Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

When I got Vitesse 5 years ago I replaced all hydraulic seals.

Clutch M/C went through 2 kits in a few couple of years (problem with the small seals, as no clutch, rather than large seal leaking a bit).  Replaced with Landy one for a tenner, inc postage. Slightly different size, bit more pressure needed, though now disengages about a 1/3 way up on travel, which is an improvement, as before was near the floor and used to crunch reverse sometimes.

Brake M/C seals still ok, though had to replace clutch S/C seals recently as leaking a bit.

Car is used all the time, which is better for these.

So, mixed results using seal kits. Maybe new units ultimately more reliable?.    

Dave

Edited by daverclasper
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello!

It's been a while!

I've got a new one. I put some 4 Life coolant in last year and it's been running lovely (hence the radio silence) 

I've noticed recently that the coolant has turned red. Indication exhaust gasses according to the bottle. it's running great but heats up very fast and seems to be overheating a bit in traffic.
Should i be concerned? Is it time for a new head gasket and maybe get the head valves done for unleaded in the process or should i just keep an eye on it?

In other news, I received a phone call from the son of a previous owner. He had lots of interesting information on what was his mother's car.

in old cars and old tech gasket sealing its not impossible for fueling/combustion  agents to creep into the cooling system and give a somewhat false indicator in stuff like 4 life,     next time use normal AF and it wont be a worry  !!

i would run on till a 'real'   problem develops.   if the heads off in the future then yes thats the time to add exhaust seats and have the seats recut

and the valves ground .