Trunnion right or left

Pdv

Hi All,

A simple question that I think I know the answer. The trunnions are fitted right and left but I assume the car is viewed right from the drivers position.

I have fitted some to my other car so I will check that I have fitted them correctly.

Thanks 

Steve 

13 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

not been and read the manual but the uprights are handed and cannot get mixed up as far as L and R goes 

Yet L and R can, depends on the manual - some say 'looking from the front of the car' whilst others say 'looking forward' as the driver would. It still confuses me from time to time, especially things like early Herald front uprights which are absolutely identical (later ones are visibly handed) so I have to confirm that LH means the left side of the car as it faces forward, not the left side as you stand in front looking at it. 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

same as in uk NO1 was at the front   not the back as some

I recently found out, not without much amusement, that the French call N° 1 cylinder the one at the back on their classics.

I also have the added confusion when talking of 'côté conducteur' here. My 13/60 is a RHD version I imported 😵

Can't used 'Offside' and 'Nearside' either can we. Thanks to the US and Napoleon.

In maths, anticlockwise is 'positive' and clockwise is negative with regard to angular rotation. Make nonsense of remembering compass directions and where Sine, Cosine and Tangents are + or - . I love maths but I am not good at it.

I am told that there is no way of communicating Left and Right to aliens in the universe if they should see Voyagers 1 & 2.

57 minutes ago, Wagger said:

I am told that there is no way of communicating Left and Right to aliens in the universe if they should see Voyagers 1 & 2.

In the USA. I am a "Legal Alien".🤣 And Father/Grandfather to "Citizens"🤣.

Pete

3 hours ago, Wagger said:

I am told that there is no way of communicating Left and Right to aliens

That's not quite true but our definition of left and right is always self-referential, or based on some other arbitrary classification. To get a definition that only uses physical constants turns out to be very hard. Some highly complex organic chemistry might be involved.

Aah but if I remember correctly when is Front not actually FRONT, answer when it’s a Triumph rear transverse spring, when you put the FRONT stamp at the front you read it backwards and when the stamp is at the back of the spring it reads it frontwards. Just to confuse you further I believe In reality it makes no difference where the FRONT stamp is located

I’ll get my hat and coat on the way out!  It’s why I love Triumphs there just illogical.

Im sure youre right  its only my view but the front marking was to stop dimbo operators on the line from asking  but which way round so they marked it to 

solve the question 

i never found any clues that would make the spring handed in any way,        a original drawing would give the answer

anyone aware of any spring eye angular  requirements  joining the upright  or the need for spring clamp bolts  to be handed ??

someone knows   where are they 

Pete

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

That's not quite true but our definition of left and right is always self-referential, or based on some other arbitrary classification. To get a definition that only uses physical constants turns out to be very hard. Some highly complex organic chemistry might be involved.

Well the Romper Room Do-Bee always knew what was right.

Ref rear springs I always put the nuts to the rear so that the bolt head gets the brunt of the road damage, but the leaves are identical so no reason whatsoever for a front / rear that I've ever found.

Hi All,

A couple of things that may help others replacing trunnions, 0one having cleaned up the trunnions and the stub axle assembly I noticed the axle assembly's are stamped right and left as well so nice and easy.

Also found that the trunnions  were greased not oiled so a note to one of the things to check when acquiring a new car.

I say this as the car cam from a guy who was also selling a Vitesse and a Frogeye Sprite and appeared to be knowledgeable, I know never assume.

Steve