Wet floor pans

Ben Venis

I seem to be having trouble with wet floor pans in my Herald 13/60 saloon, the floors in the front are both completely saturated, I have removed the drain plugs to help drain the floors but can't seem to figure out where the water is coming in? Help would be much appreciated as fairly new to owning her!

20181213_105013.jpg

Hi Ben 

I would check all door seals and A post seals are intact. Check for corrosion on A post gutter, water can enter here and run inside A post.. Check plastic curtain inside door is in place , should be attached to bottom of window inside door. Check all grommets in bulkhead are sealed. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Hello Ben,

Another common culprit is the bottom of each window corner, where water tends to pool. If the seal is not sealed here properly, then water will make its way through and run down the A posts / panels.

Have you driven the car in the rain to ascertain if the windscreen is sealed against the rubber properly ?? It will not take long before water seeps through and you should be able to see that by looking at each of the corners where the dash is.

The other aspects flagged above are suspects, however I get the impression you are getting a lot of water in the car so there must be a significant leak somewhere.

It will be worth getting one of those dehumidifiers that you can put in the microwave to dry out and reuse, in fact the club shop sells them and on offer very recently.

I would also suggest removing all the carpets until you have identified the issue, they will take a long time time to dry out properly and may already be past the point that the damp smell is fixed in to the fabric which is very difficult to eradicate fully.

Good luck.

Richard.

Hi Ben, The trick i used to use for finding water leaks, is to spray talcum powder (dont use the wife's best stuff)  all around every where.  The water will leave a trail in the powder and lead you to the leak :)  Plus it makes the car smell nice as well. One place that can be a problem is the behind the door cards if the membrane has been removed so put some talc around the bottom of these as well. As above Good luck, But the talc trick should sort it.

Tony.

• Like 2

Have you checked the bulk head for leaks. My major leak in my vitesse was the steering column . The rubber gasket had perished and when it rained the water would drip onto my feet and of course I couldn’t move them out of the way. Changing the rubber gasket was an easy job

Pailm

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

And the elephant in the room that no one has mentioned, the windscreen rubber seal, a bugger to fix!

Hello Dave,

Apologies, not clear in my last thread. I was indeed referring to the windscreen seal where it curves at the bottom on each corner, it tends to pool here.

Doug has clarified the point.

You can get away, sometimes, by injecting silicon sealant in to the windscreen rubber seal at the leak point. But in the long run the only safe option is to replace it with a new one [rubber seal] and ensure that there is silicone in the gap all the way around prior to fitting the glass in to the seal, that way it compresses properly and spreads evenly ensuring a watertight seal.

Regards.

Richard. 

yes thats a  good call , there is a flap that sort of seals the drain hole in the heater air box( plenum) on a herald its down below the heater motor by the side of the battery,  these get clogged with old leaves and debris and heavy rain down the intake all overflows and spills ouf of the heater outlets ,  this can be a lot of water in a torrent

pete

• Like 1

First check the water is not coming through the throttle cable grommet and the bolts holding the pedal boxes in place or any other bolts on the bulkhead. Then check the pedal boots/covers for cracks and they are seated correctly in the grooves in the bulkhead. If they both look in good condition and are seated correctly then used some sealer where they fit, grooves, into the bulkhead.

It maybe you need to replace the pedal covers/boots.

Dave