Slick 50 engine treatement

daverclasper

I used to use it all the time, but haven't recently. I remember various arguments on (this?) forum claiming that if it did any good, the oil manufacturers would have included it in their oil; which I don't follow, as with the usual cost-cutting and penny pinching I reckon they'd give you the bare minimum, and let you add anything else you needed yourself. 

Never did my cars any harm that I'm aware of, and since some of my vehicles ended up with quite astronomical mileage, it might even have helped; but then so does regular oil changing with quality oil.

Hi Dave,

quality oil for the right car and even the relatively cheap 'classic' stuff (Halfords etc)  in the right car will give you many miles of trouble free motoring.

Simply sticking another £10 or £20 note in the oil filler may simple be a waste of time.

Change the oil when it is tired - 3000 to 5000 miles & new filter and stay happy.  There are no miracles on the high street.

Roger

Do they still sell those. What a load of bunk. Surprised they can legally, never mind morally, make those claims. I suppose some people complain, hopefully get their money back. Others can't be bothered and that's a lot of money in the bank.

And thanks for your response's. 

Edited by daverclasper

yes there stiil available on fleabay.

a tigers tail had more effect if you remember  Esso   ' put a tiger in your tank,'    

when i bought my Vit6 it had a tubular lead in line  converter in the engine bay,  the first thing to get removed .

dont buy any addatives ,just buy fuel

use car......more smiles  

Pete

• Thanks 1

A friend has a Morris Minor, a Riley Elf, an MGB GT, Two Mercs and a go faster Ford. He has  "lozenge" thingies in all of them, he won't be dissuaded, there's nothing you can say will persuade him it's useless.  "It works, I know it'll work!" A bit like arguing with a Brexitier really. :lol:

Doug

42 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

A friend has a Morris Minor, a Riley Elf, an MGB GT, Two Mercs and a go faster Ford. He has  "lozenge" thingies in all of them, he won't be dissuaded, there's nothing you can say will persuade him it's useless.  "It works, I know it'll work!" A bit like arguing with a Brexitier really. :lol:

Doug

Not quite; Brexiteers might LIKE to use one, but are being prevented by Remoaners who want a second vote before they let them put it in, they want a guarantee that the UK petrol station which sold the fuel can still smuggle it in from the continent after Brexit, and require a backstop which states that in the case of any doubt, the car is NEVER to be tested to see if the fuel additive actually does work, to protect the jobs of those who make them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

Is there no escape even on a car forum from those who want to stay tied to an organisation who's idea of democracy is to keep having votes till they get the " correct answer".

Regards

Paul

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

probably  been made from  a  freshly nicked  recycled church roof         

how you extract lead molecules from soaking in petrol must defy all rules in chemistry  or whatever  even jap beer 

Pete                                                                              

Maybe we need to have a vote about "should we have a vote"

Before that could even happen we need to vote about what the question will be.

Anyway, back to the issue . . . Additives...... I've got one of those Esso tiger tails hanging on the rear view mirror and yes it does work. Although i'm not sure what it is supposed to do I am convinced that it does work, so there!

I guess some folk may say, to vote on a subject that may have been portrayed with false promises, or even lies, is not democratic.

I quite like the idea of a vintage tiger tail. Might have a look on ebay.

PS. Quite a few on ebay, original are dear 

Edited by daverclasper

18 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

I guess some folk may say, to vote on a subject that may have been portrayed with false promises, or even lies, is not democratic.

Mine is an original, a friend in my local car club spotted some on a French site as part of an old garage clearing out. In all 4 of us in the club bought one. Yes a bit pricey but what the heck....

New and still in packaging

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Is there no escape even on a car forum from those who want to stay tied to an organisation who's idea of democracy is to keep having votes till they get the " correct answer".

Regards

Nope, none at all.

My son-in-law is from the Irish Republic. His parents were over recently and told me referendums are part of their constitution, they happen regularly. If their government doesn't get the vote they want the referendum is repeated at a later date. The justification is, "That was then, but what do you think about it now?"   My new relatives think this is fine and are bemused by our reluctance to do it all again. :lol:

db

Hi,

If additives were useful, the oil/fuel blenders would utilize them in their products much cheaper, when they blend 1000000;s of litres at a time.

High concentration additives for car use, concerning cleaning when neglect or too long service intervals have occurred, are useful.

Todays Slick 50™ is not the same blend/product as yesteryear... I have used it in the 80's. Today I would not waste my money on this product or similar.

I have used STP™. Only in shagged engines though.  

Slick 50™? Forget it and spend on some modern oil blend.

Cheers,

Iain.

Edited by Spitfire6
Added text.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, daverclasper said:

I take it you are referring to the remain campaign promises etc.

Regards

Paul