Vitesse grille

Bobtaylor

3 hours ago, Bobtaylor said:

Hi, I have a MK1 Vitesse which has had a replacement bonnet from a MK2. Is the actual bonnet the same (apart from the grille) ? Is it a simple job to fit the correct grille, assuming I can find one?

It's funny as I'm thinking of going the opposite way as I suspect the MK1 grill might restrict airflow quite a bit more than the mk2. Sorry not going to get rid of the original grill just yet though☹️

Yep if I was going to replace the Mk2’s I’d agree but I think the Mk2 is good and original my centre bar had been damaged bUt I was able to source a good replacement from UK brought the full grill but seller split it to save cartage.

like you I had to replace the bottom Thin channel section as Mine had rusted The only part on whole bonnet off an Aussie CKD12/50 but fortunately I found a near fit light weight channel section which I riveted in

Peter T

15 hours ago, johny said:

It's funny as I'm thinking of going the opposite way as I suspect the MK1 grill might restrict airflow quite a bit more than the mk2

Ahh, that's a shame, it'l spoil the purer looks of Mk1 (imo).

Peter. Spitfire Graveyard may have one, off a total rotter, where only the alloy survives. Always found them good on prices, myself and very friendly.

Dave

I have a mk1 grille on my mk2 Vitesse, I think it looks great and as my car is far from original for me that's not an issue. 

I'm with Adrian a stainless steel woven wire mesh grille would look good. 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

I have a mk1 grille on my mk2 Vitesse, I think it looks great and as my car is far from original for me that's not an issue. 

I'm with Adrian a stainless steel woven wire mesh grille would look good. 

Iain 

I too think the MK 1 original mesh grill looks better than the the Mk 2 type and retro fitted a brand new old stock Mk1 item to my Mk 2. It's an easy nut and bolt job and is reversable if desired. I don't think there's any real diffence in airflow between the two types. My car certainly doesn't run any hotter.

Gav

Mmm I think the mesh at a rakish 45 degree angle not verticle/horizontal would be better? A pain to make as the short strands of wire un-weave themselves and the whole grille needs to be retained in a carrier. Friend of mine used to make wire grilles for Jaguar, Ford etc and apart from forming retaining the wires was the biggest headache. 

Iain 

18 hours ago, ahebron said:

I reckon a Bentley type mesh grill would look good on the front of a Vitesse. 

Adrian

Me too..... in fact if someone wants to offer me that eBay price they can have my Mk1 grill and I’ll make a mesh one 🙂

It doesnt have to be stainless steel woven mash.
Expanded Aluminium would do jjust as well and would be in keeping with the original aluminium grill.

When I bought my Vitesse 6 back in the 80's it had a cut up Holden grill of some sort that came to a point under the centre of the bonnet. Sorry no photos of it back then, I was driving it not taking pictures. But I still kick myself for not buying a new grill for NZ$100.

Adrian