Tappet noise?

daverclasper

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

just wondering if it really isn't a problem, and the oil flow is normal. 

Me too......

Not sure how the outgoing oilway can be misaligned.  The flat covers pretty much the whole width and the groove is elliptical.....

Looking at your video, I would also say that assuming starter cranking speed with plugs out, the oil delivery is fine.

Nick

Nick, yes plugs out on starter motor. 

The amount of oil was virtually nothing after 4 long cranks. I realise its only crank speed but I thought it's not enough. At tickover there wasn't any oil coming out of the rockers with the old or new rocker assemblies. With the new pump it didn't really improve. For me I want to see some oil pooling but nothing raised the alarm. 

Plenty of oil now with restricted external feeder, drips nicely on all but one rocker where it pisses out. The engine guy put a manky old assembly on and the oil dripped as expected so the new rocker assembly has issues! 

One step forward......... 

Iain on water supply pressure reducing valves the rate of opening and closure of the valve is controlled by a Wade Needle Valve, where the size of the orifice around the needle regulates the rate of flow to a pilot valve (etal like our carbs), we used to regularly use as small as 1/8in, maybe one could be plumbed/fitted in the devils pipe to allow adjustment to what's acceptable, The orifice used to be so small a filter was reqd to stop any obstruction, but I'd just mark the valves position and open up to flush thro & then reset.

I'd say the video of cranking shows about the right amount of oil. Like Pete has repeatedly said, it's not supposed to be a torrent! The rocker shaft - when in decent condition - only needs a very small amount of oil. Your description of the behaviour with the spawn feed sounds like far too much oil.

10 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Wade Needle Valve

Peter, what a good idea! Obviously I would need to choose one suitable for oil, pressure and temperature range. I had a quick look and the stainless body valves seem as though they would work. A company called Oliver Valves make some, where I used to work we machined stainless undersea valve bodies for them, the tolerances and inspection criteria on anything undersea is very strict! 

Iain 

27 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ian what restriction is in the spawn feed ???  must be very very small hole 

its time to get it all  'run in' and then when the dust has settled remove the external and see how it 

all works as std, ... or not   

then live with the solution 

This is still work in progress and I will need to tweek the flow perhaps using Peters solution. 

As to whether there is actually a problem, if ANY oil came out of the rockers I wouldn't have started on this venture into the unknown but it was bone dry. Only lub seems to have been from oil mist. 

Iain 

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

I'd say the video of cranking shows about the right amount of oil. Like Pete has repeatedly said, it's not supposed to be a torrent! The rocker shaft - when in decent condition - only needs a very small amount of oil. Your description of the behaviour with the spawn feed sounds like far too much oil.

With the new rocker assembly it does pee out but with an old used assembly fitted it just drips so once a replacement new assembly is fitted I am hoping it will be fine but I like the idea of a controllable valve. 

Iain 

34 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

I love this place 8 pages and we dont help Ian sleep at night   Ha !!!

I haven't slept properly in the 3 years I've had the the bloody car! 

You have to have some masochistic soul searching tenancies to own a classic car.....no pain no gain! 

Now I wonder what else can go wrong? 

Iain 

PS 

Life is much better in the forum, outside is a cold dark place! 

• Haha 1

then when it gets better ,  you order a pint and find youve forgotten your wallet   

I always say dont talk too loud they sit out there and listen to you so they get their own back 

often when in best togs and its dark and raining apart from that there is no reason why they shouldnt take you out for the day and come back with a smile 

Pete

Looking for a needle valve with 1/8 npt thread, I've found several at megabucks or not suitable for oil due to tip material etc. I've found a brass valve for natural gas, I'm no hydraulic engineer but it's max pressure, 150bar, is way above engine oil requirement and I assume it would be OK for oil? It does not have any plastic parts that could deteriorate and is a much more attractive price. 

Thoughts anyone? 

I do like the idea of being in control! 

Iain 

9 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

what you need is a wireless version with a in rocker camera so you can tune the oil as you drive 

Ha Ha I think your takin' the mickey😂

I'll make some enquiries tomorrow, if it works it could be a 'must have'? 

Iain 

If you were to prevent the oil leaving via the rockers then after a few seconds you would have normal engine oil pressure, as the oil would have nowhere to go, but as you have controlled leakage, the overall pressure is negligible, just enough to push it out of the rockers.

have I got my theory right?

Iain.  Don't know if this is useful.

On my Vit. Old very worn shaft at front/old rockers = no oil from rocker tops at the front.

New shaft, old rockers (rattling fit), then a continuous, small, slow trickle from top rocker holes at at idle.

Always had good oil pressure (going by the gauge?).

Not sure what it would be like, if everything spot on, eg new engine?.

Dave