Fox and headgasket ....

wimpus

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

finger prints were taken at the same time it was issued,

Cannot see that happening in the UK, we don`t even fingeprint/DNA those so called "illegal" Migrants. Because they have "uman rites".

Pete

6 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Cannot see that happening in the UK, we don`t even fingeprint/DNA those so called "illegal" Migrants. Because they have "uman rites".

Pete

I know, in Britain the very idea of having an ID card has always been a sensitive question. Big brother knowing where you are or what you are doing, as if the card has a GPS chip. Mobile phones give away you location. The card acts as a bank card or time you need to confirm who you are it's very useful

11 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I know, in Britain the very idea of having an ID card has always been a sensitive question. Big brother knowing where you are or what you are doing, as if the card has a GPS chip. Mobile phones give away you location. The card acts as a bank card or time you need to confirm who you are it's very useful

The beauty of the mobile phone is it CAN be switched off. Not many do I know. Passports are voluntary.

Serious question? Is it actually an offence NOT to carry your ID card?.

Pete

Its not just that Chris but also an ID card system is another quite large bureaucratic financial burden on society that just isnt necessary as we get by fine in the UK without it.

Also I find in Spain just because they have ID cards absolutely everyone makes it a requirement to show it even when its completely over the top. And yes there is a fine for not having it on you...

That's good progress! As Pete says, plenty of assembly lube on the cam and followers. You're probably already aware, the advice on first starting up with a new cam is to run the engine at 2,000rpm for 20 minutes. No stopping no slowing down unless absolutely necessary e.g. to fix a fluid leak. This beds in the cam and followers.

Nigel

As Pete says, plenty of the right kind of lube on the cam and followers is important.

But before that, you should check, if it is not too late, that the followers have flat faces. To do this you can put two together, face to face and make sure they do not rock. In fact with a layer of engine oil they should almost stick together.

I say this because there are also followers available (not Triumph) that are crowned. These have a very slightly convex face which is not obvious without the above check and do sometimes get supplied in error, even by companies who really should know better.

Going back to the lube, there are various special products available, but Newman’s have previously told me to use EP90 provided the engine will be run within a day or two of assembly.

Also important that the engine oil has decent levels of ZDDP (1,100 ppm or more). This is important for all fills on flat tappet engines but especially the first start.

It is also usually recommended that the engine must be run at 1500 - 2000 rpm for the first 20 minutes to ensure good lubrication during break-in.

Good luck!

Nick

13 hours ago, PeteH said:

Serious question? Is it actually an offence NOT to carry your ID card?.

Pete

Yes. But then again when going out in the car you are supposed to carry registration & insurance paperwork so not any burden. It sits in my wallet and of course in case of an accident my identity and address are there for the medical services.

12 hours ago, johny said:

Also I find in Spain just because they have ID cards absolutely everyone makes it a requirement to show it even when its completely over the top. And yes there is a fine for not having it on you...

In Spain the law requires all adults to present identification when checking in to a hotel, Spanish nationals or foreigners. I guess that goes back to Franco's era. France used to be the same but was dropped quite a good few years ago.

20 minutes ago, johny said:

the money

I doubt it's very much. The brexiteers loved to lie about all the money that the EU cost us (it actually was net beneficial) without giving any context for the numbers (not enough to make a difference in what they claimed it could better be spent on). This looks like another example of bad maths, and I suspect the cost of the identity card system is entirely lost in the noise of government spending.

I forget what the cost was that was estimated when the subject last came up for debate and it would certainly pale into insignificance compared to Covid spending - saying that do we really want to spend more on bureaucracy and the pen pushers that go with?

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

In Spain the law requires all adults to present identification when checking in to a hotel, Spanish nationals or foreigners. I guess that goes back to Franco's era. France used to be the same but was dropped quite a good few years ago.

That fact figured extensivly in the Film "The Day of Jackal". With the police comander (Michael Lonsdale) having all the current "Hotel information Identity Checks" daily to try and find his location. He still evaded them!. More Useless information!.

I think it is more something to do with the Difference between "English" Presumtion of innocence, and the "Continental" presumption of guilt. Whatever, it is very deep seated in UK society.

I carry what I feel is neccessary. Not what some Bureaurocrat feels "the state requires".

Pete

48 minutes ago, johny said:

In that case Chris maybe the money would be better spent on hospitals or less taxes or something....

I think the French like their ID cards, funny bunch, mind you everyone wants less taxes but they also want more spent on public services. That's not just the French 😉

There are times when having an ID card can be useful. When the police were hunting the Yorkshire Ripper the son of my parents next door neighbour was stopped on the Dales and had a bad time trying to get the police to let get on his way. His name?

John Smith

Ive noticed, certainly in Spain, a philosophy of trying to cover absolutely every possible irregularity that could occur with numerous laws and systems. Theres no considering how big the problem is and comparing it with how much the measures are going to cost or how much inconvenience theyll cause. The end result can be systems which are not really enforceable so people ignore them and then focus on the important issues risks being lost. The rules governing vehicles is a good example with kit and modified cars and bikes being very hard to get on the road legally compared to the UK yet the accident statistics are considerably worse☹️   

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

That fact figured extensivly in the Film "The Day of Jackal". With the police comander (Michael Lonsdale) having all the current "Hotel information Identity Checks" daily to try and find his location. He still evaded them!. More Useless information!.

Well to be fair, the guy was under a false name, on a false passport, and they had absolutely no idea of who they were looking for. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands similar we have in the UK, currently evading deportation, who are content that they'll never be asked for any kind of ID?

(On the TV series today, Uk Border Force raided a Chinese Restaurant for an illegal resident who was working there illegally, found him in the kitchen, and the female owner claimed "I don't know him, he just walked in there and started cooking food for himself...") 

Today been busy.. 

Let 2 bushes made up from a bronze valve guide.

Tapped them in the blind holes in the block.... 1 was stuck.

Even with a puller it didnt want to come out !

So drilled it out, more bushes made and a bit shorter.

That did it !

Again big thanks to Mike (Sparky spit) for the tip !

20210121_151307.jpg

20210121_163831.jpg

20210121_164216.jpg

Then it was time for the head etc.

Then wanted to fire her up... no go.

Checked timing, but when turning her by hand could hear and feel a rattle...

Eventually after checking dizzy gear etc, found the starter was turning... stuck bendix !

Removed oil sender T piece etc to get starter out.

Cleaned it up and then it fired uo from the first try !

Checked timing after i let her run for 15 to 20min at around 2000rpm.

It was spot on !

Was amazed that it sounded so well.

Minor leak at the bottom rad hole, jublee clip was bad.

Did drive her for the full 15meters to her parking spot.

20210121_184037.jpg

20210121_212422.jpg

• Like 1