Winter Heat Required

Colin

18 hours ago, Colin said:

Thanks Pete - 'twas one of my theories.

I think for next scheduled flushing, I'm considering the soda crystal option.

Best,

C.

Colin, I posted somewhere how I cleaned just the heater matrix with Soda. Look under cooling system. I'll have a look too.

Connect two pipes just to the heater (removing those already connected and the control valve if possible). Turn the pipes upwards and fill from a kettle containing hot water with soda in it. Leave it overnight. Flush it through with a hose next day. Repeat if you have time, or do it more often as soon as it cools.

Re-connect and test. This worked a dream on my car, but the valve was clogged also.

The blow of air is different either side on my car and gives a false impression that one side is hotter. Flaps may not be working as they should.

The two pipes are just upturned to keep the soda solution in, I take it (like a Viking helmet if the horns were the wrong way round?!). Good suggestion. Isolates the heater box from having to do the entire system. It'd be interesting to do as an experiment cleaning it on its own. See what shifts!

Thanks muchly! 

Anyone any idea what the plenum is all about? Where it affixes to? What it does?? 

Cheers, C.

22 minutes ago, Colin said:

Supplementary:- what strength solution?? 😉

Look on the pack of soda. If you want a quick job, use as much as will dissolve in hot water, but do not leave it overnight. Could be too severe.

We used to bathe in it in the 1950's after it came out of the old 'Copper' on washday.

1 hour ago, Colin said:

Good God! And you still have skin??!!?? :o

By the time it had assisted the weekly wash, combined with grated Sunlight Soap, I guess that the 'Sting' had been taken out of it. Probably only a cupful of crystals in five gallons of rain water. That was drawn from the well or run off the garden shed roof.

Five of use were rinsed in warmed up rainwater. The sink had a pump connected to the well. Rural East Sussex in 1950. Cold running water was plumbed in in 1952. Oddly, we had electricity.

Nothing was wasted. The dustmen were hardly required.

21 hours ago, Colin said:

I hope you are writing your memoirs  . . . !

One of the MOST frightening things I have done in recent times was to go to Bliss, village near Ironbridge, Far too much stuff allegedy "old and ancient" Is what I remember as a youngster!!.

Pete

22 hours ago, PeteH said:

One of the MOST frightening things I have done in recent times was to go to Bliss, village near Ironbridge, Far too much stuff allegedy "old and ancient" Is what I remember as a youngster!!.

Pete

Ah... Ironbridge... my first experience of Morris Men and their music, back in the 1970s. How I love Olde Englande.