Door & Wing Mirrors, to have or not to have, that is the question????

KevinB

Hi,

I have a 1966 Mk2 Spitfire which is nearing the final stage of its complete restoration. I now have a few choices to make on the look and appearance of the car, such as door / wing mirrors? 

My questions are :

Do I have any mirrors at all, does it look best with or without?

If I do have mirrors do I have door or bonnet mounted?

Then which style / type?

The car is white with red interior if that makes any difference?

Any thoughts?    

Cheers, Kevin  

Hi, 

Don't think I'd go out on the road in this day and age without wing mirrors. Too much happens too quickly not to have the best all round vision possible. As for "with or without", I'd wait until the seats are in and adjusted for you and trial both (I guess someone will need to hold them for you) then make the call. Unless, of course, you want originally then it's easy.

Paul

• Like 1

I was going to say that the best I've found are mirrors mounted close to the driver, which magnifies the rear view;  but as you won't have a door quarterlight in a Spitfire, would a clip-on version attach to anywhere else, for example the screen frame gutter - or would that foul the doors? 

With this type, you don't have to drill anything and can slide it up or down until you get the most comfortable location for your own driving position.There are quite a few varieties for sale, rimless, framed, round, rectangular so it's really personal choice... as long as you can get it to fit somewhere....

mirror.JPG.a18d072aa906f6b27124273a0d1f8018.JPG

• Like 1

Kevin,

I have bullet mirrors on the wings, they look lovely and are easily adjusted, using a well trained Son-in-Law. However, as rear view mirrors they are pretty useless, too small.  Flat mirrors offer a better panorama and mounted on the doors  better still.

I replaced my damaged internal rear view. New one had the same part number, looked the same, but it turned out to be a much better mirror than the original, wider field of view which compensates for my dodgy bullets.

Doug

• Like 1

Hello Kevin,

It really is a case of trying to get the best of both worlds - practicality and cosmetically.

I agree that having no mirrors is one step away from driving blind folded, your really do need to see what is screaming in behind you at the very least.

Hope the following experience will assist ??

A friend of mine has clip-on mirrors on his classic; they look neat but the driver mirror tends to want to part company with the car as often as possible; whereas the passenger unit never moves / vibrates an inch. He has secured them perfectly and identically but the problem persists. His catching is now seamless and worthy of any slip position on an international cricket pitch !! Jesting aside, it is likely that he has picked up a duff mirror as we cannot determine any other logical reason that this should keep occurring, despite all our cunning plans.

On my Vitesse I have wing mirrors and these are sprung, which is very useful as you can fold them in when required. Additionally and for me this is the deal breaker I purchased mirrors that are slightly convex and this gives excellent rear and angled vision - another bonus is that the convex mirror eliminates blind spots; basically the same principle with modern cars.

If my Vitesse had no mirrors and I wanted to site them I would be tempted to go for proper door mount and not clip-on. That said, I like the traditional period wing mounting and as mentioned their set-up provides prefect rear vision and safety.

Regards.

Richard. 

Many door mounts have a plastic locking plate which the head locates and held with a grub screw ive had experience of these not

Retaining the head, being a bit vibro, , older with a cast base fitting  are much better 

And rivnuts in the door skin  are a world away from the plastic  rawlplug idea with a tap screw to expand it, which might enable break off 

when you take out an jaywalker on a phone  , but is a poor fixing  method.

Pete

• Like 1

Another vote for door mirrors.    I managed to drop an Acro prop on the one on my Herald special...and have since discovered it to have been a rather nice Italian item... Hens teeth. I've had to fit a Tex mirror, not so nice.    (the Acro missed the door completely..)

010.JPG

_IGP0029.JPG

• Like 1

If you want to use the car apart from pottering about, you need mirrors. And as above, door mirrors actually work, bonnet mounted less so (and to my eye do not suit sports cars at all, but look OK on heralds etc)

So which mirrors? On my mk3, I used a pair of tex door mirrors from a later spitfire. But they are not the prettiest. TR4/5 mirrors are quite nice and a bit more period, if you can find them still. Or have a peruse through ebay, you may find a design that you like.

But whatever you do, do not fit those bullet mirrors....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clive said:

But whatever you do, do not fit those bullet mirrors....

Too late for me! I have bullet mirrors on the wings of my '66 Mk2 Spitfire and I'm really happy with them. However I have fitted them with convex glass as the standard flat glass gave a field of view that was just too narrow.

Adrian

1121043697_BeachyHeadFeb19.thumb.jpg.da464f6f2019427342f349f64dc6d790.jpg

• Like 1

Having driven Spitfires with both door and wing mirrors I'd say door mirrors all the way.

Sure, if your only concern is the astetics wing mirrors, especially bullet ones probably have the edge.  If you actually want to see what's behind you when moving though then, in my experience they are next to useless as a tiny patch of mirror dances around with the vibrations going through the bonnet.

• Like 1

Kevin

Agree mirrors are necessary in modern traffic for safe lane changing (my neck isn't a flexible as it used to be). I used to have wing mounted bullet mirrors on my Mk2 GT6, but when we restored the car with a new bonnet, opted for a door mirror instead.

I initially tried a 'clip on' mirror attached to the quarterlight frame, but it kept falling off, so now have an Ital style mirror bolted to the door. I think it is nice style and works well.

Photo of car attached and link to Holden website .

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/ital_style_mirror_convex_glass

Ian

155.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So taking all your very valuable and helpful advice into consideration I've ended up making the following decision, rightly or wrongly !!! 

I've bought a pair of Tex Classic Bullet Racing Mirrors, the ones with longer stems that allow more movement. I'm aiming to put them on the doors but wait until we've installed the seats so that I can sit in the car to make sure they are in the right position, before we start drilling holes !!  The drivers door has convex glass and the passenger flat glass. 

I'll let you know how it goes !!!

Thanks for your very valuable input,

Cheers, Kevin