Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Thats torn  off the  bit pressed into the innner bevel gear   from a seizure in the cable or the speedo head

If youmcan get the core plub out the knner gear will drop out , you can then look to see it can be reattached 

May be a piece of copper  6mm tube will fit the gear and you, can solder the square drive into it ?????

Nothing to loose with a try 

The square end faces the gearbox drive , the torn off iinto the angle drive

if the end is spinning grip it on the  spiral wound casing, give it a couple of turns 

Pete

• Thanks 1

my end cap wouldn't come out with tapping tother end so drilled a tiny hole at edge of cap and levered out. I think the bit that has broken is also a square fit into drive from memory?. Some folk have cut a section of an old cable  (a thin cutting disk should give a clean cut) and used that (welded/araldite) into place. I didn't have old cable and an original, second hand came up for a tenner (usually go for around £20) on Ebay so used that.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Paula  the round end fits into a crimped on metal tube thats a light  press fit in the gear wheel  this need careful removal from the  short cable end and re fixing (araldite ?) 

of it will just spin in the tube , 

there are evolutions of this drive over the years so they can have internal differences 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Well, the old speedo drive had basically fallen to bits. The quill bit was still stuck perfectly into the small gear though, so i reused that instead of my glued one, so a quick rebuild and it all works great. 

I did cut a hole out of the tunnel cover though. For next time! All sealed up with duct tape and it's lovely and quiet inside now.
I even gave the top of the cover a respray.

Spent the rest of the day changing all the hoses for new and changing the coolant for 4 Life stuff. Thought i might as well as it's pretty much the same price as regular coolant via the club shop.

In the process of refitting the speedo cable into the back of the speedo i found the reason the flashers were not working and re connected the wire.
So now the only thing that's not working on the car is the indicator doesn't cancel in one direction (i forget which). 
So close to 100%!!

IMG_2127.jpeg

IMG_2128.jpeg

IMG_2129.jpeg

There's a clip on the column that provides a bump, which acts on a pair of sprung levers on the switch mechanism. You can see the levers on item 19 in this imagespitfireiii_plate_ah.jpg

and  the  clip is 4A in this:

spitfire4_plate_t.jpg

Complete failure to cancel is normall the clip missing

Cancelling in the wrong place is normally column alignment (undo the bottom coupling, slide the inner column up, rotate to the right place, refit at the bottom, then remove the steering wheel and refit in the right position)

It's not unknown for one of the levers to stick, break or be missing. That gives self-cancelling one way but not the other.

• Thanks 2