Upgrade

The forum has been upgraded from IPBoard version 3.x software to version 4.x software.

Looking at various IPBoard support forums, it would appear that there were lots of V4.x features that didn't map very well with V3.x features and require a bit of extra configuration.

Something that surprised (and annoyed) me was that the "permissions" that were setup for each of the forum sections had not been accurately replicated during the upgrade.  It wasn't as if they had all been reset to a standard default state, they were all set differently, and different from how I set originally - hopefully now all set correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

When this version first appeared I immediately thought why did they change it, couldn't they leave things as they were?

Being a dinosaur this is a logical reaction, however having got used to it I do like the way it is laid out and works.

A positive vote from me.

I liked Craigs  ( 2002) ?  hope he's well not seen him for a while too long,   there again it was known to be unmanaged and closing ,someone had to take control,  well who was surprised when it closed down,  same problem when the last website and forum had hackers inside , no one would take any notice of what they were told and over christmas it all disappeared    . long wait and pay  ££££s   for a redeveloped site , no forum,   agm forced a forum and this worked ,( which was in the original quotation) all the old data was lost or it wasnt considered worth recovering !!   , now the revised appeared led by Kevin and thats now  been a re issue without any knowledge....is there a pattern here ???     someone knew???

its all working well after Kevins intervention and think we can all navigate around with  fair  success .

so upwards and onwards it is 

Pete

Kevin.  Further to my previous post, is there any way to sort posts by date. I have had a good look around but there doesn't appear to be a 'sort by' function. Is there any way one could be incorporated. I am probably the only member who would use it, so probably not worth while but if it's available it would be good to know where to look for the pre-set as there are probably other useful functions hidden there!!

I've been trying to like it, it's very clear and easy to read, but finding the threads that interest me?  Not so.

"Activity/Unread posts/ recent posts" allows me to stipulate "last 24 hours" or another interval, but it always defaults to "last 365 days"!  Ok for new readers, but not for regulars!  Can this be personalised, so as I'm recognised on coming onto the board (Hello, JohnD), it defaults to the "last 24 hours" setting?

And the new posts when displayed are - the posts!   I'd prefer to see the threads posted to in the last 24 hours, so that I can choose those that I want to follow.

John

PS Have you noticed?  This time, Sideways has followed TSSC!   Their new format is the same!

John,

Try using the "Browse/Recent Posts View" which gives the threads in the order of the most recent post to the thread.

All still a big learning exercise for all of us.

If the Sideways forum has upgrade to IPBoard 4.x as well, it will only be a matter of time before the TR Register forum upgrades as well.

There are many settings that users would probably like to customise for themselves, but I've been unable to find any settings that opens up the customisation on a user by user basis.

If you notice that one of the other forums has managed to implement a feature that you would like to see here, let me know and I'll try and find out how it was setup to see if we can do the same here. 

I have noticed that when I get a notification of a new post, there is a button on the message which says "go to post". When I click on it, it does just that and goes directly to that post. Perhaps there is a way, at admin level, that this could be incorporated into the latest posts listing, so that when you click on the listing it takes you straight to that post. It is in the email notification code, so it should be possible to link the same code to the latest post page.

5 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Ok Kevin, I give up. What are you trying?    I have also just found out by accident that if you hover the cursor over the member's profile picture, you not only get their brief details, but what they are viewing at that moment!!  Can a member turn this off and if so, how?

Trying to work out how to go to the latest post when opening a message

Kevin.  You might like to consider the following:

From the tabs along the top (I am using a desktop computer so it may be different on mobile devices) click 'Activity'

Then 'My Activity Streams'

Create a personal customised activity set-up and name it (I have one set for all streams for the past 14 days)

This listing has a different layout from the 'default' one, and shows the profile picture of the last poster to that stream and also how long ago that post was lodged.  If you click on that time, it will take you immediately to that particular post.

I have found that this now works well for me and saves me from having to tab through pages of postings.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it may be an alternative for some people.  I suppose that if it's popular in any way, you might be able to add something like it as a tab at the top and everyone could customise it to suit themselves.  Hope this helps you in some way.

By the way, I have just found out that if you click the 'time' (one hour ago etc) on any of the pages, in goes to that posting.

• 1 month later...

Over the past ten days or so, I have been having trouble logging on to the forum from both desktop pc and tablet. I just got a message of rejection. I did not make a note of the details, but it seems to have coincided with a Firefox browser update. Has anyond else experienced this. Thought it may have been a virus, but a full sweep of anti virus, malware, spyware shows nothing. Appears to have cleared for the moment.

1 minute ago, Badwolf said:

My problem was actually getting into the forum to actually log on. Couldn't get in via bookmark or through main TSSC site after logging on there.. very strange.

Strange indeed.

The forum and main TSSC sites are completely separate, with completely separate login databases - although there is nothing to stop you from having the same identity and password on both, any changes to one are not synchronised to the other.

The link on the main TSSC site to the Forum (left hand side about half way down) hyperlinks to http://forum.tssc.org.uk/ regardless of whether you are logged in to the main site or not.

After the Forum upgrade, only shortcuts to http://forum.tssc.org.uk/ worked, as all the old locations for everything else changed with the upgrade - but you problem occurred with new shortcuts after the Forum upgrade, after your Firefox upgrade, so one can only assume its something to do with Firefox.

It all works fine for me with Internet Explorer 11, running on Windows 7 professional on one computer and Enterprise on the other, as well as Safari under IOS 11 on my iPhone and Chrome on my Android phone.