Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

39 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Surely, Paula, a DAB should automatically tune to the best reception for your chosen station?    Maybe another word with those nice people at Classic Car Stereo?

Anyway,

Bangin' chunes to you!

John

I only wanted Radio 6!
I kept on re tuning but no difference. I've been fiddling today and i connected the adapter straight to the battery to make sure it was getting a good ground and it completely cuts the sign out to the point where it just displays 'No DAB Available'
Bit weird and i can't see how that can "Sometimes happen" and surely if it's not powered it's not as good?
I'll fit the new aerial so it's all a perfect system and ring them again if i don't get a good enough reception.

I can't imaging there isn't a load of transmitters covering  the south east these days. 
Looks good though.

IMG_2593.jpeg

Screenshot 2019-01-05 at 18.30.51.png

With a DAB radio it will only retune if it is a national station such as radio 2.  Some stations such as Magic differ area to area no matter how good your aerial.  Also you can lose signal if driving in an area with tall buildings...... Where as FM is ok. I dont know why though? The only real good point over FM is vast amount of stations you can get :) 

Tony. 

• Like 1

Just now, poppyman said:

With a DAB radio it will only retune if it is a national station such as radio 2.  Some stations such as Magic differ area to area no matter how good your aerial.  Also you can lose signal if driving in an area with tall buildings...... Where as FM is ok. I dont know why though? The only real good point over FM is vast amount of stations you can get :) 

Tony. 

Oh I see.

Good to know!

2 minutes ago, Paula said:

Oh I see.

Good to know!

We both posted at the same time Paula, so yes you will have trouble in different areas. I dont think it will be the radios fault. you could try asking someone else if they have the same problem on roughly the same drive.

Tony. 

• Like 1

Yes theyre the ones to adjust Paula. Shouldnt need much and if you do both by the same amount carb air flow balance should be unaffected. Check that the gap is maintained to the choke fast idle cam and also that the dash pots have oil (if not the pistons can fall too rapidly and cause the engine to stall).

• Like 1

Just now, johny said:

Yes theyre the ones to adjust Paula. Shouldnt need much and if you do both by the same amount carb air flow balance should be unaffected. Check that the gap is maintained to the choke fast idle cam and also that the dash pots have oil (if not the pistons can fall too rapidly and cause the engine to stall).

Fab. Thanks!

I have exactly the same radio in my Vitesse as i wanted 6 music as well,i am only using the aerial that came with it which looks a bit like a rear window demister,reception is fine when static but crap when mobile,even the FM which is on the normal aerial doesn`t work,haven`t sorted it yet as its off the road with no clutch.

Steve

9 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I have exactly the same radio in my Vitesse as i wanted 6 music as well,i am only using the aerial that came with it which looks a bit like a rear window demister,reception is fine when static but crap when mobile,even the FM which is on the normal aerial doesn`t work,haven`t sorted it yet as its off the road with no clutch.

Steve

I fitted a new aerial today. I'll see if it improves when i go for a drive tomorrow.

Did you power your stick on antenna without problems?

Just now, poppyman said:

If your aerial is a wing or roof mounted one Paula? To check if it has got a good earth...... Stand outside the car and put your hand around the mast...... If the radio goes  quieter? It is ok :)  If not? you have a bad earth.

Tony.

I just fitted it and its a good earth. The last one was in bad shape. I'm pretty sure that was making things worse

re DAB

does need a decent aerial. I have successfully used the windscreen stick one ones. But does depend on the radio, I had a JVC that was rubbish, replaced with a Kenwood and its superb, gets a signal where the JVC would give up. And it will switch automatically to FM (if the channel is on both FM and DAB).
But even with a good radio, aerial there are still lots of places with no DAB reception..... One of the reasons that cant switch off FM.

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well it's been a while. Feargal has been a very good boy. 

over the last couple of days the clutch has developed a problem. It wasn't slipping it was as if it needed adjusting.

I checked the level in the master server and it was very low. I can't remember the last time i checked the level (oops)

I'm hoping it just needs a bleed and maybe there was a small leak? Do i get to the slave cylinder via the engine or do i have to do the tunnel removal bit?

Thanks!

thought you'd been on extended holidays

you can with nimble fingers get a spanner on the bleed screw from the engine bay, you might need a left handed wing wham double jointed spanner to fiddle on the bleeder,  tie some string to it so when you drop it its recovered easy, dont bother witha bleed tube  just get a couple of good squirts , wash off  spill  with water.

i recall using a ring spanner back to front 

failing that its take the blessed  tunnel out .

pete

• Haha 1

On my way back from the supermarket it got so bad i had to tune the engine off to change from 1st to Reverse! (no fun in the carpark)

By the time i got home the clutch was so hot i had no drive at all!

I topped it up and let it cool for a couple of hours and it all seems fine.I'll check for wet patches. You're right though. That oil has gone somewhere.

I'll have a go with a  left handed wing wham double jointed spanner if it goes spongy again. i'm sure it will. I suspect that tunnels coming out again!