and sporty or older models, but not so much the Mito or Giulietta drivers.

• Like 1