Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

24 minutes ago, NonMember said:

There's a clip on the column that provides a bump, which acts on a pair of sprung levers on the switch mechanism. You can see the levers on item 19 in this imagespitfireiii_plate_ah.jpg

and  the  clip is 4A in this:

spitfire4_plate_t.jpg

Complete failure to cancel is normall the clip missing

Cancelling in the wrong place is normally column alignment (undo the bottom coupling, slide the inner column up, rotate to the right place, refit at the bottom, then remove the steering wheel and refit in the right position)

It's not unknown for one of the levers to stick, break or be missing. That gives self-cancelling one way but not the other.

Amazing! It was the steering column bumpy bit that was what i wanted to get my head around. 
When i got the car the outer steering column was upside down! Completely lost steering on the way home. Luckily only when i was loading it onto a trailer. 

I'll get on this next!

Can I have a ride on Paula's scooter thread, please?

The two binnacles on SofS tend to turn clockwise, until the trafficator is sticking downwards.    I've tightened all the nuts and relocated clip 4, to no avail.    Any ideas about why this happens?

JOhn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Can I have a ride on Paula's scooter thread, please?

The two binnacles on SofS tend to turn clockwise, until the trafficator is sticking downwards.    I've tightened all the nuts and relocated clip 4, to no avail.    Any ideas about why this happens?

JOhn

I'm looking forward to learning what that all means!

• 2 months later...

Here's a quicky (maybe)

I want to change my spark plugs. The old ones have got oiled up (also a little concerning) but i'll monitor that.

What's the best ones to buy with my accuspark points. (well not points) 

BP6ES? 

There is BP5E in there at the moment.

Hello Paula,

I run BP6ES in my Vitesse and Daimler with electronic ignition - no issues.

Additionally, it is worth opening the electrode gap a tad further to .030 rather than .025 if running with electronic ignition.

Out of interest, what coil are you using ?? An Accuspark red top OR a genuine Lucas Sports Coil ?? I know Clive gives a thumbs up for Bosch coils but I have no experience of these. Coil delivery is an important factor with such ignition set-ups.

Best wishes and hope that assists.

Richard.

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Paula,

Can't you clean them up? I put a lot of stuff through the dish washer, works wonders on grease and oil.

Doug

I take it your not married Doug?? Or just very brave........... I still have the ringing in my ears :( 

Tony.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, classiclife said:

Hello Paula,

I run BP6ES in my Vitesse and Daimler with electronic ignition - no issues.

Additionally, it is worth opening the electrode gap a tad further to .030 rather than .025 if running with electronic ignition.

Out of interest, what coil are you using ?? An Accuspark red top OR a genuine Lucas Sports Coil ?? I know Clive gives a thumbs up for Bosch coils but I have no experience of these. Coil delivery is an important factor with such ignition set-ups.

Best wishes and hope that assists.

Richard.

No idea about the coil. It's black?

Maybe i should replace that too?

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Paula,

Can't you clean them up? I put a lot of stuff through the dish washer, works wonders on grease and oil.

Doug

I don't even have a dishwasher.

Maybe a bucket and a nail brush?
Probably get new ones this time

As Mike said, oiled-up (or even just habitually run rich) NGKs are unlikely to be recoverable (though, again, I've not tried the dishwasher).

I have a Bosch coil on the Spitfire and it seems good. Mind you, I've generally not had problems with coils on any of mine unless they're really old.

10 hours ago, poppyman said:

I take it your not married Doug?? Or just very brave........... I still have the ringing in my ears :( 

I have been happily wife free for many years, but I have educated my daughters to use domestic appliances to their full potential. The dish washer is extrememly useful, come spring cleaning time, kitchen light fittings go through, amazing how greasy they get. Carwise the radiator overflow bottle and the screen washer bottle have both come out well. The washing machine doesn't escape punishment either, seat covers no longer have that Triumph smell of exhaust and old oil.

Doug

• Haha 1

In my humble 13/60 with Accuspark I run with BP6ES and a bog standard black coil with no problems at all. To be honest if the plugs were very bad and it wasn't due to a simple over rich mixture I would just change them.

P.S. Richard : Why open the gaps more than normal?

40 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

The dish washer is extrememly useful, come spring cleaning time, kitchen light fittings go through, amazing how greasy they get.

My other half is perfectly happy to put the cooker hood filter panels through the dish washer to get them clean but she'd still have a fit if I put any part of a car in there. Kitchen grease is what the thing is for; engine oil isn't.

Sorry NM, but you've got it wrong, I did my cooker hood filters only last week, in the washing machine. :lol: 

I do an empty wash on both machines after "unusual" activity, something you're supposed to do anyway once or twice a year, subsequent washes are fine.

Doug

If you get a chance to pop a photo up might help with some clues , I would go with BP6ES  ,  but sooty  or oily or both can be a combination of poor spark , too  rich, , and oil consumption  do not use any plugs with an R in the suffix   NO BPR6ES  etc.  Or N9YR   !!!!

Does fergal us  any oil???

Is the exhaust  a bit smelly of fuel

Air filters are dry and not oilled up ??

You have a meter    check the   coil  ohms across the   lucar.?  terminals youre looking for around 3 ohms  as gou dont have a ballast feed on a vitesse.

Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

If you get a chance to pop a photo up might help with some clues , I would go with BP6ES  ,  but sooty  or oily or both can be a combination of poor spark , too  rich, , and oil consumption  do not use any plugs with an R in the suffix   NO BPR6ES  etc.  Or N9YR   !!!!

Does fergal us  any oil???

Is the exhaust  a bit smelly of fuel

Air filters are dry and not oilled up ??

You have a meter    check the   coil  ohms across the   lucar.?  terminals youre looking for around 3 ohms  as gou dont have a ballast feed on a vitesse.

Pete

Ok.

will do