Anyone know how much oil goes into the carb pots? SU HS4 1 1/2

hardhatharry

Leave the damper in. Run the oil down the shaft of the damper until 1/4-1/2” from top. Move damper up and down a couple of times and repeat check on oil level. What you don’t want us too little or the engine will hesitate. If you over fill it will be dragged into your engine and help to build up tar in the engine (so no real harm, but best avoided).  Some people think that it’s best to use engine oil. Others use the 20w stuff religiously. See what works for you. 😃

33 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

have to ask ...why do you need to know how much  is there a snag here ??

its  very little Clives about right >

just top up to just below the top of the damper tube so there is some resistance fitting the dashpot back in 

just use squirt of engine oil 

pete

I have just sonic cleaned the carbs, no oil in there now.

does that say what is its viscosity ???  

stroms use engine oil while SU used to state a straight 20    

workshop manual says engine oil 

so a refill with 20/50 engine oil in a Stromberg or SU  is the far cheapest option you dont need any special product 

so when you have used this up refill with engine oil 

any cats pee will give you flat spots and poor acceleration , this dashpot is you enrichemnt pump for when you open the the throtles 

its important to keep it topped up and have the right oil inside to dampen any sudden piston rise .

Pete

Only ever used Engine Oils in the dashpots, on both SU`s and Strombergs, back when, It was sometimes a Straight 30W too. Then Duckhams brought out 15/30! green stuff. So changing from "summer" to "winter" grades, was thought unnecessary!. Such "sophistication"?.😒. I also had to buy it!, prior, I had just taken a gallon home from work!. (oop`s?) as we used it in the production machines. Quite a few "oil changes" where done during Lunch break!.

Pete

11 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Caveat Emptor?  That's about as far as my Latin goes.

Dick

Mine only goes as far As Piza? Stuffed crust or Deep Pan?. Although I think Servesa could be Beer?.😂

Pete