Garages who can check toe-in, tracking etc

You could take Petes advice and just buy a gunsons trackrite and DIY, which are very accurate.

Or the cheap DIY using 2 bits of (straight) wood or metal about 2 foot long and a tape measure.... this pic explains it, but I use one tape measure and an assistant! (they have used a spirit level, but anything dead straight will do)

48183910d1501790797-homemade-alignment-t

If you also want camber/castor most garages will look blankly at you, but somebody who has the Hunter alignment stuff will do a proper job. There is a list on the hunter site. That will do all 4 wheels. Do not forget for the book specs you need to load the front seats with a medium sized adult on each during setup, or equivalent weight (150lb/75kg) and that includes just toe setup. 

https://www.alignmycar.co.uk

Other "general" advice is to allow the new stuff to settle well before alignment, and remember that if using rubber bushes in the wishbones, to leave teh bolts slack until the car is back on the ground. Not an issue with poly bushes

(sorry if teaching you to suck eggs, but amazing how many don't do that and wonder why the car sits high and/or the bushes rip)

I can recommend Elite Direct Tyres down in Rainham.  Full, independent 4 wheel lazer alignment and had both my Spitfire and 2000 through there, including re-shimming the rear tie bars and the front lower wishbone shim shuffle on the Spit.

They don't do bookings, which means you can be hanging around a while on a Saturday - but the in-house cafe do a very good bacon roll.

23 minutes ago, Waynebaby said:

Kwik Fit can check the toe in , camber and castor and if they don't adjust anything it's free. They'll only be able to adjust the toe in at the front though, since removing/adding shims is beyond them. 

Wayne

Sorry Wayne, i would not trust qwik fit to check tyre pressures let alone anything else :(  If you have had a good experience you must have been very lucky.

Tony.

• Haha 1

I know that there are a lot of posts here about tyre age etc, but am I correct that most of the 'age damage' is done by UV light reaction with the rubber. The reason I ask is that Lady BW's modern does very little mileage and lives with the Spitfire in the garage. Her tyres look fine, no flaking, breaking up etc visible. They are the originals, nearly 20 years old. Only seen daylight (literally) for 22,000 miles.

The rubber oxidises, leaving the  rubber hard and reducing the friction with the road.  UV tends to speed the process up and also cause cracking. But at 22 years even in a garage the tyres will not be great, despite looks. I believe the anti-oxidants used in the rubber need movement (heat?) to keep them active, so lack of use will not be a benefit.

But your car, and until tyre age is part of the MoT you can still legally use them.

had a feeling the guide lines ( allbeit from a manufacturer) is 7 years 

we had a  local vitesse on 20yr old tyres that would spin wheels in top gear at 40mph..  they had no grip at all .

there all sorts of degrading even the steel bands can go rusty , might look round and black , it ends there .

its all you have between you and the tarmac ....its never wise to   cut corners on safety.

In 2012 a 19 year old tyre on a coach burst and 3 people were killed in the ensuing crash. Following a campaign by one of the victims mothers the government came up with this consultation document. Although it's for heavy vehicles, coaches, busses, lorries etc I don't see it will be long until it's also applied to cars. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-consult-on-ban-on-10-year-old-tyres-to-boost-road-safety

Doug

18 hours ago, johny said:

I always think the biggest risk is driving a 50+yr old car😲

I think the biggest risk is other people's ideas of how you might be driving a 50yr old car sometimes.

yes my brakes really are as good as yours and yes I can accelerate faster than a push bike..........

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

I think the biggest risk is other people's ideas of how you might be driving a 50yr old car sometimes.

Like the Discovery driver I encountered a few years back who, on seeing two moderns and my Vitesse, all travelling at 65mph, all equally spaced, decided to let the moderns past then pull out in front of "the old car that must be slow". It's a damned good thing my brakes were better than they might have been!