Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

14 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I think I saw the Quo there, a long time ago.

Doug

Many years ago, early 70's, when I was living & working in london me an' mi mates would go to a pub ( can't be sure of its name but think it was The Greyhound) on the fulham Palace Road at the week-end. They had live bands, free to get in but the beer was overpriced and not the best. One night the compare announced that the band due to appear had cancelled but not to worry he had a replacement - Status Quo. This was after their hit 'Pictures of Matchstick men'. Normally the pub programmed rock bands so there was a collective groan at the thought of a light weight pop band, some people even left.

Surprise - they started playing the type of music we all know now!

Personnnaly I have aways thought the 'cancelled' band was all a cover up and it was always going to be the Quo to test out their 'new' sound. 

I've always liked SBE as a venue - used to have a couple of friends who lived locally and one of the nearby pubs did upstairs lock-ins! Seen various bands at SBE - Roger Taylor (Queen), Marillion and the Levellers spring to mind, along with an early Genesis tribute band called Re-Genesis, who were superb.

Gully

• 3 weeks later...

Strombergs are bottom adjusters or later on top adjusters. I think yours will be bottom adjusters. Under the carb is the reservoir under the reservoir is the adjustment nut.  The nut will wind the jet up or down. Top adjusters you take the piston out and use a special tool to wind the needle up and down.

Doug

you have to undo the clamp that connects the two carbs throttle butterflies (the rear hex bolt you can see in your photo) then measure the air flow through each carb mouth with a flow meter (some people listen to the airflow with a tube to judge it). Adjust the airflow using each carbs throttle stop screws while keeping the tickover speed correct then when you have the same airflow through each carb you do up the clamp and rev it a few times to see that the balance remains true. Dont forget that everything else on the engine should be set correctly (tappets, mixture etc) before setting the carb balance....

a vac gauge is normally used to measure the vac in the manifold  ie between carb throttles and the inlet valves, not for balance

a vac guge is useful to check engine performance as you advance the timing the vac increases on a good engine you make a tapping into the manifold and aim for around 18-21 inHg

on the gauge at idle, can aid economy by driving to keep above 8-10  but thats no fun anymore.

most balance ideas measure the air flow into the carb with cleaners off.various types around and varying prices  as Jonny say you ( if needed) release the inter carb clamp and set the idle screws (not the mixture) to give equal air flow readings.then re clamp thre connecting rod .

mixture can use things like colour tune to see the state of the burn colour, or use ears to detect when adjusting the jets the best running 

you can set the balance as the factory would have , release the rod clamps. undo idle screw to fully close the throttle plates, turn screw to just touch its lever and turn in both 1 to 1.5 turns   reclamp the rod so now both throttle plates are in the same position...balanced.

so it can be very close using eyes and ears without any silly gadgets.

when it comes to jet balance you have a vernier or some means of measure the jet heights with the air piston removed  once you are happy some twiddling is about as good as it gets remove the air piston and measure the height of the jet in the carb throat  expect them to be similar.

could waffle on for ages but all this is pretty basic and easy to achieve  you will be surprised

pete

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

most balance ideas measure the air flow into the carb with cleaners off.various types around and varying prices  as Jonny say you ( if needed) release the inter carb clamp and set the idle screws (not the mixture) to give equal air flow readings.then re clamp thre connecting rod .

mixture can use things like colour tune to see the state of the burn colour, or use ears to detect when adjusting the jets the best running 

you can set the balance as the factory would have , release the rod clamps. undo idle screw to fully close the throttle plates, turn screw to just touch its lever and turn in both 1 to 1.5 turns   reclamp the rod so now both throttle plates are in the same position...balanced.

so it can be very close using eyes and ears without any silly gadgets.

when it comes to jet balance you have a vernier or some means of measure the jet heights with the air piston removed  once you are happy some twiddling is about as good as it gets remove the air piston and measure the height of the jet in the carb throat  expect them to be similar.

could waffle on for ages but all this is pretty basic and easy to achieve  you will be surprised

pete

All done!

Temporary "bolt" put in (just needed a little tiny drilling to fit through!

It runs great. It was out of balance. One was at 12 and the other at 7.

Now both about 7 and i then raised the idle a little higher using the first adjuster.

Maybe i'll save the mixture for another day. PUB!

Thanks!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9d3e.thumb.jpg.5ceb68dea1883526338adfc29b5af00c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9d3d.thumb.jpg.4592001af96bcdeba7e6a37e14ea35ba.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've had another fiddle as i think i'm running too rich. There is some smoke under acceleration and it's harder to start when hot.
Can anyone remember which way to screw the underneath adjusters to lean them up a bit?

One was higher than the other but they are now the same. 

Thanks!