Spitfire 1500 Dash

Anglefire

Slightly hypothetical question.

Is it easy to remove and refit the dash on a 1977 1500 Spitfire?

The only reason I ask is that having found a template for the dash I was considering getting my Dad to make me a new one as the current one is, well actually fine as it goes, but looks like ply thats been varnished.

My Dad was a woodwork master and cabinet maker in his spare time and since retirement has been doing more antique restoration - and I mentioned it to him and he has all the materials required to do a new one - with many different options for the veneer. Everything from Walnut, Elm, Oak Blackbean some are also in Burr some not!

My wooden dashboard was in dreadful state when I got it from the scrapyard. A friend of mine who was a cabinet maker got me some veneer and taught me how to apply it. Now, even after 30 years it looks pretty good. Part of it can be seen on the 'Instrument lighting - Vitesse' thread, although the woodwork is a little dark. You might get your Dad to try veneering yours before making a brand new one. He can always make an exact template from yours while working on the original one, for record purposes. When you do remove the dash take it slowly and carefully. Lable every cable that you disconnect, you will regret it if you don't (I didn't and it took me ages to sort out with the circuit diagram) and take plenty of photographs for reference.

Thanks guys - all the material is of the shelf so not worried about making new from scratch - especially as I might either add or relocate some of the gauges - and there are a couple of switches that are "new" and just don't really work in the place they are. 

Wiring doesn't worry me, but I take the point and will be labeling and photographing everything/ as I go.

As for the physical removal, is it just a case of removing the dials and switches and unscrewing the dash from the body? 

Remove the black foam strip along the bottom. Undo the four screws of the centre section. You'll need a 1/16" allen key for the heater knobs but I find a 1.5mm does mine OK. Now the centre section can tip forwards and you can remove the connections to the gauges & light switch. Label them before you remove the wires. Now the LHS dash screw is exposed and there's two hidden nuts holding also holding it on - one about 3" from the LHS, the other just above the cigar lighter.

Now comes the difficult one. Remove the speedo cable - should be just a push on the side of the fitting. Then, if you're lucky, you may have a choke with removable knob (little hole in the side - push in a probe to remove) but if not, you'll have to undo the cable from the carbs!!! Withdraw the knob & cable then undo the decorative nut - the fitting now withdraws behind dash. Now you should be able to pull the dash forwards and label the cables before removing as before.

I've probably forgotten something! Re-fitting is the reverse procedure, etc.

My Nearest & Dearest has re-varnished my dash recently - 12 coats of Rustins Plastic Coating!!! However, I haven't put it back in because I'm looking for a choke with removable knob. It really is a pain - especially on a PI - removing the choke cable. It's all a bit congested behind there and getting everything back in without scratching is scaring the willies out of me :wub:

Does anyone know if Spits & GT6's had removable knob chokes and does anyone know where they're available - new or S/H?

I finished mine with Rustins Danish oil. Also about 12 coats rubbed down with fine steel wool between coats. Suggest you replace the dashboard bulbs with leds, the colour of your choice before refitting (see separate threads - search for led). Don't try to replace the speedo oil, alt or main beam indicators with the gauge in place. Trapped my finger between the dash and parcel shelf and had trouble removing it. Nearly very embarrasing!!

3 hours ago, rlubikey said:

Does anyone know if Spits & GT6's had removable knob chokes and does anyone know where they're available - new or S/H?

Early GT6 had the removable T-shaped knob, I was told there were none left on the entire planet so it took me a few hours to find one. :) You can still get them but only second-hand.

Heralds were also removable, they had the round shaped one.

What sort do you require?

Ahah! Only the earlier cars. Thanks Colin. I suppose I could get a suitable knob for a TR6 which looks similar (square front), but the cable needs to be quite long to reach over the engine to the metering unit - about 1.3m, but 1m might do at a pinch. I'm thinking a LHD cable might be long enough, but I'm also looking out for S/H TR5/6 cables.

Are the cables replaceable?

Thanks Badwolf. Yes, I've put LEDs in the dash, all except the ignition light.

Cheers, Richard

I've not looked in for a few days and you guys have been busy!

Perfect - just what I wanted to hear! Not sure my Dad will when I tell him that it will be a good idea! 

And as he's 80, I need to get it done sooner rather than later - before he gets too old to do it.

Richard, long time no see! :lol:

I just had my choke knob and cable out to clean, Mine's a late GT6 and cable and knob are crimped together. The knob has a metal section and the solid cable is simply pinched onto to it. Quite crude but 40 years old and still working.

Nice one Angelfire. Hope it all goes smoothly, but be prepared for some scraped knuckles, reaching round the back to get at things.

Hi Doug - yes, no nadgered alternator or foreign trips to keep me away from the Shire Horse this month! The choke is a pain, especially on a PI, and particularly on an engine-back PI Spit as there's not much space between the engine, firewall & footwell.

Cheers, Richard

• 1 year later...

This has moved on very slightly.

Decided to get a "new" dash and re-veneer that one rather than having the car off the road whilst its done. Got one off ebay from the Spitfire graveyard - was only £30 and is in good condition.

Though on arrival I've noticed the hazard switch on the new one is located above the indicator lamp and not on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Not bothered in the slightest but is interesting! I do have to add a hole for the fog lights that are also fitted - that or remove the fogs as they weren't on originally and will never be used!

dash.thumb.jpg.a76515107a28d7a77eb84467839da576.jpg

On 24/09/2019 at 21:17, Anglefire said:

This has moved on very slightly.

Decided to get a "new" dash and re-veneer that one rather than having the car off the road whilst its done. Got one off ebay from the Spitfire graveyard - was only £30 and is in good condition.

Though on arrival I've noticed the hazard switch on the new one is located above the indicator lamp and not on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Not bothered in the slightest but is interesting! I do have to add a hole for the fog lights that are also fitted - that or remove the fogs as they weren't on originally and will never be used!

dash.thumb.jpg.a76515107a28d7a77eb84467839da576.jpg

How did this finish up Angelfire? Looking at doing mine over the next 12 months.