Haynes Manual for Vitesse/GT6 cheapish on Ebay

I also have one of these, rarer than Haynes, some of it better, some of it not, but useful. Like John InterEurope lives in the garage, Haynes in the lounge. Do I have to give InterEurope back after Brexit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Workshop-Manual-Triumph-Vitesse-1966/dp/B0014E8VFM/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1541611980&sr=8-24&keywords=triumph+gt6+manual

db

That's interesting! Mine's blue, dated 1973. It states it was first published in 1970 and then obviously updated to include the later models, and mine appears to be the last revised version. Like the Haynes manual it's a vinyl-wrapped cover, which makes me feel that it was designed to be used in the garage and wiped clean afterwards. These days I have to refer to a laptop which has the photos I took before starting anything; it's not as wipe clean as the book nor does it bounce as well when it slides off whatever I've set it on.

DSCF5966.jpg.d9f2b6ba08b33b2fe63753e398b7cad7.jpg

48 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

nor does it bounce as well when it slides off whatever I've set it on.

Some years back I worked on an engine control ECU targetted at a V-twin motorbike. The client had built a miniature kit-car fitted with the correct engine, because it had a lot more space for software/calibration development tools such as laptops. We were in their workshop, with the laptop on the roof of said car, trying to get it started for the first time. We turned the key, the engine burst into life, and the car shook so hard that the laptop marched across the roof and off the other side. Luckily somebody was there fast enough to catch it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's interesting! Mine's blue, dated 1973. It states it was first published in 1970 and then obviously updated to include the later models, and mine appears to be the last revised version. Like the Haynes manual it's a vinyl-wrapped cover, which makes me feel that it was designed to be used in the garage and wiped clean afterwards. These days I have to refer to a laptop which has the photos I took before starting anything; it's not as wipe clean as the book nor does it bounce as well when it slides off whatever I've set it on.

DSCF5966.jpg.d9f2b6ba08b33b2fe63753e398b7cad7.jpg

Mine is a third edition from 1973.

Capture08-11.JPG

Apparently they changed it for the USA audience as children wouldn't be interested in a book with the word 'Philosopher' in the title. JK Rowling didn't object as she wasn't as well known then as now but later claimed she would have.

They also changed words like 'crumpet' to 'muffin' to suit the language differences.

(I suppose 'Crumpet the Mule' wouldn't sound quite right either.)