Engine noise spitfire 1500

rozentas

11 minutes ago, johny said:

wow, we've seen this engines pushrods and valve gear operating so the cam chain is transmitting drive but I suppose anythings possible.....

It was actually broken across the web so it was pushing round the front half,sadly can't capture the picture from FB Marlin Enthusiasts page.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

this is sounding something terminal, and roz doesnt have the experience yet to tackle this head on with a strip down

We can steer and advise but ti get the feeling theres a steep learn appearing here 

Lets try and make  this a good one

Pete

I wish we were all standing round the car, cuppa tea in hand, and debating. No doubt it would be spotted in minutes and probably fixed in hours.

2 minutes ago, rozentas said:

Just to clarify my name is Steve Rozental, thanks all for the feedback, have learned so much, but as you say no nearer to identifying exactly what the noise is.

oops I got mixed up from the video!

With noise its normally difficult to locate the source in an engine because it transmits all round - sometimes a large screw driver placed in contact with different parts and with the handle on your ear can help but you have to be very careful of the moving bits!

Did you try turning the crank by hand with a spanner in both directions to see how it feels?

Steve,   What you need is an large wooden handled screwdriver,   Press the blade on the engine and the handle against your ear, move the thing around you will soon home in on where the noisiest  location, 

do not get near the fan or you end up in A &E

Pete

3 hours ago, johny said:

Ben do you think turning the crank using the front pulley would have shown up that failure?

Hi Johny Maybe? but it was discovered when the sump came off.

Its possible if Steve worked the crank to and fro he may be able to produce the knock

what ever it is I fear the only way to go is to strip the engine it could be done in situ if need be.

15 hours ago, johny said:

Ben do you think turning the crank using the front pulley would have shown up that failure?

I had the crank shear on my old mini, it split diagonally though the main journal at the flywheel end. The bearing held it together and the engine kept running.  The only symptom, initially, was the flywheel banging on the bell housing. Not suggesting that's what's happened here, but If number 3 is the root cause of the problem I don't think turning the pully at the front will tell much, but worth a go.

Doug

I think your best bet is check the crank for end float , I haven’t listened to the video yet , use a block of wood and long screw driver to push the crank towards the gearbox then watch the bottom pulley and try to ease the pulley towards the rad , only a VERY very little movement is allowed, I think about four to eight thou

I could move the engine both ways with difficulty and spark plugs out by pulling on the fan belt and fan blades, could not hear a knock.  Tried moving the crank back and pulling the pulley, could not get any movement.

Used my stethoscope and could hear the clattering about the same wherever I put the end on the engine block.

There is no change when I depress the clutch,