Spitfire 1500 Dash

Anglefire

What a difference. Your Dad has done a good job.

Slight drift here, what is the general feeling about black or silver bezels on the gauges? I have both on mine and am going to make them either all black or all silver. The black doesn't give flashback from lights behind, but the silver looks more 'period'.

BW,

Late GT6 has black bezels so black is also period. I’ve recently had mine apart to clean the glass inside, made a big difference.

My additional gauges, oil/vacuum/battery, sit in the radio hole and it doesn’t notice they are silver. Their green “lenses” were quality street wrappers, (who did that!😄) but green LEDs now.

Doug

Doug. Just read back on an old thread about gauges

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/3819-instrument-bezel/

.. so I know about the quality street wrappers. Just came across the bezel I stripped the paint off last year so thought that I would ask about the black/silver before I take issue with the dashboard. I must admit that I do like the chrome gauges that are already fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Started changing the dash this afternoon. 

the left side was easy enough - though I’ve found the cigarette lighter doesn’t have any power to it 🤔

And the seatbelt warning light has two locating holes in the dash - they are part drilled at the back but didn’t go through so dad hasn’t drilled them out as I didn’t know they were there until today. 

so do I get dad to drill them out now or cut off the locating lugs. 

and I’m struggling to get the drivers side dash out - no, scratch that, I’m struggling to get the speedo drive out. Must consult the manual.  

60C2870E-3B31-4CE4-9828-6E6CB1024A91.thumb.jpeg.678b258a1bfbb7d481bf2b6910d01c96.jpeg

I've ordered a few odds and sods of wiring tonight - just a few colours and capacities to be able to add to the harness in the right colours. 

I've also managed to get the speedo drive out of the speedo - wouldn't come out!

Still not found a suitable bulb holder and bulb for the instrument lights :(

Available as 1m lengths online, there's a range of thicknesses to suit different sizes of gauge. Cut your own and glue the ends together!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bezel-to-Glass-Seal-for-Smiths-and-British-Jaeger-Instruments-2-5mm-x-1m/132973226731?epid=21029917229&hash=item1ef5d26aeb:g:amgAAOxyZqhRiNZu

My dad drilled out the two holes this afternoon so the seatbelt warning light now sits flush to the dash :)  

Also fitted the new rubber seals - which are round section and the gauges sit so much better now - also had a bit of a clean up.  

forecast is better tomorrow so hoping  to be able to get the dash all back in and the electrics sorted.