3/8 wheel studs, nuts?

16 hours ago, daverclasper said:

I wonder how well they work if someone gives them some stick?. My locking Waso cap was mullered off. Lock no longer worked, though luckily no damage to filler neck.

In these modern times, a cordless angle grinder or cordless drill will make a mockery of any kind of security. You can only try...

I took them off my Landrover - too much of a risk to get them off when up to the axles in mud! And as said, if they want the wheels, they will have them. As it happens it wasn't a problem for me - but I had pretty standard wheels, though the tyres weren't (I had a total of 15 wheels and tyres for a good while - 5 normal road wheels/tyres, 4 winter wheels/tyres, 6 off road wheels/tyres - off road the one spare went on the roof!

• Like 1

Yes, I'll not bother with the GT6.  The wire wheel cars are obviously not lockable anyway, but I will keep the set that's on the Mustang - the 8" Torque Thrust 'D's and the tyres sitting on them cost a fortune so just to kid myself they help they'll stay.  Trying to be Bullitt comes with a price tag....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger K said:

It's the original colour, Ford Royal Maroon, which is virtually indistinguishable from Triumph Damson.  I'm not allowed to park it next to the Carmine GT6 because my wife says they clash.

NSH_DriversMtg_Mustang-4.jpg

Great pic Roger, many thanks. 

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The old saying goes: a lock will only keep an honest man out. My mate in the breaker's yard can overcome any kind of locknut in about ten seconds.

Friend of mine had a Marina - was at a scrap yard getting some bits - and he left his keys in the boot and then shut it (He had a habit of putting the keys in the boot!) and it locked (Cos that was the design!) - but the first key he tried on the bunch that the guys in the yard gave him opened it again! 

My Vitesse 2-litre MkI (named syphilis - work it out) was nicked one night in South London in 1976.  They pushed it down the road, but couldn't get it to start as I had a hidden switch shorting the coil to earth.  When I recovered it I didn't have the keys, but my mate had the keys to his Mini.  Every single one (of 3) worked in the door and the ignition.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Roger K said:

My Vitesse 2-litre MkI (named syphilis - work it out) was nicked one night in South London in 1976.  They pushed it down the road, but couldn't get it to start as I had a hidden switch shorting the coil to earth.  When I recovered it I didn't have the keys, but my mate had the keys to his Mini.  Every single one (of 3) worked in the door and the ignition.

Not at all surprised. Providing the key will slide into the lock. The wards are usually so worn they work with any key. We made keys out of Shim steel. I could unlock nearly every door on the Older Ships with one. Especially the Cold rooms where the Food was kept. The Old style Mortice locks. Only needed a "T" and you where in. Padlocks where a doddle with a small allen key. (We had lots of time on our hands on long passages across the Pacific!. when doing service check`s on the "graveyard" watch). The hidden switch trick still works. Based on the "kiss" principle.

Pete

The beauty of them is that they are all different and will be hidden in different places.  The downside is that any crook with a basic knowledge of car electrics should soon be able to suss it out, but they have to know that they are looking for something, not just bad at starting temperamental old cars!

some wired the ignition to be earthed by the oil LP switch    car starts   psi builds  car cuts out 

dont do what my dad did in the war   remove rotor arm  put in pocket, car wont start so push it all the way home,

puts hand in pocket for house key and there's the rotor    well it worked this was a wartime requirement to immobilse cars parked 

i guess it happened a lot 

• Haha 1