Unleaded Head.

Paul Amey

I had a spitfire one done at a local machine shop. Just had the exhaust valve seats done, then added 3 angle seats (a few quid each) to all. Any machine shop should be able to do the job. Or could a few years ago.

Of course, you may need valve guides too if they are worn. The job can get bigger.....

Only get the cylinder head converted for unleaded when it needs to be removed. Valve seat recession happens only very slowly, if at all, in normal road use.

As and when the head does need to be removed,, consider the TSSC club shop conversion, which is done by Ivor Searle, a top engine remanufacturer.

Nigel

Another vote for "just run with it as is" here. My GT6 hasn't been "converted" and doesn't even always get treated to "super" fuel. No sign of any valve problems despite four Round Britain runs since leaded fuel disappeared.

The only caveat is that this "lead memory" effect works for relatively normal use (see above re: 2000 miles in 48 hours being "normal" in this case) on a car that's running well. I did manage to get serious VSR on a Toledo by entering it for RBRR, three up, with a faulty float valve making it run piss weak all weekend, whilst thrashing the private parts off it.

The UK obsession with valve recession in the face of leadless is strange, esp. to the Americans.  They had lead free a good ten years before we did, and have never seen it in 'normal' use.    

BUT, if you ever regrind the valves, that will remove any 'lead memory'!

1 hour ago, ed.h said:

The vast majority of US "gasoline" vehicles went unleaded 10 years before the UK. without real issue?, beyond as understand it some reduction in Compression Ratio?. I am thinking the Heads on the Triton V10 in my R-V did not have hardened seats?. I ran that on standard "gas".

Pete

This sort of work is costly. If your budget is restricted I, personally, would not bother. All of the fuss in the 'nineties was really over blown. You only need to do this if you intend to race or use full power for long spells. Valve seat recession (VSR) can easily be monitored by checking tappet clearances more often. The gaps will close if it occurs. Find a spare cylinder head and have it modified if VSR occurs.

There is so much lead embedded in an old valve seats, so long as you do not machine or grind it out. It will last some 50,000 miles.

Enjoy your car by havng relaxed drives. If you want to blast away from traffic lights buy a 1990's sports hatch-back for that purpose.

On 31/08/2021 at 22:25, JohnD said:

The UK obsession with valve recession in the face of leadless is strange, esp. to the Americans.  They had lead free a good ten years before we did, and have never seen it in 'normal' use.    

BUT, if you ever regrind the valves, that will remove any 'lead memory'!

I had my head done a couple of years ago by a firm in Bromsgrove (Was on Car SOS - the firm not my car!) and they said it had suffered recession - but I think the PO had reground the valves in.........

They did the valve angles too and also skimmed it 0.5mm or so.

According to the paperwork that came with my 13/60. It had a head swap curtesy of club shop back in the 90`s. So either way I don`t have to worry too much, I do however have a low compresssion on one cylinder, so the head`s coming off at some point. One of those job`s for when the shell goes for final paint. IF I ever get the "Shuts" something like!!!.

As for "Summer", I Think it was one Wednesday afternoon?. Fingers crossed, "they" are promising a couple of decent days next week, and we are away in the Motorhome, up the North Yorks Moors, at least the pub is only a 100 yard walk.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

As for "Summer", I Think it was one Wednesday afternoon?. Fingers crossed, "they" are promising a couple of decent days next week, and we are away in the Motorhome, up the North Yorks Moors, at least the pub is only a 100 yard walk.

Pete

We had a great summer, one of the hottest on record, so I bought a convertible two weeks ago... at the end of the summer? Work that one out. The summer in which I bought my first Spitfire was the wettest on record to so the top came down twice in all of my ownership. 

I think it's never been converted to unleaded - it didn't even have antifreeze! - so I'll watch and see what happens. It's going to get a severe wake-up under my ownership.

Cost wise theres not much in it Pete as I can use my lead/octane/ethanol protect additive (about 5p/litre fuel) with the cheapest 95 I can find and thats cheaper than 97. True I have the hassle of adding it but then I dont have to worry about if a particular place has Super...