Greetings from project-free Newport Pagnell

It is with great sadness that I have joined this forum. Sad, because it signifies the sale of my last Triumph just one week ago. Of course, that was a motorbike, so probably counts for nothing around these parts.

The flip side, though, is that I have a space in my garage and cash on the hip to enable me to fill it!

I'm a returning TSSC member, having owned a Spitfire back in the 1980's (more of which later), and currently swaying back and forth (and hither and yon, for there are three directions to my sway) between either buying an MGB GT (sorry, but I have to get it out there), a Herald/Vitesse or maybe another motorbike. The two-wheeled leg of my ongoing journey is perhaps the least likely, and so that will be the hither of my swaying, but a nice old car? Well? Why not?

More about my Spitfire - I bought it in 1986 and owned it until 1992, and it was always referred to as the egg, mainly because it was yellow with white wheels, roof and over-riders, but also because it was a bit smelly due to it spending every winter locked away in a garage and, let's be honest here, looked after in the manner of a 17 year old boy, because that was what I was.

I know that my old car - PHK295R - is still on the road. I saw it about 10 years ago and noticed, almost immediately, that it is now green! I'm dead sharp, me, and not much gets past me! The DVLA tell me that it's still on the road, so it would be nice to find out where, and maybe swap some memories with the current owner. Oddly enough, when I came to this site via Google, the yellow Spitfire on the splash screen almost had the same reg number as my old one, I had to look twice (and remind myself about the whole green thing, obvs).

I'd love a GT6, but aren't they expensive? Blimey, I'm amazed how much they have increased in value.

One of the reasons for moving away from 2 wheels is that I have a wife. Have had for 30 years now. She's a good sort and more than happy on the back of the bike, but it's just such a palaver to sally forth for a day out, the outfits aren't flattering, and it always just seems to hot or too cold. Or too raining.

A Herald, or Vitesse, convertible seems about right to me, and that's what I'm researching right now.

So, that's me, that's why I'm here and that, hopefully, will be why I'm sticking around

4 minutes ago, DickBrowne said:

A Herald, or Vitesse, convertible seems about right to me, and that's what I'm researching right now.

First off, welcome to the forum. I had better give you the health warning though :

The people on here will drive you mad, up the wall and split your sides as you laugh. From time to time they can even be helpful when you least expect it, so keep your eyes open!

As a very ex biker, a Triumph 6T did figure among the list, I would recommend a convertible. You get that same sensation from one with the hood down as you do on a bike, the change in air temperature as you go from sun to shade and the smell of the countryside.

Vitesse or Herald? Very much the same while being quite different.

I'm happy with the more humble 13/60, it does what I want it to, there is more room under the bonnet when you need to get in there. My main reason for the choice is nostalgia - I learnt to drive in one back in 1970 when they were a very popular driving school vehicle.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Chris - humble works well for me also :)

One question, though, and this may or may not be something you have knowledge of living in France, but I so have to ask the question...

E10 - I'm holding back slightly to see if there is any terrible effect on old engines, but what's the overall thought and feeling on e10? Will it cause all engines to explode, or will it be a bit on an unleaded damp squib?

24 minutes ago, DickBrowne said:

E10 - I'm holding back slightly to see if there is any terrible effect on old engines, but what's the overall thought and feeling on e10? Will it cause all engines to explode, or will it be a bit on an unleaded damp squib?

This is, shall we say, the subject of a lively debate on the forum as you will shortly find out 😱

I run mine on 97 Octane, which has no more than 5% (note the no more than). 95 exists in both E5 & E10 and has done for a while - even E85 is available.

41 minutes ago, DickBrowne said:

what's the overall thought and feeling on e10? Will it cause all engines to explode

Last Sunday I went up to the Duxfoed meeting, 170 mile round trip and had to fill up with E10 on the way back. The GT6 did not turn into a pumpkin. E5 and more so E10 attack inferior rubber piping. I've replaced all mine in the fuel line with "Gates Barricade", a make which is supposedly impervious to the dread E fuel. 5 and 10 will also give reduced performance so stick to the highest octane you can find.

Doug

2 hours ago, DickBrowne said:

It is with great sadness that I have joined this forum.

Don't worry, some of us are reputedly sad too, so you're very welcome.

What's your preferred convertible - finished / drive only, fit to be tinkered with or a project? I'll keep an eye out and see what appears online.

I did consider a Spitfire, but my wife isn't really that keen on them - GT6 also, oddly. I'm working on that, but for my current style of motoring, the Vitesse/Herald line are just fine. 

As long as it keeps up with modern traffic well enough to not be a danger, that's good enough.

Funnily enough, if I were to go for a MG, it would almost definitely have to be a GT as I love the coupe shape, similarly the GT6 appeals, but if it were a Vitesse/Herald, I'd like it to be a convertible.

As for the state of the car I'm willing to buy, I'm pretty open. I'm handy with a spanner and very few mechanical things scare m. Similarly, interiors aren't an issue, but I recognise my own limits with bodywork. I've never been much good at that stuff. I can weld well enough to stick pieces of metal together, and make the joint strong, but it ain't pretty. 

I have restored motorbikes in the past, down to bare-metal, but I wouldn't want to do that with a car

the advantage of a herald or vitesse is when the joints dont flex like a 21 year old  you can get in and out without a hoist or rolling out on your knees then climbing up the bodywork back to upright 

the 13/60 keeps up well the 6 pot has the sound you need to smile but the engine is a ground anchor , if you like heavy steering to park 

and all 50 yr old convertible designs  leak     

welcome to the mad house 

Pete 

We have a very nice convertible for sale locally now; downside may be that it was a 12/50 saloon before conversion, but it was very well converted and is in excellent condition; I know as I had it on the ramp a month or two ago and it's immaculate underneath. Let me know if it's of any interest.

6133283A-E9F1-44B0-9845-9629FF268778_1_105_c.jpeg.b77ae0eab5e36886ac69a2dd3fb78907.jpeg

Hi

Curiosity?. Was it "converted" using the saloon tub and bespoke Hood. Or was a C-V rear tub grafted on?.

I ask, because back in the 80`s, I was "offered" the full back end from a crashed Herald C-V, to hybridise our Vittese Saloon. Only a lack of cash at the time really stopped me doing it.

Pete

If you really want to go left field, there's the really quite rare convertible 2-litre Bond Equipe, which combines the heavy steering of a Vitesse with a front end that goes light at speed, fibreglass bodywork that looks perfect but hides swathes of terminal rust and such a low public profile that wherever you park Joe Public feels impelled to ask 'Worrisitmate?', thereby starting a ten minute conversation, come rain or shine. Oh, and such low resale values that any money you put into restoration might as well be burnt. 

Don't ask me how I know all this 😄

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm a really left-field kinda guy :)

I'd like to get myself and Mrs. DickBrowne a sit in a Vitesse or Herald to try one on for size, but I'm struggling to find anything for sale within a reasonable striking distance of Milton Keynes... 

Would there be any members nearby who may have one they would allow us to sit in? I know it's a cheek, but, well, if you don't ask...