Uprated GT6 gearbox

Bob Horner

Hi all

Further to my thread re slipping overdrive, I picked up a recon overdrive box off EBay.  The seller said it was from a mk1 Gt6 and said it had been uprated byFitchetts 2 years ago.  I thought it would be worth swapping for my current box and overdrive.  Anyway, I spotted it was a J type rather than D type and I assumed the overdrive  was the uprated bit but it seems it is a dolomite three rail as when I got it home, the spline is different and the number on the case suggests it’s from a 1850.  What clutch plate will I need to fit it?  Is it as simple as that?  

Bob

6 hours ago, Bob Horner said:

Hi all

Further to my thread re slipping overdrive, I picked up a recon overdrive box off EBay.  The seller said it was from a mk1 Gt6 and said it had been uprated byFitchetts 2 years ago.  I thought it would be worth swapping for my current box and overdrive.  Anyway, I spotted it was a J type rather than D type and I assumed the overdrive  was the uprated bit but it seems it is a dolomite three rail as when I got it home, the spline is different and the number on the case suggests it’s from a 1850.  What clutch plate will I need to fit it?  Is it as simple as that?  

Bob

Dolomite 1850 with J-type is a straight fit, bar the wiring for the overdrive which no longer requires a relay, just linked in to the reverse light circuit. I have one myself which did not fit the saloon engine the car originally had but fitted the GT6 Mk2 engine it was uprated with. Clutch is the Dolomite version which fits the splines so if the box number is 1850 then that's the clutch to go for.

I’ve just measured the length of the gearbox casing from the bell housing to the edge that meets the overdrive..  This is exactly the same for the std gearbox as the modded one. Thus the only thing that can lengthen it is the length of the j type compared to the d type.  My understanding is that this is the same because with a bit of machining you can fit a jtype,to a std Gt6 gearbox?

The adaptor between gearbox and OD is an inch longer.

the picture Johnny posted is of single rail gears and main shaft in a 3 rail casing.

A fairly easy swap, and a much stronger setup. Just needs a shorter prop shaft.

you can also get an original 3rail j-type in an early 1850, using the shorter main shaft as also fitted to late Mk4 Spitfire. It has the smaller tip bearing.

• Like 1

I have a three rail with large main shaft tip and fine input shaft fitted with a J type which is the same length as another I have with small tip and  coarse input shaft and j type. When I have swopped them the only thing I need to change is the clutch plate.

14 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Mike Papworth mentioned that TR7 clutches also fit?

Early 4 speed gearbox fine spline, think later five speed is a rover unit.

Regards

Paul

Overdrive bit temperamental last few days so cover off check wiring all seemed ok so decided to remove solenoid, already have a suitable spanner, but its earth connection was under a difficult to acess nut. After an extensive struggle to reach it used a pair of long nosed pliers to pull wire out of terminal, surprisingly easily.

Several squirts of brake cleaner inside solenoid which can dry over lunch.

O ring sizes on Buckeyetriumph.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_20210425_124812.jpg