Gunson Click Adjust, don't bother

T3 California

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

How on the gods' Earth do the Americans make a thousanth, a "mil"?

In the same way that the French, Italians, Spanish etc do; probably from the Latin 'Milia' meaning Thousand. Although the exact route is one for your legendary Googling skills John.

Adrian

On 24/07/2020 at 13:32, Pete Lewis said:

so is covid 19   metric or imperial then being 19 im at odds with it 

so  we cant get even 

pete

Don't worry, they may name the next wave Covid 20, so it'll be more divisible.

I'm sure the guys who created it have plenty more, so there'll be a suitable number along soon.

Another example of an internet falsehood, or one promoted by Trump?

Sure, Covid19 first appeared in humans in China.     There is no evidence that it was synthesised, any more than Ebola or Zika, which like Covid are the result of human interaction with wild animals.   No one has suggested that they were synthetic, or called them, "The Liberian Disease" or "The Brazilian Threat", because there is no political leverage in doing so.     

19 hours ago, JohnD said:

Another example of an internet falsehood, or one promoted by Trump?

Sure, Covid19 first appeared in humans in China.     There is no evidence that it was synthesised, any more than Ebola or Zika, which like Covid are the result of human interaction with wild animals.   No one has suggested that they were synthetic, or called them, "The Liberian Disease" or "The Brazilian Threat", because there is no political leverage in doing so.     

I had a reply written then thought "why bother" deleted it and went off for another coffee. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JohnD said:

"The Liberian Disease" or "The Brazilian Threat",

Or Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, which was first identified in US military personnel in Texas; explain that away Mr President!  By way of an aside killed more US military than were killed in action in WW1,  " a beautiful war we won" he said. 

Hi,

Tried junior hacksaw. would not cut.
Dremmel works. One end off and still too tight. Other end off & now I can hold the screw end really tight and it clicks.
Sorted.
Endcap came off easy with a Stanley blade.
Cheers,
Iain
Measurement after spring cut. Length before? No idea.

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

Just now, JohnD said:

Interesting!  Why should that spring be so stiff?

Have you tried in use, Iain?

Hi John,

I don't have my car. Covid-19 & all that.
It was a very strong spring. A quality spring best used elsewhere. 
When I used it a while ago, it did compress the valve springs so I could not rely on that function & just closed the gap and then counted the clicks. Should be OK now.

I tried to measure the torque required now but my torque wrench does not go that low.

Cheers,

Iain.

Iain,

If you are stil interested (!) now that you have a solution, measuring the "torque-for-click" should be possible without a torque wrench.

Here's how I check my torque wrench:

860525004_Torquewrenchcalibration(2).JPG.f4046ed3e91f51cae7a9e2311aa5404b.JPG w

which may explain what I mean with less words.     In this case, hold the Click-Adjust in the vice, and the screwdriver bit in a mole wrench.    Load the end of the mole with weights, until you get a click.   Then do the sums: weight (including that of mole,as this is a small value) divided by the distance of the weights from the bit = torque, in lbs-ft or Kilogram-meters (Newtons).

Alternatively, a beam torque wrench can be very cheap and given a wide scale will read down to less than 10lbs-ft.  This Draper one is less than £20!    Not as sexy as one that goes "CLICK!", but beams never need calibration!

Hi John,

Nice idea. Had thought of mole-grips & a luggage scale.

I am not going to bother now as the correct torque is what whatever it is I guess.
When I get the car back I will try it and cut more off if I have to. Maybe I will keep a lookout for a weaker spring.
Will give me a chance to try my homemade rocker cover gasket out.

Cheers,

Iain. 

• 3 months later...

Hi

On my BSA 500 twin, Vintage 1957, I swapped the (Flat/slotted) Screwdriver Adjusters for Allen Screw`s. I used a T-bar when adjusting. And chrome steel wire (courtesy of the aviation industry) instead of a Feeler gauge.

Pete.