Engine noise spitfire 1500

rozentas

Also would be grateful for some feedback as to whether its easier to take out the transmission and engine together.........I have the bonnet off........... and put them back together rather than just take out the engine and try to marry up the engine and transmission while the transmission is still in the car.

Ive done a couple of engine outs leaving the gearbox in situ is ok like any marry up of the two alignment is the key 

Simple may to check the box is parallel to the engine is use a bit of timber as a gap gauge , to sight the alignment as by eye 

most are hopelessly out of line and you end up with a fight,   get the engine and box | | in verticle and horizontal is the rules.

Pete

Attached are some pics of my progress to date.  Grateful for any advice about cleaning up the frame once I take out the engine.............whats the best prep method for getting rid of the crud............methinks petrol and a rag......... and best paint for making sure the rust does not come back for a few years?

spitfire 1.jpg

spitfire 2.jpg

spitfire 3.jpg

spitfire 4.jpg

17 hours ago, rozentas said:

Is it easier to fit a new clutch with the transmission still in the car while the engine is out,?

Yes, as Pete and Mark have said already, everything will be right in front of you - but while it's out, replace the pivot pin on the release arm, and the gearbox mountings. The first is a job that's a real stitch in time and the second is probably overdue if the mountings are anyway original. If you're going to all that work you might as well cover all the small jobs that may someday go wrong... check the slave cylinder too while it's accessible.

Don't forget the engine earth strap under the block if you're removing the engine!

Don't forget the engine earth strap under the block if you're removing the engine!

I have removed the braided earth cable attached to the bell housing, is that the earth strap you mean Colin or is there another one?

Steve

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

you will find  them  (if any) when any lifting  becomes troublesome   they appear out of the gloom   Ha !

Pete

True, Pete, and Steve - there should be a small one from the front of the block to the steering rack clamps; this is the one that everyone misses until they lift the engine and the entire car lifts too....

Before lifting the engine I thought I should remove the exhaust as it is in the way, though in the Haynes manual it does not specify to do this. The 1500 exhaust set up in the manual is nothing like what I have and to remove it I would have to undo two bolts under the gear box where the exhaust is just hanging there is no mount to the box.  There does not seem to be a manifold, the exhaust just fits directly as you see from the picture. So I'd be grateful for some feedback as to whether I actually have a standard 1500

Spitfire exhaust set up.  Here's a picture of what I haveIMG_20190808_191519.thumb.jpg.81e89e9f9144788382d39a1b0fbe27b6.jpg 

Tanky, waiting for my engine hoist to be delivered then will have a look and let you know.

I removed the bonnet, to make it easier to get the engine out, and saw that behind the cross member and bonnet supports there was a lot of rot so I thought I would cut off the cross member, cross member bracing and bonnet supports.  Have ordered replacements and the problem I now have is the bracing cross members do not fit, they are far to small to wrap over the chassis to be welded on. Has anyone experience of refitting a new front to a Spitfire 1500..................what did you do about the bracing issue?    

Hi, Thanks for the update! I'm brand new to the Spit scene so I'm in no position to help you out with tech stuff. All I can do is wish you luck and I'm sure some of the lovely people on here will continue to help you out. I'll keep my eyes peeled for updates.

Cheers

Charlie

P8070407.jpg.f53103b6c86d02db2cde12ee2e366242.jpg.c9736331107b6ddc7872bc3cf6ba6ba0.jpg

Where this bracing bar meets the chassis is there is a lip on the top and bottom to slightly wrap over the top and bottom of the chassis or has this been cut off .............I cant see from the picture?

My replacement has a lip top and bottom but it prevents the bracing bar butting up to the chassis so I think I need to cut it off

Steve 

• 3 weeks later...

New to the Triumph scene - hoping to pick a Spitfire up later this week. I’ve read this thread with interest. It’s like a ‘whodunnit’! I have no words of wisdom but will watch from the sidelines if that’s ok. It’s amazing to see how much help is available on here for free, or for a bit of grilled bacon! Good luck with the investigations!