The Most Expensive Triumph?

Nigel Clark

Nigel whilst not in the same league as the Amphicar the attached Mk2 Spit is currently for sale here in Aus on Gumtree its the most expensive standard Spit I've seen.

There's a very tidy MkIV in the same city for $10.5k, reupholstered, and new carpet a little fettling reqd, being Aus you can assume no rust.

My daughter has a 65 Mk2 which in the past has come second in local concours, she brought it for $9k in 2001, and I'd say its worth around $14k. Unfortunately it doesn't have matching numbers, in fact it's a real bastard, only the engine appears original by it's first Vic registration in 1965. The Comm No is also 65/66, but isn't the same as the first Reg Comm,?

I've laughed in the past at Spits for sale at $25 to 30k but this current one really takes the cake, as a fellow club member always states it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay!

Peter T

Expensive Mk2 Spit in  Aus.jpg

$40k Aus = £20k UK which is £1k UK more than the insurance valuation for a concours mk2 Spitfire in UK.  So, over here the seller would be considered as pushing his luck, but not uncommon.

The Amphicar! It's not finished and the photos aren't even the one on sale. The blurb says it all, "It's not a very good car and it's not a very good boat" :lol:  For £80k I could get a VERY good car AND a VERY good boat.

Doug

10 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

Check this out for classic vehicle inflation:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174207892019

Nigel

"The photos are just a representation of the car at present"... heard that before, especially on eBay. 

(I'm sure it's going to look great when finished.. but I love the bit where the guy says:  "a vehicle that promises to revolutionise drowning...")

I can just imagine taking that in for MOT, too... :)

In the late 60`s, Docked in Hamburg, we used to see these being used by the "Volkspolici" on the Elbe. Strange looking things, and when the tide was in "flood" they went backwards even at Full Throttle!.

Pete

21 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Nigel whilst not in the same league as the Amphicar the attached Mk2 Spit is currently for sale here in Aus on Gumtree its the most expensive standard Spit I've seen.

I always love it when the vendor puts things in like: "These Mk2 models are becoming the most desirable and collectable with front split grille and lower bumper." No doubt Mk1 and Mk3 owners might disagree, never mind owners of the later models. I used to always get that with the GT6, the MK2 was 'the one that everyone wants'... and I didn't...

But with any of these ads, the clincher is whether or not it actually sells... as you say, Peter, it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

9 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I always love it when the vendor puts things in like: "These Mk2 models are becoming the most desirable and collectable with front split grille and lower bumper."

My younger brother always thought the low bumper was by far the best look for a Spitfire and none of the others compared. I agree the Mk2 is lovely but I've always rather liked the lines of the Mk3. It's a different look but at least equally good. Owners of MkIVs are entitled to disagree 😁

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

My younger brother always thought the low bumper was by far the best look for a Spitfire and none of the others compared. I agree the Mk2 is lovely but I've always rather liked the lines of the Mk3. It's a different look but at least equally good. Owners of MkIVs are entitled to disagree 😁

It's all down to personal preference! I love the early car for their basic simplicity, the MK3 seems to stand out on its' own and is reputed to be the best driver, and the late cars are more sophisticated and modern in comparison. As the owner of a 'dreadful' Mk1 GT6 with a 'dire' driving experience and 'cramped and uncomfortable cabin' I often wonder why I've kept it for so long. :)

I'm on my second "dreadful" Mk1 Vitesse and have enjoyed driving both quite enthusiastically. The only times either of them (OK, the first one!) caught me out were in very wet weather, or when a rear tyre was flat. Oh, and the very first time I tried to turn off a dual carriageway onto a right-angle narrow lane with no slip road and wasn't acclimatised to non-servo brakes. I'd owned it, my first car, for all of a week at the time.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

I'm not sure that this listing doesn't breech the data protection act by openly naming the previous owners and aspects of their personal history?

I suspect that, providing the information is already in the public domain. Ie. A death in a fire would be public, as would the name of whoever registered said death. Data breech should? not be an issue.

12 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/An-Astonishing-Ex-TSSC-Museum-Display-Triumph-Spitfire-1500-with-11-403-Miles/283840017470?hash=item42162ef43e:g:tFwAAOSwHgdejFhH

An ex-Triumph of 'ours' which has been owned by 'three respected Triumph enthusiasts'.

What's the member's price on it? :)

I reckon that is a pretty decent price. 

However, owning such a car is a double edged sword. If you use it (and sadly nobody has in many years) it will get blemishes and the mileage goes up. In fact, if somebody wanted a really good spitfire to use regularly, this could be ideal. Need some recommissioning,  (tyres, brake overhaul etc plus some decent wax protection) but would be great to use. And cheaper than trying to restore something to anywhere near the condition.

More likely it will be owned by somebody who sticks it in storage and treats it as an object/investment. A lot of cars are suffering this fate, good cars that never get used or even heard of again.

It's when the dealer goes on about the history of the model and not the history/condition of the car being sold. What are they not saying.

The style of a car represent the era it was designed in. Some of the post war 1930's airflow designs to me look superb. But that just my likes which may well be different from others.

If you what to get into a debate re the looks of a car as the owner of a TR7, well it's best I leave it there.

Mk1/2/3 GT6. Mk1/2/3/4/1500 Spit. They all look great to me, if I had the room I would own one of each.

Dave