Carpet Press Studs

PeterH

Any body got any tips for lining up the press studs to hold the foot well carpet in place.

New carpet, new footwell so starting from scratch. I have fitedt the female part to the carpet but how to transfer that to the floor? Or is it better to do it the otherway round i.e. fit the stud to the floor first?

Pete and Doug,

I don't know if my male press-studs are in the usual place or not, but they are located on the front face of the cross member located just in front of the seat and fastened in place with pop-rivets. The rear of the foot well carpet is therefore attached vertically. I've attached a picture which might help.

Wayne

IMG_1393.JPG

7 hours ago, PeterH said:

Or is it better to do it the otherway round i.e. fit the stud to the floor first?

My sailmaker son reckons to fit to the solid structure (floor) first and then you feel through the carpet to line it up, using a bradawl to poke through if required.

Dick

Most poppers are pop riveted in place be  they hood or carpet

Trouble is you need a small diameter rivet  gun nozzle as it has to fit inside the popper , to pull it up securely, 

Most guns  nozzles are too big  and sit on top of the popper  

Screw heads are often too deep and this prevents the popper top from fitting   ok.

Pete

thanks Doug

i thought poppers were a bit on the small side,  when waffling 

that screw looks a good call for some sealer under it dont want any wet/rust creep.

keep fingers away from the spikes   easy  enough to tap the claw over ...wheres the sticky plasters

Pete

My carpets came from Newton Com. complete with a very similar fixing, but minus the screw. I though to use 'pop' rivets. I like Dick's son's idea but with the moulded plastic backed carpet it is very difficult to feel the stud, and I didn't want to keep bodging through to find it. I might try making a paper template.

Peter

Beautiful day in Devon too. Too nice to fiddle about with the car must get out and DRIVE IT.

Peter, I have the same moulded plastic backed carpet as you and decided to use some heavy duty 'hook & fluff' (velcro) strips glued in place.  Carpets have not moved in 10 years, easy to remove and helps prevent a source of rust. Not original i know but.....  Dick

ps Classic English theme at Crotch Cooler gathering at Alton or sailing?  Harbour busy, leave weekends to the working classes (bad luck chaps) so that's sorted.

• 1 month later...

Bit late on the reply, but I just fitted some newton moulded carpets.  I put chalk on the floor studs, put the carpet in place then pressed down on the studs.  The chalk mark transfers to the back of the carpet. Then make a hole thru the carpet as a central position, then put the popper on the carpet.  Simples.

Dave

====

• Thanks 1

Good thinking Dave,( Where can I get some chalk? :wacko:

Also, Wayne's original photo shows studs on the vertical face of the cross member. I still have the original carpet and these are for the bit of carpet that starts under the seat and folds over the cross member, not the foot well section. The footwell has a stud on the floor close to the cross member. Just the one, on the tunnel side, I thought there should be another on the door side, maybe I'll put a second in.

Doug

Pound shops are a good source of chalk and fill most of the high streets around here.

Another option for popper alignment might be Blue Tak.  Squidge some on to the back of the carpet, then press carpet over floor.  You should get a nice press stud imprint in the Blue Tak.

• Thanks 1

I have the original carpet bits (till I throw them away)..  There are poppers in the footwell. Passenger and driver- two poppers on the floor  each side and one each side  on the bulkhead. - right hand side for driver, left hand side for passenger. I have the additional footplate on the passenger side - the number of poppers might be different if it is not there.   There were no poppers on the cross member.

Chalk stolen from grand-daughter's kit.

Dave

====

On 5/6/2018 at 7:40 AM, Pete Lewis said:

Trouble is you need a small diameter rivet  gun nozzle as it has to fit inside the popper , to pull it up securely, 

Most guns  nozzles are too big  and sit on top of the popper  

Use a short length of brake pipe over the shank of the rivet, about 1cm or so; it allows the rivet head to fit inside the popper and the gun then pulls against this to pop the rivet in place, no matter the size of the gun nozzle you're using.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of rivets, just lately mine have been breaking off leaving about 1/8" of viciously sharp shank sticking out. Poor rivets, poor tool or poor technique? The shanks have been getting stuck in the gun too which was a problem I had with an old gun I'd been given and why I got a new one. I don't use one often so I broke my own rules about cheap tools when I saw one in a retirement sale at my local hardware shop (sad loss). 

I've had a few shanks break proud of the rivet - I think it's poor quality rivets.

But shanks sticking in the 'gun' is deffo gun wear.      My old one sarted to do it a lot, so I bought a new one and that doesn't jam.

John

BW,

That's good to know, mine have arrived, but I've not opened the package yet. Maybe not for a while, mother's not well so off to Scotland shortly. Nearest internet is 5 miles away at McDonalds, so I'll be speaking from there from time to time. Sausage and egg McMuffin, I don't really like them, but you feel obliged to buy something don't you? :lol:

Doug

McDs not bad as a stop-gap (had one at Amsterdam Schipol airport yesterday while passing through and couldn't be bothered with a full-on meal) but avoid the scrambled eggs; they're a perfect example of recycling. Recycled what exactly, I don't know, but old Herald soundproofing comes to mind.