Electric Rad Fan Fitting

Iain T

7 hours ago, Iain T said:

Thanks all, providing I can get the thing off I was just going to take 10mm off the front face as that seems the simplest solution.

Iain

If you look at the sketch attached to my previous post, you will see that the rear of the boss has a significant taper (assuming Vitesse is the same as GT6) and taking 10mm off the front would leave a very thin section of the boss onto which the bolt must bear.

But hopefully you will have enough clearance as you suggest.

Ian

Ian, 

I have to admit I'm not exactly sure what it looks like. The Haynes manual just shows a simple boss with the four tapped holes for the fan and a hole on the centre. I'm hoping that's correct and it's not like yours! 

The photo of mine does seem as though it's like the Haynes manual. 

Iain 

These spacers are available in various thicknesses with Vitesse ones being the thinnest and almost flush with the front of the pulley. Don’t recall clearance with the crank pulley being the main concern when I fitted my fan (the pump pulley on the other hand....) and that’s with a trigger wheel too. Possibly you have a GT6 one? Anyhow, taking a bit off yours should be easy enough and, as it’s solidly bolted to the crank, will have no effect on the harmonic damper.

Nick

On 17/08/2020 at 17:44, classiclife said:

Hello Iain,

I fitted a Stoney Racing 120W pulling fan to my Mk2 which has the following A,B,C,D dimensions:

12" Pull Type Curved Blade 12v 120W SRU-PULLC12-120W 314mm x 301mm x 65mm x 33mm 1.38kg <9a

The attached diagram shows the location of the letters.

I didn't need to do any alterations, just fitted the fan in situ. Not sure this is of any assistance but the key figure is "C" = 65mm compared to your 51mm, giving the impression you should have more space to play with than I did.

Regards.

Richard.

Stoney-Racing-12v-Cooling-Fan-Classic-Kit-Car-4x4-120W-160W-220W-Electric

Hi,

The fan spec looks like Chinese lies. How many amps does it take at 12 volts? probably 6 amps? Probably 60 watts.

Find a Spal fan that fits. It will be more than 9 Amps though. Amps = faster cooling.

Stoney Racing. it's in the name. Avoid.

You could be right but I now think that, at least for a standard engine set up, even the chinese fans might be sufficient. After all its only got to do more than the mechanical fan at  tickover (maybe 800rpm compared to 2000rpm+ for an electric unit) and its certainly going to be much more effective at directing the air through the radiator...

11 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

The fan spec looks like Chinese lies. How many amps does it take at 12 volts? probably 6 amps? Probably 60 watts.

Find a Spal fan that fits. It will be more than 9 Amps though. Amps = faster cooling.

Stoney Racing. it's in the name. Avoid.

Well I presume, you neither have one of these fans nor have tested one in the past ??

Speaking as someone who has, I can say that the fan has provided faultless reliable service over the last 7x years in the Vitesse dealing with 40+ degree temperatures abroad on a frequent basis. It cools quickly and does the job. Further to that, I have the 160W 14" version on the Daimler and that reduces the coolant temperature exceedingly quickly. I should add I also had the same fan on my Sunbeam Alpine for many years.

Whatever the construction attributes may or may not be, I can only report on factual first hand experience and knowledge. I tend to find that is of greater veracity and for me is the acid test rather than random self-convincing vacuous beliefs. 

Richard, 

The only reason I chose the Spal is because it's the thinnest one I could find with a known reputation. The spec says 6.5A and 80W and only 51mm deep and although on fitting your 65mm deep fan may have worked I just didn't want to take the chance. I'm not sure why I seem to have less room than others but I'm looking forward to Duxford and have a rummage around other cars! 

Iain 

Good news, it's off! 

Now I know what the back end looks like, I thought it was solid and not counterbored! 

The centre is 6.2mm thick so I think I could reasonably take 3mm off the front as the crank fan won't be fitted. I assume the outer part of the boss still acts as a retainer for the pulley wheel? The bolt head is 10.2mm thick so again I could take 3mm off and still get enough purchase with a socket. Only an extra 6mm of clearance but every little helps! 

However I am doing nothing until the fan arrives tomorrow to see exactly what clearances I have. 

Iain 

15978357683937855815260282074312.jpg

First off I gave it a very stern talking too! 

Then I asked a guy working in the car park to put his foot on the brake and together with the gearbox in top and me standing on the socket bar it finally turned. It seems the handbrake is now on the list of things to adjust as when I tried yesterday the engine turned and the car went backwards! 

One challenge down many many more to follow. If I get in the poop I'll be sure to 'ask the forum'. Either way I'll let everyone know how it turns out. 

Cheers 

Iain 

4 hours ago, classiclife said:

Well I presume, you neither have one of these fans nor have tested one in the past ??

Speaking as someone who has, I can say that the fan has provided faultless reliable service over the last 7x years in the Vitesse dealing with 40+ degree temperatures abroad on a frequent basis. It cools quickly and does the job. Further to that, I have the 160W 14" version on the Daimler and that reduces the coolant temperature exceedingly quickly. I should add I also had the same fan on my Sunbeam Alpine for many years.

Whatever the construction attributes may or may not be, I can only report on factual first hand experience and knowledge. I tend to find that is of greater veracity and for me is the acid test rather than random self-convincing vacuous beliefs. 

Unfortunately its true that some manufacturers do exaggerate their fans power figures which is not to say they wont do the job but does make comparison on pricing impossible. Its easy to check by using a meter in series to measure the fan current flow (air flow is almost directly related to this) although most multimeters are limited to 10A so if the fan is rated at more than 120w youre likely to damage the meter. Also if you find the cooling is insufficient it might be because the fan is not as powerful as you think.... 

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

The centre is 6.2mm thick so I think I could reasonably take 3mm off the front as the crank fan won't be fitted. I assume the outer part of the boss still acts as a retainer for the pulley wheel?

Actually, the boss's primary purpose is as a retainer for the pulley and the timing gear. It's heavily recessed so that it fits snugly over the crankshaft nose but clamps entirely onto the shim/gear/flinger/damper/pulley stack. That 6.2mm inner disk is the only thing holding your engine together and takes the full brunt of that 90-100lbft tightening torque. I'm not sure I'd be happy skimming it very much.

15 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I'm not sure I'd be happy skimming it very much.

Agreed, as I said I'll do a trial fit as is before as a last resort I machine anything🤞

I can't move the radiator any further forward but altering the angle may just be enough to make it work without any machining mods. Or possibly mod the fan housing? Unfortunately I'm out tomorrow so the trial may have to wait until Friday.

Iain

56 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Agreed, as I said I'll do a trial fit as is before as a last resort I machine anything🤞

Source a replacement FIRST before butchering the old one, just in case... :) You've no idea how hard to find, rare or expensive a part can be until you damage the old one.

Colin, you're all making me nervous! Don't give me these negative vibes, I want only positive thoughts😁

Fortunately making a new one is not a problem for me. I did look look for a replacement but couldn't find one so perhaps they are rare? 

As I said I have to wait at another property for a delivery between 9 and 5 tomorrow as they can't give me a more defined time😡 why? 

Iain 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, classiclife said:

Hi,
I normally rely on data from the manufacture. Spal details all for their fans.
When electrical data is not available I measure it.
You are correct I do not have the eBay fans as they were returned to the seller at their cost as the provided data was a lie.
How many amps did you measure & at what voltage for the 160W fan you have?

Cheers,

Iain.

I was curious about the recorded amps on the 120W and 160W fan, both running 12volts, these are the recordings I took today:

120W recorded 9.46A

160W recorded 12.77A

That's not too far off the scale; I do not expect everything to come in on the mark and happy to settle for that.

I guess the critical point (for me certainly) is that the fans do what I want them to do on a reliable basis each time.  

3 minutes ago, classiclife said:

I was curious about the recorded amps on the 120W and 160W fan, both running 12volts, these are the recordings I took today:

120W recorded 9.46A

160W recorded 12.77A

That's not too far off the scale; I do not expect everything to come in on the mark and happy to settle for that.

I guess the critical point (for me certainly) is that the fans do what I want them to do on a reliable basis each time.  

Hi,

Those readings look very good. Happy days!

Cheers,

Iain.

I'm with you classiclife, the proof is in its actual fit for purpose.

We fitted a probable Chinese 10in elect fan adapted  as a pusher on the daughters Mk2 Spit eons ago from a local motor supply chain, the local product name was Calibre it performs well and the car has coped with greater than 40C and extended traffic jams. next time I'm out of covid lock down and down at her place I'll check the power and amp ratings and its actual performance.

Iain very interested in your thread as I've always wanted to convert my Mk2 Vitesse but the space and possible size has always thwarted my doing it!

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Source a replacement FIRST before butchering the old one, just in case... :) You've no idea how hard to find, rare or expensive a part can be until you damage the old one.

While I generally agree with this philosophy it is only a round piece of steel with a counter bore on the back, a threaded hole right through and four smaller holes to bolt the fan to. Nothing an decent engineering shop couldn't knock up in an hour or so. Whether the fact it is casting versus machining makes a difference I don't know.

Adrian