Newbie with a question

Hello I am new although I was a member many years ago when I owned a Triumph Spitfire. So I have just bought a 1969 Herald 13/60 Convertible which is in ok condition, usable reasonable bodywork engine runs really well. I’ve had it looked over by my mechanic who tells me that she is quite good underneath with some plating on parts of the chassis, a small hole in the spare wheel well. The interior is ok, presentable, the hood seems ok a couple of little holes but nothing too major. So my Question is what should I do? live with it as it is drive it enjoy it and use It and maybe use it as a rolling restoration. Or strip it down and give it a major overhaul ? I have no garage and limited mechanical expertise. I am on the look out for a garage but that possibly won’t happen until early next year. I do have storage facility for winter months. I am sure that this question has been asked many times before. 

agree  get to know your car for a season find its points of concern , get confidence in when you go out you will come home in it, 

shame about the bonnet  looks like accident filled with something horrible thats work in progress  

just make up a list and decide what has priority,   a cockpit cover on the hood will save the interior getting swamped , ventilation is king 

Pete

As the others all said, drive it, use it, get to know it. Fix anything mechanical that needs it. The bodywork is mostly OK from the looks of it, so I'd just patch up the bad bits as and when you have an opportunity. Enjoy the car and get the benefits!

12 hours ago, Davidsavid said:

So my Question is what should I do? live with it as it is drive it enjoy it and use It and maybe use it as a rolling restoration. Or strip it down and give it a major overhaul ? I have no garage and limited mechanical expertise. 

Morning David, welcome to the forum - one thing from the start - DO NOT STRIP IT DOWN!! Do not. No! Trust me, I'm talking from personal experience, having three Heralds, none of which have been on the road in years and the last rebuild started with the famous words: "I'll just start a quick chassis swap and it'll be back on the road in six months." That was 2008.

Keep it as a drivable car, get it out on the road, and you can then drive it to garages, or friends', or club meetings, and have work done on it - far easier than a collection of bits which takes up a lot of room and never quite seems to go back together again. Believe me, it's much easier to be able to drive the car to a bodyshop, or a welder, or local mechanic, than to have him come to you or to get it transported. 

I've seen much worse than that, and it's a car you can get out in and enjoy, not worry about paint damage or marks if you take it out. Here's hoping for some good top-down weather.

OK! so it would look better if you did work on the body. BUT you won't see that from the drivers seat, leave it for the time being. Make sure it starts, runs and stops then as everyone says drive it.

This must be the first thread where all replies agree on what to do ! 😀

20 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

tool wish list , when auto jumble  boot sales re start look out for wanner grease guns     get two   one for oil   one for grease  old cheap excellent .

pete

EBay is a good source , leave cheeky bids for Wanner guns and you will get them hopefully for less than £15 each 

Paul 

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

tool wish list , when auto jumble  boot sales re start look out for wanner grease guns     get two   one for oil   one for grease  old cheap excellent .

pete

Agree with Pete. Under £10 is best. I have 2 of them. There are loads of mentions on various threads here (try the search function). Wanner is a VERY popular and reliable gun (assuming that it has its insides!!). One of those old school tools that go on forever. All mine needed were a couple of new washers, available off fleabay. One loaded with grease, the other ep90 oil. People get rid cheap as they don't know how to use them or their true value. They can be very messy but great fun.