Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Hello Nick,

How's it going ??

That's a good point re hot and cold choice.

Interestingly (well for me anyway !!) I have looked at the NGK listing and the following information is given:

Vitesse 1.6 (62-65) = B6ES

Vitesse 2.0 (66-71) - BP5ES

This of course assumes that the car is running as factory spec and certainly not electronic.

Ideally, I should be running a "5" plug in my Mk2 Vitesse but as stated I'm running a set of "6" plugs and touch wood no issues to date - I am certain that is the only type plug I have used.

The "P" in the NGK code, as you probably know, is for a protruded nose which lends itself to a better burn with certain combustion chamber shaping.

As you say a hotter plug may assist, but I guess that is only treating the symptom rather than addressing the cause of the oily plugs.

Pete's point about an "Italian Tune-Up" is prudent and assessing the plugs afterwards will give a better picture; hopefully they will all look the same within reason rather than any one plug or plugs being noticeably different which will confirm an issue for certain.

Regards.

Richard.

I'll pull a plug out when i get a chance and get a photo. But i remember it being wet with oil.

I did smell the exhaust (in sainsbury's car park and got some funny looks) Smelt good to me. I gave him a good rev too and no smoke.

He's running lovely as well.

Someone put this on my 'desk' at work.

IMG_2479.jpeg

Oooo! Colour tune. I've got one, they work. But a bit difficult to see when using it on the drive, however a blanket over you and the plug does the job. Take care not to get the blanket caught in the fan belt, could turn out badly. :lol:

New one £30 on Fleabay, Colour tune, not blanket.

Doug

• Haha 1

And never try to pick up the hot colour tune  without gloves, best to use the holder/extention tube, they dont need to be screwed in tight 

The plug has no real insulation and it gets  so hot it will stick to your fingers and yoy get a serious Ouch!!

Only good for idle   settings dont drive  with it installed 

Dougs clue about a blanket or old coat gets funny looks but getting a good sight down the tube is not always easy and in daylight  might not show well   ,  

We now have visions of bonnet up and blanket over !!!!

Pete

The trick I have used is get a long inner cardboard tube from a paper roll and place that over the Colortune plug with the wire coming out through a hole in the side. You can then look down the end of the tube and see the true colour without sunlight making it difficult.

I hate new year..... So i  might as well break my NYR now :) 

During my check-up I asked the Doctor, "Do you think I'll live a long and healthy life then?" He replied, "I doubt it somehow. Mercury is in Uranus right now." I said, "I don't go in for any of that astrology nonsense." He replied, "Neither do I. But my thermometer just broke."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I hate new year..... So i  might as well break my NYR now :) 

During my check-up I asked the Doctor, "Do you think I'll live a long and healthy life then?" He replied, "I doubt it somehow. Mercury is in Uranus right now." I said, "I don't go in for any of that astrology nonsense." He replied, "Neither do I. But my thermometer just broke."

Reminds me of the one where I asked the doctor to sign a sheet for me, and he pulled out a thermometer and tried to write with that.

"You know that's a thermometer?" I asked him.

"Dammit!" he said. "Some bums got my pen."

Short runs will coke up the plugs, due to cold running, choke, and oiling from cold rings.

Best assessment, as poppyman implies, is to take it for a good fast, hard run, an "Italian tune up"!   Lots of high revs, against a load.     Then, cut the engine at the ignition, somewhere you can coast to a halt, then get out your plug spanner  and inspect them while still hot - so take gloves with as well!

John

• Like 1

Is that a bit of a brown tinge mixed with the soot in the plug colour?.  No 2 and 5 plugs also can also run a bit richer.  My plugs are a bit browner than that plus some soot, when I slow move/idle around the city I live, though go a grey colour (apparently modern fuels give this colour?), with no soot on a run.

Dave   

Edited by daverclasper
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In other news. I've had to replace my clarion stereo after only 2 years as it stopped making noise.

I decided to spend a bit of extra cash and get a Classic Car Stereo Vintage 100 DAB replacement. I also ordered the DAB Adapter module so i could use my existing aerial.

It all went in easy enough, and was receiving DAB before i even plugged the aerial in. When i wired the adapter up (one red live wire and one black ground) It cut the sound off. I rang Classic car Stereo and got to speak to someone straight away, which was nice. He said he'd heard of this issue and i needed to just disconnect the red power wire. I did this and it started to work again. 
I went for a drive and the reception isn't very good at all. It cuts out completely when i start to leave London and only re appeared once i was well within Brighton. 
I've ordered a new aerial as my old one is a bit stiff and the signal wire has been cut and twisted together by the PO. Hopefully that will improve things.
Anyone else have experience of these or similar units? 

Screenshot 2019-01-05 at 11.59.07.png

IMG_2609.jpeg