Bleedin Brakes

Neil Clark

I had bled them on my own using an easy bleed and hadn't moved the car for a few weeks.  I started on the furthest away brake, o/s rear and worked my way back via n/s rear, o/s front and n/s front (which looked closest to the master cylinder).  Today the master cylinder is completely empty and I can't see any drainage marks on the drive nor damage to paint etc.  I had tried to check every union when I did it and looked for seepage, they  certainly seemed firm and dry enough.  

Does brake fluid evaporate easily?

Is there a way for me, on my own, to bleed and check for seepages simultaneously?  

Can anyone advise how much brake fluid should go into a Spitfire Mk1 system?  Can't be that much can it?

Thanks 

Silly question but you did refill the master cylinder as you went along? Bleeding can use a lot of fluid and it needs constantly topped up as you go.

Sometimes a large airbubble in the system can rise to the cylinder even after they've been bled, if the air was not all removed - for that reason I never liked the Eezibleed and always just used pedal pressure. Refill the master cylinder and monitor for a while; it may not drop any further but if it's completely empty you'll have to rebleed the system anyway.

The fluid doesn't evaporate. If you press the pedal hard whilst stationary see if it sinks to the floor; if it does you'll have a considerable leak that should be easily spotted. Leaks from wheel cylinders will unfortunately be behind the drums and in around the shoes so not so easily spotted.

any problems before you decided to bleed them ??

its easy to use over half a litre 

as Colin says wheel cyls are not easy to spot , unless you get a drip on the backplate ,   the other hiding area is at the pushrod , and its running down the pedal onto the floor  easy to spot if you lift the push rod boot .

pete

be sure to top up after each nipple bleed  ,keep the catch jar high above the nipple 

if you can get help  , bleed with a fast push down , nip up , back slow, reopen,   down fast ,   nip up  ,   back slow    top up the reservoir  frequently 

doesnt really matter what order or where yu start , the basic process will work where ever.

Pete

I've had a 0% success rate with Eezibleed, all it seemed to do was presurise things and then p155 fluid everywhere.

On the other hand I really rate the 1-way valve solo-bleed things like these:

71FbfE1i3lL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Although I find I get 2 or 3 sessions (over a period of months/years) out of them before they clog up, but at about 4 quid each I'm not that fussed.

Cheers,

Sam

I use the same, Sam, very effective but as you say they dont last. I tried using one of the vacuum kits off ebay and found it a complete waste of time and money, pulling air in round the bleed nipple threads. Yet another good tip about the jar, Pete, when are you going to write your book with all these in?

I've probably spent more on brake bleeding tools than anything else for my cars...and I still find myself coming back to the Visibleed!

Never had one clog, but the plastic retaining strip will split on the very first bleed nipple and after a couple of years the tubing starts to split - but costs almost nothing (one on eBay for £3.47/free deliver) and unlike Eezibleed it works on every system (could never find a correclty sized cap for either me brake of clutch m/c) and never randomly blows off the m/c in a shower of brake fluid, or as derekskill found just sucked air around the nipple like the DIY vacuum ones.

Attach to nipple, open nipple, pump pedal 4 times, check bleeder pipe for air bubbles and either nip up nipple or top up m/c and repeat.

I have given up entirely and just use a bit of clear tube. Possibly washer tube? push onto bleed nipple, and you can just let gravity do the work if you are patient. But a glamorous assistant is helpful, and easy to train. (both daughters knew the system from about 9 years old)

Still occasionally stumble across an awkward one, but never a Triumph.

You don’t need a glamorous assistant. Ring spanner and plain plastic tube on the nipple, other end of tube into jam jar. Open nipple, frantic pumping of brake pedal, run round car, close nipple. 

As long as the end of the tube is below the level of fluid in the jam jar, there will be fluid between nipple and pipe. Gravity slows the fluid trying to climb back up the pipe, you have perhaps 5 seconds to get to nipple and close it. Simples!

Doug

On 07/07/2020 at 09:36, yorkshire_spam said:

I've had a 0% success rate with Eezibleed, all it seemed to do was presurise things and then p155 fluid everywhere.

On the other hand I really rate the 1-way valve solo-bleed things like these:

71FbfE1i3lL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Although I find I get 2 or 3 sessions (over a period of months/years) out of them before they clog up, but at about 4 quid each I'm not that fussed.

Cheers,

Sam

I’ve had reasonable success (eventually) with the ezibleed but because the gt6 needs the ‘strap on’ adaptor on both occasions I’ve had fluid leaking everywhere because of not getting it sealed well enough. I might look into the solo bleed.  Now before it starts I am aware of the wording of this post regarding strap on and fluid everywhere!

I read the box instead of guessing.  Mines a solo bleed, not an easybleed.  

Changing the subject, if the rear wheel brake cylinders are leaking I've a dilemma.  Were the drums interchangeable between the early and later cars?  There are two cylinder sizes listed in the Moss catalogue and my rear axle is the later swing axle.

There are 4 cylinders 5/8”, 11/16”, 3/4” and 7/8”. The 7/8” were on the very late mk3s and no longer available from Rimmers or Canleys. I know this ‘cos I just bought some, just in case, from Paddocks. Rimmers have the 3 earlier models.

Also late drums are 1.5” wide as opposed to earlier which were 1.25”

I suspect the beefed up late rear brakes were too good, which is why the servo, standard on the late model, is only on the front brakes. Earlier models, the optional servo worked on front and back.

Doug