FJ agreed value insurance renewal

trigolf

Hi all, I have just received my insurance renewal quote from FJ. It's gone up again - from £234.32 to £261.12. This is for a Vit 2 litre convertible, with agreed value, unlimited mileage, kept in garage off road etc. It also includes RAC roadside recovery, onward travel and European motoring assistance, legal protection etc. I might be out of touch with current premiums etc, but I wonder if this represents value for money based on the following facts :

I rarely manage to exceed 1 thousand miles per year now.

I already have RAC roadside recovery etc.to cover my modern car.

I live only two miles from my place of work, so don't bother using the Vit - as it's a main road and very congested, especially in summer.

I've used FJ for many years now - as they point out in their letter - but they don't seem to acknowledge that fact by offering me a discount for instance. To cap it all they are charging me £15.00 as an arrangement fee !

Am I being unreasonable ?

44 minutes ago, trigolf said:

I've used FJ for many years now - as they point out in their letter - but they don't seem to acknowledge that fact by offering me a discount for instance. To cap it all they are charging me £15.00 as an arrangement fee !

If you think that financial institutions are bothered about customer loyalty then I regret to inform you that is no longer the case - you are merely a policy number, nothing more.

Sounds harsh I accept, but that is reality.

I was with Carole Nash and found them to be fine as a broker, however the price did creep slightly each year for both my classics.

As such swapped to PJ as mentioned above and their price structure is excellent - £98 for the Vitesse and with the  Alpine bolted on as an additional classic they only charged another £65 despite the high value of the Alpine. The policy is identical for both cars along with fully comprehensive breakdown recovery, unlimited mileage. Additionally I took advantage of the TSSC AIV scheme via PJ, of which I was not charged extra for the agreed value.

So in answer to your question, you are not being unreasonable but it is most certainly time to move on IMHO.

Good luck.

Richard.

Quite right Pete, many forget the effect of postcodes and concentrate purely on the car/age/value/mileage, once the policy-proposer is over-25 postcodes have the single biggest effect on premiums. (I’m assuming they don’t have numerous arson convictions as well!!)

The other key factor is access to a garage. I found last year after my agreed value increased that Peter James was considerably more interested in the security of my car port! Apparently (for them) there is a £15k AV tipping point beyond which you are expected to have a garage.

Gully

The last time I spoke with PJ on the subject about 3 years ago) they would only honour the agreed-value part of the insurance if the vehicle was over £15k if it was garaged overnight. 

Only the agreed-value part of the policy was inactive if ungaraged during the overnight period.

As always, please check with the insurer/broker to be sure, and get anything you may need to refer back to in writing - ‘I read it on the internet’ isn’t going to help if you are in dispute.

4 hours ago, AndyCrews said:

My PJ policy for my Spitfire (AV £7.5k) says that it HAS to be in garage if at home between 10pm and 6am.

Andy

If you stated in your proposal that the car would be garaged overnight then that clause will apply.... given your AV, you could state that your car is is not garaged and they would (at least in the past) honour you AV if the worst happened - but your annual premium may be a little higher for stating it isn’t garaged overnight.

for some folk, that may be the better approach - all down to personal circumstance

Hi all,

I spoke to FJ and got the AVI premium down to £180.00, if I did away with the the breakdown cover/ European cover and put a mileage limit of 1500 miles a year on it . I then got an AVI quote from PJ which included breakdown cover/ European cover etc AND unlimited mileage all for £98.00. Result - thanks everyone !

Gav

• Thanks 1