Fuse box Replacement

AidanT

BW,

My box of blade fuses are coloured like this, (25 amp is clear, which is not very clear on the picture!) What came with the "Chinese loom" was red. What colour is your 40 amp? It looks like a paler version of 3 amp in the picture? Not a good idea I would have thought.

Calculation, trial and error and other peoples experience makes me think 10 amp sufficient for my headlights, which are halogen. 

As we've already discussed, there was previously NO high and low beam fuse! That's why you bought the "Chinese loom"  :lol:  The light switch is still unfused, but now operating head light relays at very low current. It also supplies the red fuse, which is a...…..fuse.

871407785_fuseolour.PNG.cb18aa9cf0991885908348a7a3e7f2c3.PNG

Doug

Ludwig,

Hm, I think BW is correct, they're just sticking in whatever comes to hand. Although, I suppose it works on all sorts of cars with all sorts of lights, requiring different fuses. Mine was sold as for a Triumph and came with 10 amp. fuse.

Doug

3 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Ludwig,

Hm, I think BW is correct, they're just sticking in whatever comes to hand. Although, I suppose it works on all sorts of cars with all sorts of lights, requiring different fuses. Mine was sold as for a Triumph and came with 10 amp. fuse.

Doug

you could be right.

it says my wiring is for H4 bulbs.

paul

Entertaining this isn't it. I never thought that my ignorance of electrics would cause so much interest. In years gone by it would have been a scotchlok under the dash for any wire with power to feed 4 x 100wt spots. Now I want to make it safer its become a major issue.

One more question, using Doug's layout (I think it was Doug's, could have been Aidan!!! - loosing the will etc) can I combine the courtesy lights, horn and hazards (when I fit the unit) on to one fuse leaving an empty fuse to feed the headlight relays with a 10 or 20amp fuse. Then that's it, off we go.

On the headlight relay kit I have, the relays are operated by the original switches, but the main power for both main beam and dip comes from a new supply lead to the relay unit from a permanent live. The relays then switch this to the bulbs as needed. It is this main power lead that I want to fuse through the new box rather than an in line fuse (in this case, as mentioned earlier, the kit was fitted with a 40amp fuse)

My rewire used the same box as Aiden and went to carbuildersolutions for the cables using amperage rated cables rather than size thus removing any ambiguity. Fleebay headlight relay mounted behind the headlight. Worst problem was stripping out superfluous wiring and working out PO wiring errors i.e. permanent live to the heater fan.

OK, so I have been and gone and done it and documented my efforts on my restoration thread.  Thank you so much to everyone who have answered all my enquires and shown such great patience with my ignorance. I just hope that everything is alright with the job and that it is now safer than it was. Aiden, I could not have done it without your inspiration or the help from EVERYONE else. THANK YOU ALL.

• 9 months later...
On 13/06/2019 at 11:32, Colin Lindsay said:

I haven't replaced fuses in the GT6's original 3-fuse box since about 2005... nothing ever seems to blow, short or otherwise give bother.

Cancel my last. Just blew eight this evening; no idea what's causing it but it's the top fuse, temperature and fuel gauge etc.

As I may be stuck at home for some time I'm now debating fitting a new fuse box in behind the dash leaving the old one as a dummy, and splitting the cables to individual fuses. Thankfully the Mk1 has spade connectors to the rear of the fuses so easy to remove. I'm going to need a huge coffee / beer / vodka whilst I peruse all the threads and see what the best fuse box is, or the required amperage of fuses, unless there's a sticky somewhere? I'm a basic autoelectrician and both I and the car are allergic to fire.

F240A347-E771-43BC-A923-5022ED27C4F0_1_105_c.jpg.ea7bf049ea3da6e1d0486cef44b3a262.jpg

• Like 1

The one with the spade terminals to the rear wouldn't suit mine, one like this would do except it's from China and so not sure if it would ever reach me in this current climate:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotive-10-Way-Circuit-Blade-Fuse-Box-Block-Holder-LED-Warning-Light-Kit-FAST/392498849474?hash=item5b62c126c2:g:5JoAAOSw0l9a1HKF

Try one of the UK suppliers? One of them may not penalise you for having to send over the water.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/fuses-and-fuse-boxes#/pageSize=20&viewMode=grid&orderBy=15

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/63

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/fuse-boxes.html

And so on.

But on my MK3 spit, the previous owner has fitted a 6 way (or is it 8?) rear connector fusebox in the same place as the original. Looks very neat, and access for rapid fuse changing is good.

And really Colin, if the first replacement fuse you fit blows, that is a clue that there is a problem that needs fixing. Out with the multimeter. And wiring diagram.

12 hours ago, clive said:

And really Colin, if the first replacement fuse you fit blows, that is a clue that there is a problem that needs fixing. Out with the multimeter. And wiring diagram.

That's today's job, Clive. I just can't do anything right at the moment... so have to undo all of my last few jobs and work out what I did that's caused a short. 

Last job I did on this circuit was to set the park on the wiper motor; I also tightened up the steering column clamp which may have nipped one of the indicator stalk cables. The fuse blows as soon as the ignition is turned on, so it's something that's already live, and of course - I suspected the newly fitted radio, and removed the entire thing to no avail...

15 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Colin,

temp, fuel and wiper motor are on the same fuse, the one with green wire. I suspect your tinkerings with the wiper motor.

Doug

So do I, Doug - I cleaned it recently, regreased it and painted the body, then replaced it... all worked ok but the park wasn't ideal so I rotated the top cover until the wiper stopped in the best place, and thought that was it done.

The radio I just fitted was also on the same circuit, and of course I blamed it - it took me until last night to realise that even with it all disconnected, I still blew fuses. I'm running out of 17 / 35 fuses so have only four chances today to get it right. I've ordered more online but they'll not arrive until tomorrow. 

...and YES!! We have a winner! take a bow, Doug - I've just restarted the car with the wiper motor disconnected, and no blown fuse. Now all I have to do is work out why.

I had one like that on the Spitfire which turned out to be the reverse light switch on the gearbox cover, oriented so that the crimp terminals were pressed against the casing. One day it was fine, the next day the terminal had poked through the plastic boot and shorted out.

Hmm... that would definitely cause problems but I'd expect just that the wipers run continuously rather than blowing a fuse. The usual culprit for those early wiper motors blowing fuses would be connecting the wires to the wrong (unmarked) terminals. I think that swapping the two that aren't obviously earth will blow the fuse when the motor has turned far enough to activate the self-park - or in your case, immediately, given that shorted wire.

That said, my experience is with a Mk3 Spitfire with the single speed wiper motor. If you have the two-speed DR3A on your GT6 then it may be different.