Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

35 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

keep an eye on it 

do we need to specify the Talc you used  ????

if you DIY next time take the side shield off to get a good view of what youre doing 

Pete

I went with the classic Johnson’s baby powder. No frills. 
top tip regarding the shield. The talc also highlighted some cracking on a fuel hose, so it’s off to the club shop for some new stuff. Last time I bough from eBay. Looks like it wasn’t the best quality

16 minutes ago, Paula said:

This stuff was supposed to be the real deal.

IMG_0316.jpeg

5398E2FA-6650-43F2-B83B-FB219CC0806C.heic 2.8 MB · 1 download

Yes that’s the same spec I purchased from EBay , lasted 6 months , started to melt from the inside forming a paste  which blocked the carbs despite having filters . Gates Barricade now fitted 

Paul 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Yes that’s the same spec I purchased from EBay , lasted 6 months , started to melt from the inside forming a paste  which blocked the carbs despite having filters . Gates Barricade now fitted 

Paul 

5393D6C9-02FC-46CD-A1BF-754E11993D25.thumb.jpeg.398155dcff4a1f81f2dc92b70a84ed57.jpeg

Paul

52 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Yes that’s the same spec I purchased from EBay

I'm a little suspicious of the labelling on that hose, as it's not the type of hose I would use for fuel injection pressures. The "real" R9 stuff usually doesn't have so many claims.

its a good example of totally inferior fake aftermarket rubbish you can find in motor spares shops and online market places , as an example the hoses on my 74 200 0 are as far as seen original triumph fitted specification its lasting well and shows no signs of the splitting and decomposing rubbish on sale

I do have some Barricade ready to fit but so far its not needed 

there is no doubt its the nasty stuff on sale that drives some of the myths about fuels 

we had ethanol fuels (Cleveland) 60s   it didn't dissolve carburettors  and hoses were of a specification to work with it     its the scam rogues that give some simple problems a bad myth

and despite the millennium   myths my 46 year old clock still ticks 

Pete

• Like 1

I think I used to now this, but didn't record it (only getting used to the fact my memory is shot).  I think?. the Vitesse had different diameters of fuel hose, though now can't remember the details.

It doesn't seem common knowledge?.

My Mk 1 2Litre, appears to use 1/4" from tank to carbs, though apparently some models (Mk2, I think) has a wider bore (at least from the pump to the carbs).

Maybe needs more juice at higher revs?

The club shop sells a split metre of the two sizes(as well as one size?), so maybe aware of the difference.

Not sure if using incorrect is drastic (eg, too small hose, warm hose in hot water/Vaseline to get it on?.

Hose bit too big, clips done up tighter may not leak?.

There has been stuff on here on the difference (though whenever I do a search, it doesn't seem to work?).

Hope I haven't over complicated things, though maybe worth bearing in mind?.

Dave      

Edited by daverclasper
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

My Mk 1 2Litre, appears to use 1/4" from tank to carbs, though apparently some models (Mk2, I think) has a wider bore (at least from the pump to the carbs).

Yes, the Mk1 has the 1/4" fuel pipe (and hoses) all the way from tank to carbs, as do Heralds and round-tail Spitfires. Later cars - certainly the Mk3 GT6 but I think the Mk4 Spitfire, too - have 5/16" pipe from the tank to the pump, although not for the very first bit out of the tank. I don't think the pump to carbs section changed, though. It doesn't need to as it has fuel pump pressure pushing the fuel through it, whereas the long run up to the pump only has gravity / air pressure.

• Thanks 1

On 20/12/2020 at 12:51, Pete Lewis said:

sounds a plan  the old grease goes very sticky 

aha Doug's dropped me in it again !!!!

you can pull the cord/spiral drive out by undoing the big tube nut on the motor gearbox and just pull the 

thing out its a couple of ft  long 

before remove the wiper arms , stick a card pointer on the splined drive  pointing at 12oclock

pull the cord out , to re grease it

on refit turn the pointer 180 degrees so when you refit the cord the drive runs on the unused side of the wheelbox gear .

as for the motor you can remove the tin cover screws and re grease the worm/gear drive 

if you strip the crank from the gearbox turn it over 180 deg so again use the unworn 

side of the spiral drive 

Pete

Ok. I'm halfway through. How much grease should i put back in? it was gunky 

29 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the park sweeper is the weak link if its broken yours looks fine 

The other weak link in the park mechanism is the pair of copper rivets that attach the contact plate - just near your thumb in the last photo. Those form the electrical connection to the parking circuit, and they corrode. If you don't have a good electrical connection, they can be replaced with small brass bolts and nuts.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NonMember said:

The other weak link in the park mechanism is the pair of copper rivets that attach the contact plate - just near your thumb in the last photo. Those form the electrical connection to the parking circuit, and they corrode. If you don't have a good electrical connection, they can be replaced with small brass bolts and nuts.

They are tight and look good.

8DB5FE1B-0F8A-4AD7-85A1-FFC21100C11F.jpeg