Triumph Spitfire Hydraulic Boot Lift Kit

hardhatharry

1 hour ago, dannyb said:

This is the one I made. Gas strut 400n I believe. Would be a lot less in a fiberglass boot.  You will need to reinforce the bracket on the boot lid or it will bend it. 

Danny

Cheers Danny, when you say re-enforce how thick is the metal? Luckily my boot is in primer so I can weld some extra metal on.

Gas strut 400N is a tenner https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-GAS-STRUT-SPRING-450MM-400N-BOOT-BONNET-MULTI-PURPOSE-/274406142272

Just need to find the correct ends and job done!!

2 minutes ago, chrisbladen said:

Has anybody done this to a spitfire bonnet?

Not done any research or anything, i Just stumbled across this thread and thought it might be a useful modification on the "slightly" heavy bonnet lol

Yes I have, there was a guy selling the bracketry on ebay for around £25 and the struts cost about £15 so all in it was £40 and worked well.

I'll see if I can dig out the details

1 minute ago, hardhatharry said:

Yes I have, there was a guy selling the bracketry on ebay for around £25 and the struts cost about £15 so all in it was £40 and worked well.

I'll see if I can dig out the details

Ok mate thanks...would be £40 well spent in my eyes, and save all kinds of pain in the back lol

I did experiment with different forces of strut. 200n and you have to lift the boot all the way up. 600n and the boot will open on its own but is much too strong. The bracket on the boot needs to be 3 x the thickness of the original.  The boots are heavy and the rack also adds to the weight on. mine.