Twin SU Heat Shield, Bling or Benefit?

DCZ1643

Hi All....

I intend to service/re-build my twin SU's over the winter, on my 1974 1300 Spit, as they sometimes stick. I have been considering adding a stainless steel heat shield whilst I have the carbs off.

My question is, does a heat shield bring any mechanical benefit to the car, or is it just cosmetic.

Cheers...Derek

In Arizona  or Australia, probably a good idea. In the UK, probably bling. But I do like bling! I've never encountered fuel vaporisation in my car and I've had it 40 odd years through some very hot summers. 

You live in Maidenhead! Why aren't you coming to the Shire Horse, 8pm, every 2nd Tuesday?!! :lol:

Doug

I agree with Doug,  most vapourisation events are often down to other reasons 

And its done 40 years without the need, modern fuels are a tad different ot to good old stuf but not enough to loose sleep, over

The aftermarket is full of must haves you dont need   or maybe you do

Pete

I disagree.

When I bought my Vitesse, one of the big issues early on was the problem of restarting after having switched the engine off and then trying to restart again some ten minutes later. I purchased a set of s/s heat shields and this cured the problem.

Since then I have added additional factors to ensure vaporisation is dealt with as much as possible..

Any system or effective barrier placed between a heat source and the potential issue has to be a sensible move. 

Regards.

Richard. 

Thanks for getting back to me guys.... I am doing the "France 2019 RBRR" with Club Triumph and I am not sure what the temperatures will be next year, so I am trying to plan ahead and make sure my Spit can cope with long distances in high temperatures, if it needs to. I think I will fit a nice heat shield, as it may help mechanically, also I do like a bit of bling!

Cheers....Derek

A few years ago now when I fitted twin carbs to my Herald I made up a heatshield from an odd piece of steel I had kicking around. It's not pretty but it does provide a useful spot to mount the throttle cable to, plus I have far fewer - practically none, thinking about it - of the issues that I used to put down to fuel vapourisation with the old Solex carb.

1 hour ago, DCZ1643 said:

Thanks for getting back to me guys.... I am doing the "France 2019 RBRR" with Club Triumph and I am not sure what the temperatures will be next year, so I am trying to plan ahead and make sure my Spit can cope with long distances in high temperatures, if it needs to. I think I will fit a nice heat shield, as it may help mechanically, also I do like a bit of bling!

Cheers....Derek

Do you mean the 10cr? Or is there a France specific event (not seen any mention of one, but I seem to miss a lot of stuff!)

Done 10cr a couple of time, our car was "car of the event" in 2015, amazing as it is ford powered... Anyway, expect possibility of high temps, near freezing too at top of passes ( literally) and some sustained high speed stuff, us plenty of sustained climbs which do work the engine hard and the temp gauge to climb. Most important to get the carbs and timing set spot on, but most of all good brakes! 

Back to heat shield, I would fit one. The later cars had asbestos (probably the real McCoy) shields, not sure about the mkIV. Check you have correctly rated R9 fuel hoses and cooling system works well.

Thanks Guys....

Clive....

It is the 2019 France RBRR, it has been organised by Darren Sharp at Club Triumph. A company called Scenic Car Tours are organising the trip on behalf of CT, we set off on the 4th June. It's a 2000 mile trip but as we live in the NE, it will be more like 2600 miles for us. 

Thanks for the great advice, I am considering the following for my Spit: Replace the radiator with an aluminium dual core radiator (The radiator isn't great anyway, it does weep a bit). Changing the cooling pipes for silicon. Using waterless coolant. Adding an electronic fan. Changing to electronic ignition and maybe an electric fuel pump.

The brakes do not have a servo but they are now decent, with new pads fitted up front and I will replace the rear shoes before we go.

Any opinions on the best things to upgrade would be appreciated.....Derek

Hi Derek,

I suspect an electric fan is not required.... I have a '78 1500 Spitfire and with a wide rad, good thermostat, water pump and cooling system in good condition I can't get it to overheat even when doing climbs like the Stelvio. (Oil cooling on a 1500 is a different matter entirely, but yours is a 1300)

The only non-standard parts with my cooling system are the earlier wider rad and I've changed the water pump and fan for the ones WITHOUT the viscous coupling.

I would highly recommend switching to a drop-in points replacement electronic ignition - I did mine years ago and it's been utterly trouble free (relatively cheap too) and carry a spare rotor arm and dizzy cap. Get them from a reputable source like Dizzy Doctor

Brake pads I would recommend Mintex M1144 compound. If you replace the rear shoes try and get some miles on and re-adjust before the trip, get them well bedded in.

W.r.t. fuel pump I know plenty of people have had problems with the new ones being supplied. I carry a known good OLD one in the boot just in case.

Silicone hoses definitely a very good idea. Rad, I would just fit a new wide one, £100ish. Wouldn't bother with waterless coolant, old blue antifreeze at 30% is just fine. (That is what I use on my spit with modern 16v engine and "adequate"bhp.)

So Sam is on the money. Especially regards brakes. Fuel pumps, if yours is good, use it. And maybe a known good spare. If you want electric, Huco are excellent and available in the correct psi rating. Have wondered if a pump off a carb-ed motor bike would be ideal, something about 600cc engine? Self regulating and bombproof.

Must go, on hols and off to the bar....

When my Spitfire 1300 was in standard trim (standard cam/cast iron manifold/HS2 carbs/no heat shield) I didn't have any issues with fuel vaporization.

Once it had been tweaked up a bit (hotter cam/tubular SS manifold/HS4 carbs/no heat shield) it was again fine most of the year - but get caught in some stop/go motorway traffic on a summer's day and it would soon be caughing and splittering away for half a mile after traffic started moving again.  Added a head shield and not had any issues since.

So in standard trim you don't NEED one - but, other than making it a little harder to check the dip stick it's not going to cause any issues either.  A tuned car will also be fine without 90% of the time, but it will help for theother 10%.

1 hour ago, clive said:

Silicone hoses definitely a very good idea. Rad, I would just fit a new wide one, £100ish. Wouldn't bother with waterless coolant, old blue antifreeze at 30% is just fine. (That is what I use on my spit with modern 16v engine and "adequate"bhp.)

So Sam is on the money. Especially regards brakes. Fuel pumps, if yours is good, use it. And maybe a known good spare. If you want electric, Huco are excellent and available in the correct psi rating. Have wondered if a pump off a carb-ed motor bike would be ideal, something about 600cc engine? Self regulating and bombproof.

Must go, on hols and off to the bar....

If you went for a HUCO pump this impact switch on EBay looks good value https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292774156877?

Paul

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:03, dougbgt6 said:

In Arizona  or Australia, probably a good idea. In the UK, probably bling. But I do like bling! I've never encountered fuel vaporisation in my car and I've had it 40 odd years through some very hot summers. 

You live in Maidenhead! Why aren't you coming to the Shire Horse, 8pm, every 2nd Tuesday?!! :lol:

Doug

I know I keep meaning to. If you see a Royal blue mk2 spit about that's me sometimes driving through Twyford on my way to work in Wokingham (sunny days only)

I think I may have seen you! You still have the curse of work? My condolences. There are quite a few still working at East Berks, no pipes or sandals, but quite a few beards. We are mainly interested in Triumphs, beer and ladies. But not necessarily in that order.

Doug