Engine noise spitfire 1500

rozentas

Just wanted to give an update.  I have removed the engine and cut, off the rusty cross member, bonnet supports and bracing bars, then I degreased the engine bay.  Unfortunately this process showed that the PO had painted over the yellow chassis with some one coat black paint as a lot of it came off when I washed off the degreaser. So I decided to strip the chassis back to bare metal and repaint it. In the process of stripping off the paint I found that the flange at the bottom of the bulkhead was rotten and also the flange from the floor pan which comes out under the bulkhead flange. Also found the sill cover next to the bulkhead was rotten.  When I took that off I saw that the PO had put on new sills but not repaired the inner sill and strengthener which are corroded. I can see this from looking along the sill tunnel and also from inside the car where the PO has put some fibreglass patches between the floor and inner sill.

I will start a new topic under the body work forum to discuss this further.

With regard to the engine I am going to wait to strip the engine until I have repainted the engine bay and rebuilt the front of the car to get some space back in my garage, which I guess will take me several months. 

Here are some pics to show progress....

IMG_20190905_175957.jpg

IMG_20190905_175917.jpg

IMG_20190905_175944.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Bacon ....Thats got Doug hooked  last time we went to help we got the bacon fixed the vitesse then found he was not a member 

Bacon....can be a  deceiving  lure

Pete

Ha I would be deceiving you right now! As soon as I’m hooked up with a motor I’ll be joining up! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 13/07/2019 at 12:27, rozentas said:

When I start my car I get the noise in the attached file.  Would be grateful if anyone can advise what it might be.

I have disconnected the alternator to make sure its not the water pump..........it is not.

I took of each spark plug in turn......makes no difference to the noise.

Regards,

Steve

Voice_002.m4a

It’s been a while but I have finally found the source of the noise from my engine, pls see the attached file. I guess this is fixable and grateful for any advice

3 minutes ago, Mathew said:

New shell if you were extremely lucky, looks like a trip to the machine shop!

Spot on, I would try swapping shells from another journal, but with that amount of slop, chances of just new shells working is very very small.

Im afraid that has gone too far and the crank will have been damaged. Putting another shell may well get rid of the play but the crank journal will no longer be in tolerance (only shown by measuring with a micrometer) and it'll fail again very rapidly...

No the crank should be saveable by regrinding. It has to be removed and then the machine shop can access the damage and decide what undersize to grind to. Then new bearing shells of the matching oversize have to be used for the engine rebuild...

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

No surprise that it's no. 3 but as the others have said, that looks like a regrind job at the least.

Rob, why is no.3 likely to suffer failure more than the others?  I've heard this before and have indeed seen it in one of my own engines (an FD), but can't remember why.

4 hours ago, rozentas said:

It’s been a while but I have finally found the source of the noise from my engine, pls see the attached file. I guess this is fixable and grateful for any advice.

Looking at the video again I cant believe you had any oil pressure when running - you saw 50psi didnt you? Definitely no problem with the oil pump😁

1 hour ago, johny said:

Looking at the video again I cant believe you had any oil pressure when running - you saw 50psi didnt you?

Good point - well worth a thorough check of the crank oil ways, as a blockage in there would explain both the apparently good oil pressure and the failure of the bearing!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johny said:

Looking at the video again I cant believe you had any oil pressure when running - you saw 50psi didnt you? Definitely no problem with the oil pump😁

Yes 50 psi, oil pump looks in good nick.

13 hours ago, NonMember said:

I really don't know, but every big end failure I've ever had on a Triumph was no. 3 and, as you say, this appears to be "well known"

I think it is to do with no.3 BE being oil fed via the centre main bearing, and sharing the feed through the crank with no.2 BE. But why no.3 should suffer more than no.2 does, I don't know. I do know that my other "special" engine has the centre main dog-leg feed in the block drilled out by a few millimetres to increase flow. Nick Jones will know chapter and verse on this. NICK???