New To Forum : 1973 GT6 !

Morning all,

Just a quick introductory thread as I'm new to the forum.

My Triumph history comprises a 1974 early Spitfire 1500 in 1986/7 then an ex US TR6 running a 2500 S engine on twin SU's in 2011/12. Wish I had kept both!

Ive owned and enjoyed a few classics over the last 30 odd years however found myself drawn towards a Mk3 GT6. Cars available seemed to span between basket case partially stripped / abandoned restorations or top end of the price scale cars advertised. Some of the top end vehicles are extremely nice however I was seeking the elusive in between that was basically a solid and together car that I could improve and enjoy.

Last week a scan of cars for sale on the web bore fruit and I am now the proud owner of an emerald green late (non rotoflex) Mk3.

Subject of restoration in the late 90's and very solid, my objective is to go through essential / safety items and present for professional inspection at a classic car au fait garage or voluntary MOT test despite being exempt. The MOT process is not bad value for an independent inspection in any case. Emphasis will be on safety and usability.

Just in the process of re arranging my garage / tools and creating a new workbench.

Hence to date a quick wash and vac and look over is all that's happened. Have taken delivery of a replacement gearbox tunnel cover and some service items all ready to get started. 

Photos show on day of purchase then after a quick clean up!

Regards.

Dave.

IMG_3558.JPG

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3570.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

Thanks gents, much appreciated!

The garage location in the initial photos isn't mine unfortunately, it's the location where I viewed the car so I could have a good poke around with it on the ramp.

Just been tidying my own garage which is car and a half size with plenty of room to work on the GT6. Recently completed a building project so have lots of tools and kit to sort and tidy away.

Will definitely look into insurance valuation.

Interior wise I'm not usually keen on non standard retrims however this was completed some 20 years ago when the car was restored and I think the colour really works with the green bodywork and walnut veneer dash.

She's a non overdrive car which doesn't phase me as I understand top gear ratios to be similar with the different spec final drive.

I'm keen on retaining the steel wheels as I think they really suit the Mk3.

Hoping to get stuck into some initial / investigative jobs next week. Updates to follow!!

BF,

Nice car, still got the Leyland decals on the wings! Most cars seem to have lost those. 

With you all the way on steel wheels. I don't have overdrive, I sometimes think about conversion, but then I check the cost. :o  Do I need it? I find the way it works fascinating and that's the attraction for me, the technology. People I know who have it say "Relaxed motorway driving" but they all  have sports exhausts and can't take the high rev noise. :lol:

Doug

10 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

BF,

Nice car, still got the Leyland decals on the wings! Most cars seem to have lost those. 

With you all the way on steel wheels. I don't have overdrive, I sometimes think about conversion, but then I check the cost. :o  Do I need it? I find the way it works fascinating and that's the attraction for me, the technology. People I know who have it say "Relaxed motorway driving" but they all  have sports exhausts and can't take the high rev noise. :lol:

Doug

Fitted a John Kipping J type overdrive conversion to my Vitesse many years ago, well worthwhile to lose about a thousand rpm at seventy.

Standard exhaust and as I live in Norfolk no motorways.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

13 hours ago, poppyman said:

I thought they only did exceedingly good cakes??

Tony.

Not good cakes their mini batenbergs are covered in an almond flavoured paste.

Should be proper marzipan, better off if they stuck to overdrive conversions with real EP90.

Regards

Paul

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

I thought marzipan WAS almond flavoured paste? Horrible stuff, don't like it, although I like almonds, odd. :wacko:

db

In advertising as I understand it.

Almond flavoured paste usually does not contain almonds.

Made with almonds can be a small percentage of almond.

Made from is the real McCoy.

As to likes and dislikes, like tomatoes hate tomato ketchup and baked beans.

Are the thread drift police going to come knocking at two in the morning?.

Regards

Paul

Haha this is just the best forum, where else can you go from a GT6 to dairylee, strawberries and tarts (!).

Im looking at joining up TSSC and have put a note in the regions section to enquire who and what's out there in North and West Yorks areas as I'm on the border.

Hoping to get some time in on the car later this week, drivers door handle to fix and some spurious wiring I'd like to tidy up ahead of sorting lazy hazard and indicators (suspect flasher units, dodgy connections or earths).

Enjoy the cheese !!!

• Like 1