Tappet noise?

daverclasper

Iain, haven't taken the plunge yet. I have 45psi at tickover when hot, water temp 100C, and at 3000rpm 80psi! Looks pretty good to me. Debating whether a restrictor is needed given those oil pressures?

However are the valves you show rated for over 100C? Most of this type I have viewed have a max of 95C.

Iain 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in posting had a bit of a health scare, after two scans and blood tests it turns out I'm intolerant to tomatoes! The symptoms, constant chest pain similar to indigestion, elevated BP and bit of a chest wheeze could have indicated something more ominous...at 65 my body now doesn't like eating toms everyday. There was I trying to get my 5 or is it 10 a day healthy food intake and it all went pear shaped!

Anyway I took the plunge and bought the needle valve and adaptors and fitted them today. The valve handle has 7 full turns I ended up with only 1/4 turn from shut off to reduce the flow to a constant drip. Early days as it is a bit nippy today and the water was only at 70C but it has reduced the flow and more importantly I can adjust it. This 'fix' does work and will obviously make more oil available to other whirly bits at the front of the engine.

The joints are fine but to make sure everything stays where it should is Wellseal ok to put on the threads?

Iain

IMG_20201207_143900_resized_20201207_025406387.jpg

IMG_20201130_102740_resized_20201207_025405707.jpg

Iain, almost all symptoms disappeared as soon as I stopped eating the bloody things! A friend of mine who is paranoid about healthy food said they are the devil's food, I never believed him until now. I started eating them every day about a year ago and never thought my symptoms which started in February were related!

Not sure if my radiologist needs new glasses or was maximising the financial return on his scanner as his initial scan evaluation said possible opacity over left lung, after a further CT scan with contrast he found nothing but a hole in my wallet! 

Anyway I now have a nice dribble out of the rockers😁

Iain 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Iain, almost all symptoms disappeared as soon as I stopped eating the bloody things! A friend of mine who is paranoid about healthy food said they are the devil's food, I never believed him until now. I started eating them every day about a year ago and never thought my symptoms which started in February were related!

Not sure if my radiologist needs new glasses or was maximising the financial return on his scanner as his initial scan evaluation said possible opacity over left lung, after a further CT scan with contrast he found nothing but a hole in my wallet! 

Anyway I now have a nice dribble out of the rockers😁

Iain 

I am glad you said Devil Fruit.
Best left alone. It's indigestible skin & seeds. 

"The tomato plant has been demonstrated to have vitamin D-like activity. The activity was present in the leaves but not in the fruit of the plant."
Vit D3 people can avoid as well.
Or eat the leaf's?

• Like 1

A garage told me safe way to track noises was with a length of plastic tube stuck in your ear!  It allows you to listen very precisely to where the tube end is. It was ref exhaust leaks but I guess it might be the same to isolate a single tappet???

My Mk1 exhaust manifold cracked by pot 6.  Very fluffy when cold but OK when warm.  A friend said he'd weld it!  I thought cast iron was too "buttery" but he successfully did it and it was no further trouble.  Guessing as he welded it when cold (apart from the arced bit) it was in the least stressed position.????

A mechanical noise is best conducted thtough a solid object, rather than air.     And it is easier, and safer, to locate the end of a probe that is solid, rather than a flexible tube.   Any solid rod will do - you are unlikely to have a screwdriver long enough, but any rod will do.   A wooden broomstick is more comfortable to the ear than metal.

But the best is a mechanics stethoscope.     They are very cheap, less than £10 will get you one that Dr.Kildare would envy!   And think of the kudos when you whip that out at a club meeting!

John

20 hours ago, Iain T said:

Ian, sorry, missed this before.    Is this to limit the oil flow through an external oil supply to the head?    This might be the control that will work for the curse that is sometimes known as Ye Spawne of Beelzebubbe!      You pic shows the manuafacturer etc evry clearly, but where did you get it?

JOhn

John, yes the valve controls the external oil flow to the rockers. It certainly works and I doubt I'll get up to 10,000 psi! It looks very well made with shake proof handle and the threads have excellent form. 

I bought it from MGA Controls and the s/steel fittings from Flowfit. I bought the male/female 1/4 npt valve version (they don't have a 1/8npt variant) then 1/8 npt adaptors.

The hole in the valve is approx 3mm so I started with it half closed (or is it half open?). This didn't seem to make any difference to the flow so I gradually closed the valve until it was only 1/4 turn open. I need to do more tests with the engine oil at normal temperature but it does what it says on the box. I still need to possibly tweak the installation at the moment I have the oil pressure gauge coming off first (closest to the block) then the valve and the warning light at the end. 

As I said is Wellseal OK for the joints? I do have some Loctite threadlock which may be better? 

Colin, my father unfortunately spent some time in a urology ward, the smell still lingers in my nostrils! I went to see him in hospital and was surprised to see a window pane boarded up. I asked him what happened and he said the guy next to him was in extreme pain and pressing his buzzer and calling for a nurse for over an hour. He got so angry he threw something at the window and smashed it. Dad said the guy got told off......but it got their attention! This was Southend on Sea hospital 10 years ago, I don't know what their TripAdvisor rating is! 

Iain 

Iain,

The method of setting a restrictor in the External line is that you note the hot oil pressure without the line and then fit smaller and smaller restrictors until it is restored.    I'm told that a less than 1mm diameter hole is necessary, coupled with observing the 'drip-drip' that you are aiming for.

Which does raise the question, why do you need an external line at all?

John

35 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Which does raise the question, why do you need an external line at all?

Because there was no drip drip at all. Seemingly dry as a bone. 

The fact that such a small 1/4 turn works does reinforce what people say that the hole must be very small! 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

Because there was no drip drip at all. Seemingly dry as a bone. 

Hi, Iain. Yes, I remember the original problem. Glad your getting there. It appears the reason why was never resolved?.

As I sort of remember, did you get an off the shelf rocker assembly and this wasn't ok?., so went for a Moss one that had to have the rockers reamed before fitting?.

If so, what was the difference between them? please.

Genuinely interested as I started the thread and glad it's thrown up a lot of info.

Cheers, Dave 

Dave, my original squeaky rattly rockers were knackered so I changed for what I thought was a bushed rocker assy. Found it wasn't bushed but on investigation discovered a distinct lack of oil to the rockers. All sorts of issues sorted and ended up with a new oil pump and a bushed rocker set from Moss which I had to have reamed to suit the new shaft with a 0.5-1 thou clearance (1-2 thou on diameter). This is by far the best solution but didn't solve the oil problem so I fitted an external oil feeder. This valve is my solution to adjust and control the amount of oil to the rockers and not starve the mains. The valve and fittings were about £40 but ended up nearer £60 with p&p. It is perhaps over engineered but totally adjustable! 

The rockers, shaft, springs, reaming and assembly came to around £350. Fitting an oil pressure gauge is in my opinion a must! 

Hope this helps, if you need any part numbers etc let me know. 

Iain 

Iain,

My campaign against Ye Spawnne of Ye Deville was aagainst those who unthinkingly fitted one, hoping it would "make the car go better".    I would certainly not include you in that group!   And you are obvioulsy aware of the rtisk if 'robbing' the mains of oil flow if it all goes up into the head.      So I hope all goes well!   I like the solution, as diddling about with different sized restrictors seemed to me to be a form of self abuse.

Quite WHY you got no flow in the first place you haven't an answer for, which I would find frustration, but each to their own.   Good luck!

John

Iain another advantage of the adjustable NV flow is you can open it up every so often to flush it thro then rest it back to original, without damaging anything. The small annulus the NV creates/works on can easily get blocked with a bit of crud esp in my previous environment of water supply we used Y strainers to protect but still used to need a cleanout when the valve operation got too slow. 

The blockages were the reason we always went for the smallest NV practicable so the orifice aperture opening was the largest so as to minimize the probability of a blockage.

9 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Iain another advantage of the adjustable NV flow is you can open it up every so often to flush it thro then rest it back to original, without damaging anything. The small annulus the NV creates/works on can easily get blocked with a bit of crud esp in my previous environment of water supply we used Y strainers to protect but still used to need a cleanout when the valve operation got too slow. 

The blockages were the reason we always went for the smallest NV practicable so the orifice aperture opening was the largest so as to minimize the probability of a blockage.

Sorry, Pete, "NV" flow?    What that, I'm catching up.

John

Interested in the solid rod for "listening" as opposed to the tube. 

My thoughts are that with a tube the noise you hear is transmitted through the air and will be loudest at the source?  As air is much less dense than metal, and elastic, the sound will drop off more quickly as you move away from the source.  Making it easier to locate.  

The speed of sound in steel is almost 20 times as fast as in air.  

With a lump of metal, such as a dynamo for instance, the sound transmission will be more uniform and so harder to locate?  With clacky tappets i think you could listen safely with a tube, to the pushrod end, the valve end or with a thin enough tube, perhaps even the cam follower itself?

Just musing here.  Be pleased to hear other opinions.