Unleaded Head.

Paul Amey

apart from costs why run on a lower grade of fuel than the engine is designed to run on we cant get 101 but even sainbugs and tesco sell 97 -99  

this is as close you can get  if you want brisk performance why run on a retarded mix with additives   when the right stuff with the right timing doesnt need retarding 

which adds heat many seem paranoid about  with the retarded giving you low acceleration sooty plugs and valve burning    i dont get the plot 

if its your pride and joy why skimp a few pound a year on its lifeblood 

too many worry about the myths and misguided ideas rather than do whats right and get the   smile .......do whats designed and it will repay you easily

mess with the specifications if you like a headache    Ha !

the basics  work perfectly 

Pete

• Like 2

The last time I had that to consider, BMW RS100 Motorcycle, I had to go 15 Miles, JUST to get super leaded fuel!. So much of the time I ran it on (I think) 97octane from Tesco, And topped up with "Super" as and when I could get it. Bike didn`t seem to mind?.

Pete

55 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Bike didn`t seem to mind?

Some engines do, some don't. The 100 octane spec. on our cars is only really applicable to Mk1 Vitesse and GT6 - all Heralds were 95RON (3* in the day) and the Vitesse / GT6 were re-tuned for 97 (4*, because 5* had disappeared) on Mk2.

I would say cost wise additives are extremely expensive. But having said that, if you do feel the need to use them Millers do the best range on the market in my opinion.

The problem I have identified with not doing a lead conversion on the head is , if you don't know the history of what fuel it's been running on, the lead embedded in the valve seats could have eroded long ago. The problem being it's about twenty years since leaded fuel was available in this country.

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul Amey said:

the lead embedded in the valve seats could have eroded long ago. The problem being it's about twenty years since leaded fuel was available in this country.

is there anyone on here with years of classis driving suffere valve seat rescession ????  i cant remeber anyone posting they have got it 

our heads last realy well with general driving i would be more worried about whats for dinner than any valve problems 

tight tappets will destroy a valve far quicker than lead memory and they are in the hands of the owner 

Pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

2* was for the few days at the end of the month before payday, followed by a topup of 4* once paid to make up for it with a kind of 3* mix....

Sort of did the same thing with beer (for 'umans not cars). Close to pay day drank the cheaper stuff at 1/10, once paid went upmarket to the 2/- a pint better stuff 😵

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

is there anyone on here with years of classis driving suffere valve seat rescession ????  i cant remeber anyone posting they have got it 

I did earlier. But was due I think to the PO lapping the valves in which caused the lead memory to disappear.

whats wrong with Red Barrel   Ha !   was around 1/- a pint at tech college   or Flowers Keg  seeing as the brewery was across the road to the tech college

now has a university name over the doors and the Flowers  ( later whitbread)  brewery is long gone 

thats when Luton was going places now its just   ...gone 

Pete

10 hours ago, Paul Amey said:

I would say cost wise additives are extremely expensive. But having said that, if you do feel the need to use them Millers do the best range on the market in my opinion.

The problem I have identified with not doing a lead conversion on the head is , if you don't know the history of what fuel it's been running on, the lead embedded in the valve seats could have eroded long ago. The problem being it's about twenty years since leaded fuel was available in this country.

Paul

Lead memory lasts VERY well on cars that are not driven hard. My good friend has a herald he has averaged 10+K a year in for 25 years (do the maths!) on an unconverted head. In fact the who engine just had a refresh when he fitted it, although a piston blew about 5 years ago, so a used piston and new set of rings solved that. However, I don't think it every goes much over 3000rpm. I wonder if that car is the highest mileage herald, could be but no idea of how many miles on it when bought.

Quote from (1962) The Herald 1200 Owners Manual:-   "If further supply is needed, fill up with premium grade fuel unless a low compression cylinder head is fitted". The C-R is quoted as 8:1. (or 8.5:1 where the twin Carb; conversion is fitted.

Pete

I might as well throw my hat, or bottle of additive, into the ring.

I do use one. I'm aware of the pros & cons. I use it because a while after I bought the car, it came with some bills but not a lot of history, I eventually noticed a rather large plaque on the heater for a garage in the UK.

I phoned them  and the guy remembered the car. He said that the engine smoked a lot and had a rebore but when asked he said the head hadn't been modified to unleaded. I forgot to ask if any valve work had been carried out. I have assumed that it was likely  and that the lead memory could have been lost. 

The guy even went to try and see if he had some of the paint left that had been used for a respray, he thought it was a VW reference.

I ought to try and contact them again for any other info they might have and if possible copies of bills for work carried out. I would be willing to send them some beer tokens or even a couple of bottles of stronger stuff to compensate them for their trouble.

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

he thought it was a VW reference.

Chris, There was a VW colour very close to that, used on the Passat range, a Mate of mine had a very similar colour on an early Golf. Nice deep "burgundy" colour in the "flesh".

Pete

14 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Chris, There was a VW colour very close to that, used on the Passat range, a Mate of mine had a very similar colour on an early Golf. Nice deep "burgundy" colour in the "flesh".

Pete

Yes it is a nice one, with the (off)white stripe to set it off.