My 'modern' (2010) Insurance cost.

Jeffds1360

Just had my renewal from the AA for my CR-Z.........£202.60 !!! up nearly 20% on last year

A long phone call later, got it down to 188. Said NO and it came down to 175

I then went to More Than with whom I insure the house and contents. .... 141.24. 

this is '5*' as well. ............shows what half an hour on the phone can do :)

As an aside, my little Amica is 140 (with AA) and Plum is £80 with Lancaster

Over here Insurance has always been considerably higher than the mainland, mostly to do with the land border across which stolen vehicles disappear with amazing regularity. My modern, a 1.6 diesel Mondeo, cost me over £400 last August, but what I really dislike is when you get a quote, say £480, and then you phone up and they say: 'Oh look we can do that for £425'. Why can't they do that in the first place?

I tried to get a multi car quote for our three cars from PJ but they didn't want to know. '72 Spit, '01 Micra & '16 Toyota hatchback. This was by phone not over t'internet. They actually said that they would not be competitive. I was very surprised. Could be an age thing though. Just got the Spit done with them in the end.

• 1 year later...

A year later and it happened again!  Written quote of £211, After one 10 min. phone call ........down to £160 !!! (AA for my CR-Z)

Used the comparison sites as a carrot. (or stick, depending on which side you are :) )

What a con for those who auto renew.............. over 25% !

40 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

A year later and it happened again!  Written quote of £211, After one 10 min. phone call ........down to £160 !!! (AA for my CR-Z)

Used the comparison sites as a carrot. (or stick, depending on which side you are :) )

What a con for those who auto renew.............. over 25% !

Conversly my modern insurance with Aviva went up under a pound. The comparison sites came up with best quotes about 30% more for equivelent cover (incluing european use etc) or a mere 20% if I was happy to pay extra to take the car into europe. So I just renewed.... but that is the first time in at least 15 years I haven't had to change insurance company to get a decent price.

• Thanks 1

Insurance is a strange "calling". Eg; Wife has licence, but can only cope with auto`s, and likely will never drive it. However if I put her on my insurance I save 10%. My Grandaughter, 26 is a steady driver, but to put her on, almost doubles the premium!!.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Insurance is a strange "calling". Eg; Wife has licence, but can only cope with auto`s, and likely will never drive it. However if I put her on my insurance I save 10%. My Grandaughter, 26 is a steady driver, but to put her on, almost doubles the premium!!.

Pete

I have the same issue - youngest (22 this coming week) has had a full license for over 3 years - add her to my insurance and its a fortune and won't do it. One day I will. Eldest is 25 this year and has had a licence less than a year and adding her to the wifes insurance was fairly trivial. I know who I would rather sit next to!

Actually neither are bad drivers - just the eldest lacks confidence and has yet to drive on her own yet. :(  The Youngest will drive anywhere pretty much - perhaps not Birmingham by choice - but would if she had to!