Indicator cancel - GT6 Mk3 - steering column alignment

7 minutes ago, chrishawley said:

As per photo (ok, that's a spit but same principle)

I'd add a caution: which is to ensure that the nyloc nut is fully removed before jumping the taper out. An annoying situation to be in is to partially undo the nyloc, then  jump the taper and then find that the the nyloc is seized on the lower, rusty, portion of the threads. Removal can then become quite destructive.

Wagger beat me to it on the refiiting tip of using a nice clean, loose running,  plain nut to draw/lock the taper together. Then nyloc and not forgetting washer.

1974_Triumph_Spitfire_1500_Saphire_Blue_Dave_Braun_005.jpg

Yup, I've had that happen too. AND I have bruised the thread with the nut removed and caused myself grief when re-fitting. Luckily, I have some thread files.

Nice pictures. I dare not show mine as the whole thing is 'As original' with fifty years of surface corrosion apparent.

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

A name from the past! An engineering company on the industrial estate I worked had one. Gone now the same as Asquith Butler etc etc

No, just checked both are still going but only refurb and maintenance no new machines.

'Hardinge' is another one. In 1992 I worked for two guys who were stripping factories and Schools of machinery. I converted them from 3 to single phase for resale to the likes of 'Us'. Why did I not buy some for me? Shapers, Mills, drills and lathes would have beena mere £2k total. The 'Markup' was abot 70% after I'd done the conversions.

Long ago I spent a morning thumping a ball joint that wouldn't let go. I went indoors thinking "There must be a tool for this"

I searched the Interweb and found one on Ebay.  Then I thought "BUGGER! I've got one of those!"

Out to the garage, opened the drawer, there it was. :angry::wub:

Doug

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Wagger said:

'Hardinge' is another one

Wagger, they are American and still trading. In 2018 they transferred their turning and milling manufacturing from Taiwan back to the USA. 

Colchester, Harrison are now badge names in 600 Group range of machines. 

I remember going to Butlers in the 90's when looking to buy a 3m cnc mill. I then went to Mecof in Italy who were technically years ahead. A shame. I also bought a 5m mill....from Anayak based in North Spain. 

Sorry for thread drift..... 

Iain 

Memories?. DSG, Lang, Colchester, Harrison, All long gone or been "absorbed". Worked on them all as aprentice and Journeyman, on the Maintenance Gang, before exiting "stage left" into the M-N. British Machine tool makers, where (sadly) a victim of the same issues which beset UK Motorcycle makers, and in my case Excavator Manufacturers. Too expensive and behind the times in most cases. I have a Drummond lathe on my Bench (1944), rescued from a Dairy in Somerset that closed, bought for pennies as "scrap". I`m ashamed to say it really needs a good coat of TLC. Maybe one day?. I have a 13/60 to finish first! (more thread drift). The old "two hammers" trick works too. A simultaneoues "crack" on both sides of the arm.

Pete

53 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Machine tool makers, where (sadly) a victim of the same issues which beset UK Motorcycle makers

Very true, around Keighley there were many good machine manufacturers that for various reasons just fell by the wayside. DSG were the 'Rolls Royce' of lathes. 

5 hours ago, chrishawley said:

As per photo (ok, that's a spit but same principle)

I'd add a caution: which is to ensure that the nyloc nut is fully removed before jumping the taper out. An annoying situation to be in is to partially undo the nyloc, then  jump the taper and then find that the the nyloc is seized on the lower, rusty, portion of the threads. Removal can then become quite destructive.

Wagger beat me to it on the refiiting tip of using a nice clean, loose running,  plain nut to draw/lock the taper together. Then nyloc and not forgetting washer.

1974_Triumph_Spitfire_1500_Saphire_Blue_Dave_Braun_005.jpg

There was a naughty cartoon on the Training School wall. A matchstick figure of a Nut with legs being chased by a bolt with legs (Not Usain, luckily for the Nut). The Nut was screaming 'No, not without a washer'.

These things are never forgotten. Today's apprentices may never see this or 'Run Off You Great Big Idiot Violet' for the colour spectrum. I will not repeat the words for the resistor colour code. BBROYGBVGW. Even the clean version is considered politically incorrect, 'Dammit'.

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Memories?. DSG, Lang, Colchester, Harrison, All long gone or been "absorbed". Worked on them all as aprentice and Journeyman, on the Maintenance Gang, before exiting "stage left" into the M-N. British Machine tool makers, where (sadly) a victim of the same issues which beset UK Motorcycle makers, and in my case Excavator Manufacturers. Too expensive and behind the times in most cases. I have a Drummond lathe on my Bench (1944), rescued from a Dairy in Somerset that closed, bought for pennies as "scrap". I`m ashamed to say it really needs a good coat of TLC. Maybe one day?. I have a 13/60 to finish first! (more thread drift). The old "two hammers" trick works too. A simultaneoues "crack" on both sides of the arm.

Pete

There is a 'Two brick' version of this for another process.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

In the RAF the mnemonic used was Betty Brown Runs Over Your Garden But Violet Grey Walks. As for the rainbow, we were taught Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.

Not quite so memorable, but good and clean. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Wagger said:

There was a naughty cartoon on the Training School wall. A matchstick figure of a Nut with legs being chased by a bolt with legs (Not Usain, luckily for the Nut). The Nut was screaming 'No, not without a washer'.

These things are never forgotten. Today's apprentices may never see this or 'Run Off You Great Big Idiot Violet' for the colour spectrum. I will not repeat the words for the resistor colour code. BBROYGBVGW. Even the clean version is considered politically incorrect, 'Dammit'.

You mean this!!

There's a correct Engineering Process!.jpg

• Haha 2