Rear Valence, metal or fiberglass?

Roger89

Having found the original rear Valence on our spit 1500 project beyond repair, was going to order a brand new one to weld on from Mr Rimmers today, bargin  @£125. Thing is my son 15 3/4 who car it's going to be in just over a year, seems to prefer Honeyborn of Stafford moulding fiberglass replacement.

He reckons he's keeping the car till he's 90 years old, so resale value and originality isn't in the calculation. He just wants it to last forever. Am I making a mistake letting him do this?

Hello Roger,

"Youth, is wasted on the Young" as George Bernard Shaw once said !!

As it will be your sons car in about a year, let him run him with the fibreglass - in the years to come he may decide to go metal. The enjoyment is using the car and that's the important point. 

Regards.

Richard.

I would say that he may be keen on a GRP valence now, and think that being GRP it will last forever, but I think he may well regret it in years to come.  It'd not that easy getting GRP panels to fit so that they look good; my Honeybourne GRP bonnet was a real pig to fit and still does not sit correctly on the car.  I know that a simple rear valence is less hassle to get right than a bonnet, but you have still got to get the vertical joins and covering channel pieces to look ok.

Plus, in years to come as he gets older, he may regret his decision and want for a more original look and feel to the car.  Do him a favour and insist it needs to be a steel one.  Just my opinion of course.

• Like 1

Many years ago whilst sat at traffic lights in my 1500 Spitfire, I was hit from behind at speed by an Austin Maxi. I saw it coming in my rear view mirror, but to late. Pushed the whole car over the white stop line. My passenger cut his head on the soft top frame.  The rear light panel, valence, boot floor,  were all damaged. Suprised how little considering the inpact. These panels all tie together to make a stiff structure. I would stick with a steel panel purely for the structural integrity.

Mark

• Like 1

Same experience as Mark, but last year on the way home from the Silverstone Classic. And an Alfa, not a Maxi....

In my case the aged valance was bent, but knocked out OK, it was the light panel that took the brunt of it. Not to mention the (mint) bootlid😣

But I would stick to metal. Fibreglass panels are rarely a good fit. Besides, the valance should last indefinitely if correctly painted and water kept out. 

My fiberglass temporary bonnet has served its purpose for 25 years in covering the engine, but it doesn't fit properly and I have never been satisfied with it. Regulars know that I am (very) slowly recomissioning the original metal one. However badly I do it, I'm sure it will look better, fit better and sound better than the f/g one.

Hmmm?. Similar decision to be made ref; the front valence on my 13/60?. The one which came with the car is F/G. and in good condition. However a steel replacement (new) is £224-0 and a Dead rough one on E-Bay is asking £59 and needs collecting from 200 mile away!. (Hindhead Surrey), IF it is still available come December, when we visit the relly`s I may go and have a look and see if I can haggle a more "realistic" price?. In the meantime it is on my "watch list".

I am likely to fit the F-G, unless I can source a Usable steel one. but unlikely to pay £200 plus. The rear (steel) will re-furbish as will the Sills.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, he read all your comments and went for the metal one. Found another supplier 'James Paddock' seems to have better feedback than Rimmer brothers so parts should arrive early this week.

Decided to replace all the electronics HT leads etc before we have our 1st outing hopefully this week.

Will post pic of finished  valence here when we find a good welder to do the job for us. Anyone have a recommendation for a welder in the Midlands be great?

Hey Pete, that's given me s good idea. We started stripping out the filler and rust from the valence, my boy was going to sweep it away and bin it.  I said we should bag it up and sell it on eBay as genuine authentic ready made triumph 1979 patina.

By the time we've stripped out the bodge from this car, we be millionaires!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina&ved=2ahUKEwiWv9_j6dDlAhWeXRUIHTwaB1kQFjALegQIDRAK&usg=AOvVaw3w28D8qAiE9Bm6NNV34bdy

IMG_20191104_142023202.jpg

IMG_20191104_142026911.jpg

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, s99sdp said:

Whats the BIN price, I'd collect, pay cash and I'll give you my gf and her two kids if that will help seal the deal.

Please get back to me asap as I'd like to complete the deal today.

😎

SP

I'd sell my spleen...no, wait, that was for Claudia Winkelman's hair... 

Do you mean the Bin-It-Now price?