Tappet noise?

daverclasper

yes  it this does happen the screw has a external star shake proof washer under its head

its not exactly  sealed to the pedestal

screw 104859 with washer   500995

most that fall out you do find lying around on the top of the head  

its a philips cross head  ( rather than pozi drive) countersunk setscrew 

no12 unf   @ 3 -4 lbft 

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, the Moss bushed rockers and shaft have been machined to fit 1-2 thou oversize to the shaft (0.5 to 1 thou each side) and fitted to my old pedestals etc. The machine shop said the bronze bushes were very hard. 

With the external oil feeder I now have oil to all rockers and excellent oil pressure. The oil dribbles out but not in torrents as with the TRGB recon unit. I haven't run it for long as when the autosensor lights go out in my garage (aka multistorey car park) I noticed one of the plug leads was arcing onto the dizzy cap clip. I have a new set of cranked head leads coming tomorrow and some Bosch WR78 plugs. When fitted I'll take it for a spin to check the oil pressure hot. 

Tried to upload video but failed will try on laptop not phone! 

Iain 

49 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Finally, the Moss bushed rockers and shaft have been machined to fit 1-2 thou oversize to the shaft (0.5 to 1 thou each side) and fitted to my old pedestals etc. The machine shop said the bronze bushes were very hard. 

With the external oil feeder I now have oil to all rockers and excellent oil pressure. The oil dribbles out but not in torrents as with the TRGB recon unit. I haven't run it for long as when the autosensor lights go out in my garage (aka multistorey car park) I noticed one of the plug leads was arcing onto the dizzy cap clip. I have a new set of cranked head leads coming tomorrow and some Bosch WR78 plugs. When fitted I'll take it for a spin to check the oil pressure hot. 

Tried to upload video but failed will try on laptop not phone! 

Iain 

What oil pressure are you getting now ?

Paul 

19 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's a LOT of oil! As long as it's not starving anywhere else, those should be well oiled for years to come.

I'm going for well oiled, it's Friday, the sun is over the yardarm and I have just poured a large Goslings Black Seal rum 🥃

My worry is although I have good pressure at the gauge take off does that mean I still have good flow/pressure to the front mains etc? 

• Haha 1

yes i think you need to shut down the feed with a good bit more restriction so its drips not running oil 

and pressure is only developed by a  flow volume and restriction   its not the be all end of the equation 

being hydraulic i say the pressure in the gallery chest has to be the same  until it escapes the bearing

when with no restriction pressure is then lost   

Pete

On 13/11/2020 at 21:03, Nick Jones said:

Go back to Triumphs original metered feed design even.....

The reason why I started this was because there wasn't any oil coming out of the rockers, not even a drip. However I will probably try it again without the feeder with the new pump etc if I don't get at least a few drips out of the front rocker I'll be refitting! 

Iain 

On 13/11/2020 at 20:15, SpitFire6 said:

If you have the opportunity. I would like to see the oil flow at start-up in the morning? Was it spitting oil everywhere with the rocker box off?

Iain, on start up it doesn't spirt everywhere. I'll be fiddling tomorrow and take a video. Seems a lot of oil but then oil is also good for cooling springs etc! 

Iain 

OK more research today to control the oil flow via the external feeder. I'm going for the needle valve option from MGA Control, thanks Peter Truman for the idea! Another plus is the valve is made in the UK, buy British!

I've found this small valve for £25 which is way over spec but will do the job nicely. The cheap water valves are not rated for oil or over 100C so not an option. I'll fit using adaptors as the valve is 1/4 npt. This should give me all the control and restriction to get the flow just right (whatever that is!).UN SERIES - DATASHEET.pdf

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

OK more research today to control the oil flow via the external feeder. I'm going for the needle valve option from MGA Control, thanks Peter Truman for the idea! Another plus is the valve is made in the UK, buy British!

I've found this small valve for £25 which is way over spec but will do the job nicely. The cheap water valves are not rated for oil or over 100C so not an option. I'll fit using adaptors as the valve is 1/4 npt. This should give me all the control and restriction to get the flow just right (whatever that is!).UN SERIES - DATASHEET.pdf

Hi,

The valve is meant for isolation. Tight ShutOff. TSO. The Trim AKA "Curve" might not be good to control flow, especially low differential pressure.
It's quality and may well work on your application. I have spent more on things for the car that worked as intended but not as I wanted. R&D. 
I had thought of using a Mazda thermo-pellet 

Iain I was wrong with the needle valve make not Wade but Whitey, they came with 1/4in compression fittings. all brass and S/S construction except a small white nylon seal around spindle. I'm going to use one as an isolation valve in the bottom outlet of the daughters Mk2 Spit petrol tank so I can easily stop the gravity petrol flow enabling the replacement of the in line rubber hoses in perpetuity. 

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

A needle valve is used to vary flow a ball valve is normally for on/off applications? The company's tech support advised a needle valve. 

Iain 

Hi Iain,

The PDF was for a TSO valve. Very good for fitting inline to a fuel line to stop all flow, not to control. Better characteristic's out there.

Cheers,

Iain.

Iain, this is a definition I found, seems to indicate a needle valve does control flow not just TSO? 

"Needle valves, sometimes referred to as plunger valves, are regulating valves and enable engineers to finely control and regulate water flow and pressure." 

What alternatives would you recommend? 

Iain 

Hi Iain - have you looked at fuel needle valve assemblies for model aeroplane engines?  Lots of different sizes and configurations depending upon engine size and whether shaft intake or rear plate intake. Just a sample here, but there are loads of different types available. Might be worth a look?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=model engine needle valve&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-55004-18975-0&mkcid=2&keyword=model engine needle valve&crlp=_&MT_ID=&geo_id=&rlsatarget=kwd-81776304109698:loc-188&adpos=&device=c&mktype=&loc=132769&poi=&abcId=&cmpgn=373192874&sitelnk=&adgroupid=1308419041251388&network=o&matchtype=b&msclkid=d3eac0f931df1e58621c9f4a8504da50